1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Question women and dresses

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by RightFromWrong, Aug 11, 2005.

1. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

Aww, shucks, twern't nothin' [​IMG]

2. Rachel

Rachel New Member

It IS hard to find decent clothes for church or for anywhere you want to wear them. I always hate what's in style. uggg That's one reason I never liked shopping, I get so frustrated in the stores. But that has always made me husband happy...that I'm not a shopper. LOL

3. Johnv

Johnv New Member

My wife would disagree with you. She typically has no problem finding new clothes, and she's not exactly model-petite-figured. Perhaps the issue is not finding decent clothing, but finding a style that you like. Big difference.

But thankfully, my wife is not a big shopper, which pleases me to no end. [​IMG]

4. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

LOL John, it may also have to do with the number of stores available to shop from!!

If I really want selection, I have to drive 60 miles. Otherwise I have Belk, JC Penney's, Walmart, Kmart, and a handful of smaller shops to choose from. Belk and Penney's carry pretty much the same selection as do Walmart and Kmart.

There's no TJ Max, Old Navy, or any of those things here, much less anything higher end like Banana Republic or Parisian(do they have those on the west coast?).

5. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I gotta admit, customer selection is by no means lacking in Orange County. There are seven major malls within 10 miles, including:

Main Place Mall - Santa Ana (A scene from the film "Kindergarten Cop" was filmed here)
    The Block at Orange
    South Coast Plaza - Costa Mesa
    The Village at Orange
    The Brea Mall
    Puente Hills Mall (served as the "Twin Pines Mall" in the film "Back to the Future")
    Irvine Spectrum Center

And yes, we have Banana Republic.

[ September 14, 2005, 01:50 PM: Message edited by: Johnv ]

6. Joanna

Joanna New Member

Right From Wrong wrote: After being in a few IFBC one of their BIG issues was that women should wear dresses all the time or they were not Godly.

I think the issue is that God wants there to be a clear difference between men and women's appearance. A girl or woman should always try to look as feminine as possible. [​IMG] Also her clothes should be modest and suited for the occasion - I don't like to work in the garden in a skirt, but would NEVER think of going to church in pants.
    And yes it is hard to find decent clothes in some areas. In our neck of the woods the stores mostly carry pant, pants, pants. :mad: That seems to be what most women want. So my daugter & I make most of our own skirts. The odd skirt we find in a store won't be long enough anyway.
    [​IMG]

7. Johnv

Johnv New Member

The fact that women have different shaped hips, and have breasts, makes the point. Yet some who insist women must "dress differently" than men often also hypocritically insist that those same hips and breasts must be covered up to the point where no one knows they exist. That's a good example of legalism.

Believe me, if I wear jeans and a sweater, and my wife wears teh same style jeans and a sweater, she's gonna look like a girl, and I'm gonna look like a dude.

You're implying that pants are not decent for church. If that's not an example of legalism, I don't know what is.

DOn't get me wrong, if you choose not to wear pants in church, that's certainly your prerogative. But to equate the wearing of pants by women as not decent, well, that's classic legalism. BTW, you can always do your shopping on the internet. I do it all the time, and I'm always satisfied with the quality.

8. bapmom

bapmom New Member

Hi Joanna!

Glad you are here! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Couldn't agree with you more!

Please JohnV? Can we not start it again? I thought that was the general sentiment?

ps. The legalism accusation brought something to mind that a lady said to me at church the other day....."Sure Im a legalist! I believe in God's laws and I legally stand by them!"
    I love it, and I had to share!

9. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Sorry, babmom, but the issue of legalism is a legit concern, don't ya think?

10. bapmom

bapmom New Member

JohnV,

yes sir, but I contend that saying that she would NEVER wear pants to church is not legalism. It is her conviction. Do we not have the right to have convictions, firm convictions, without being called legalistic?

Perhaps we should start another thread so as not to keep this particular issue in the discussion?

11. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Personal conviction is fine. I said that already. But measuring the standards for other christians by your own personal convictions is legalism. No need to start another thread. The issue here is the specific of women and dresses.

12. bapmom

bapmom New Member

but John,

she didn't measure anyone else. I know I wasn't either. Even in this issue, when Ive been called legalistic, Ive always stated it was my own conviction....yet we are still called legalists.

She was quite proper in her phrasing, I thought, and very non-judgemental about what others may or may not do.

I honestly think you read too much into the post. No one was measuring anyone else....only their own actions.

13. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Quote: "...it is hard to find decent clothes in some areas. In our neck of the woods the stores mostly carry pant, pants, pants."

Equating pants with not being decent? That's a bit over the top.

14. bapmom

bapmom New Member

Still her conviction, John.

And its hard to find decent clothes in my area too. IF they are dresses, they are too low in the neck area, or too high in the skirt area......now is my stating that a comment on anyone else? No, it is a comment on what I consider to be decent for myself.

15. Johnv

Johnv New Member

You pointed out that this is decent for yourself. The post about pants made no such distinction.

16. bapmom

bapmom New Member

Why does it have to, John?

Why assume that she, or I, or anyone else, is making a measurement of anyone else's actions? Why not at least give us the benefit of the doubt that we are only stating our own convictions?

Ive never felt pressured by anyone stating their belief. People have told me that they believe women, in fact, OUGHT to wear pants in certain situations. This does not change my opinion, nor do I call them legalistic because they think Im immodest because I wear a dress while walking up stairs. (Its extreme, but Ive heard it.)

17. Johnv

Johnv New Member

The poster of that comment is welcome to comment as to whether it was her own personal conviction strictly, or whether she does feel that it's inappropriate for women in general to wear pants.

18. Joanna

Joanna New Member

Thanks for sticking up for me Bapmom! [​IMG] When I said "pants, pants, pants, I was merely expressing my frustration with the shopping in our area. Our daughter wears pants almost everyday because her line of work would be impossible in a dress. As I said I wear them often for my frequent outside work. Besides in our northern climate we need them to keep warm in winter.
    But for church, I don't approve of them. Shouldn't we appear before God in our best? For instance anyone having an audience with the queen, or the pope is expected to dress according to certain standards. If we would dress up to visit and earthly monarch how much more for our Lord! If that's legalism, then so be it.

19. Joanna

Joanna New Member

By the way my definition of legalism is where one hopes to earn his salvation by keeping the law. If I'm saved it is through grace alone through faith alone - none of my own poor works can possibly count.

20. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I want to start another thread titled "should men wear kilts".