1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Questionable Decision

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Terry_Herrington, Feb 3, 2007.

1. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you feel like I jumped on your statement or if I have troubled you by not understanding you, then I am sorry.

I don't agree with a mandate either. I just didn't understand what I saw as an implication that cervical cancer = sin. Apparently I misunderstood you.

I think I understand you now.

And I still disagree with those "some people". This issue is not about sex. It's about cancer that comes from sexual activity. Whether innocent or immoral.....it's still about the cancer.

My understanding is and has been from information from the CDC and the medical community that there are about 100 viruses in the HPV family. About 30-40 of those causing 99% of all cervical cancer.

Just because you have HPV doesn't mean you will get cervical cancer.

But if you have cervical cancer, you got it from HPV.

And if people followed simple principles of hygiene and sanitation (some of which were addressed in the Law of the OT), then we wouldn't have had the Bubonic Plague.

Yes.....people need to adhere to the morality of the bible. That's a given. Yes.....immorality is an underlying factor in the need for this vaccine.

But as I addressed earlier, there are many women who do address the standards of morality of the bible and catch the virus anyway, including women who are raped, which I did not include.

Do we throw the baby out with the bath water?

You are right....obedience to God's plan is the better option, in fact it's the best option. But people are not opting for that and too many innocent people are suffering for it.

I do not believe that this vaccine should be mandated for school age girls. It should be encouraged for high school girls, not as a protection as an immoral lifestyle's consequences, but as protection against such things as I have already mentioned that are beyond their control.

Again, I am sorry if you felt misunderstood.

#21 Scarlett O., Feb 3, 2007
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2007
  2. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    If it helps to prevent cancer, then yes it does.

3. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Very logical pattern of thinking and conclusion. If I were a mother, I would have the same opinion. :thumbs:

4. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

HPV is always the result of sinful activity. It may not be immediate sin, but somewhere along the line, someone participated in sinful activity to contract it or to contract it and pass it on to someone else in non-sinful activity.

I think it is actually 3-4 types that cause most cervical cancer. I can't remember the numbers now. (HPV is numbered.)

Technically speaking there are not innocent people. We are all sinners. And the effects of sin are passed onto all of us in various ways. That's not to say that someone might not be an innocent victim of a situation, but that's relatively speaking, not absolute.

Don't be sorry. My issue is that the my post was not read carefully and assumptions were drawn about something that was not said. I think posts need to be read more closely, so as to respond to what is actually said, rather than what is not said.

5. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just this morning in my bible reading, I read in 1 Corinthians where Paul admonished the church not to have divisions amongst each other and to have the same mind and judgments.

So, because of my conviction this morning based on that reading, I will be brief in what I have to say to you about being called an attacker.

This discussion prompted many opinions.......opposing opinions. Controversial opinions like this always do. And sometimes in sharing those opinions, people do not make themselves clear which can lead to further opposing opinions.

Sometimes the opinions escalate into bitter fights and name-calling.

That did not happen here. Not by a long shot.

I don't know if you really felt myself and another poster were attacking someone or if you just used that word "attacker" flippantly. Attacking people can get you banned from the BB.

I was not attacking anyone. I am not attacking you. And I did not feel attacked by your comments. I am just asking that you not throw that word around so casually.

#25 Scarlett O., Feb 3, 2007
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2007
  6. Terry_Herrington

Terry_Herrington New Member

I'm not against the vaccine at all! I'm against this being mandatory, and I'm considering about the connection between Perry and Merck.

7. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

This is not a true statement. Not all cervical cancers are caused by HPV infection - but the majority are. I have numerous close friends who were diagnosed with cervical cancer and only 1 had HPV. So having cervical cancer does not mean that you have HPV. HPV also causes other cancers - not just cervical.

8. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

I assume this is right, but even so, what if they were all caused by HPV? Do we want to punish people with cancer for making a mistake? To do so would be unChristian.

I am very untrusting of a company lobbying to make it mandatory for its product to be used. We also know that many drugs are approved and pulled back after massive health issues occur after their use. There can be unintended consequences.

Still, once it is proven safe and effective, I have no reason to be against mandatory vaccinations, given there are exemptions.

9. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Depending on who you rely on for medical information the statistics can read anywhere from 97.9% - 100%. That's high enough for me for a direct correlation.

I haven't studied other cancers and HPV. I'll have to do that.

10. Daisy

Daisy New Member

Considerations by whom? The sinful choice may not have been made by the woman but by her husband or by her husband's late wife. Should syphyllis be allowed to run its course if someone got it through a sinful deed?

How do you know? This particular cause of cervical cancer has only recently been uncovered. Until you know what the cause of testicular cancer is you can't claim that you know what isn't (well, within reason).

Perhaps as long as people with children think that cancer victims bring it upon themselves and so deserve it.

Preventing the spread of disease is a public health issue.

These are children and vaccines - has that generally been a secret? This wouldn't be the first mandated vaccine.

11. Daisy

Daisy New Member

It's been tested. The main concern with this vaccine, as I understand it, is that its effect may not be long-term enough not to require another innoculation thirty years down the line.

12. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Actually HPV is also indicated as a cause of penile cancer in men.

Daisy - Yes, the vaccine has been tested. BUT their target market is 12-17 year olds yet they only tested 2000 girls in that age group. That is NOT enough to figure out if it's safe or not - especially since there have been found some serious side effects from this. Honestly, if my daughter is going to have seizures from a vaccine, I'd rather wait to have them test it a bit more.

13. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

By those who object to the vaccination.

You would have to ask those who hold to that line of thinking.

the HPV/cervical cancer link has been known for a fairly long time, I believe. Testicular cancer, so far as I have heard, has never been connected with HPV.

That doesn't means it should be mandated, does it?

But that doesn't mean it should be mandated, does it? It really isn't a public health issue, since it is contagious only by those who choose to have sexual relations with someone who has it. The risk factor is very low.

They are not all children. Furthermore, I was mimicing those in favor of Roe who claim that medical decisions should be between a woman and doctor, and then want to support making this a mandatory vaccine.

I am not opposed to the vaccine, but I don't think there are yet enough tests to know what the long term effects are. Nor do I think it should be mandatory.

14. Daisy

Daisy New Member

That's assuming they object all for the same reasons.

Like you, I'm putting the question out there as it seems relevant.

Long enough to develop and test the vaccine, but not terribly long overall.

But it may be connected to something related to sex and sin.

Parents don't have absolute say over their children's health care; society has some vested concern.

It is a public health issue as it is contagious. Most people do have sex at some point in their lives and sexually contagious diseases are considered public health issues, same as other contagious and even non-contagious diseases.

It's an odd and ineffective argument since you haven't established that there is any significant correlation between those who would have the vaccine mandated and those who in favor of Roe.

How many tests do you think are necessary first? Do you think any vaccines should be mandatory?

15. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

I have NEVER seen HPV connected to 98-100% of any cancer.

Please feel free to post your link.

16. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

I apologize.

Scarlett,

I apologize. I should have been clearer in my statement.

There were those who were attacking Larry's argument. I should have delineated between their attack of his argument and the attack of him.

However, it would be nice if those attacking his argument would use truth rather than disinformation.

17. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    )1) This is from www.womenshealth.about.com

"Twenty-four million Americans may have the human papillomavirus (HPV), yet more than 76 percent of women in the United States have never heard of this sexually transmitted virus which causes virtually 100 percent of all cervical cancers."

(2) This is from the American Cancer Society website that I posted a link to in the other thread called "Men's and Women's Cancer" in All Other Discussions.

"For cervical cancer, the most important risk factor is infection with HPV (human papilloma virus)"

(3) This is from the National Cancer Institute www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Risk/HPV

"What is the association between HPV infection and cancer?

HPVs are now recognized as the major cause of cervical cancer. In 2006, an estimated 10,000 women in the United States will be diagnosed with this type of cancer and nearly 4,000 will die from it. Cervical cancer strikes nearly half a million women each year worldwide, claiming a quarter of a million lives."

(4) When I come back from church, I dig up my statistics claiming 97.9% from the Center for Disease Control.

#37 Scarlett O., Feb 4, 2007
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2007
  18. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm back from church....

(4.) Here a link from the Center for Disease Control, although it's not the 97.9% I saw a few years ago in some of their literature.....it's 100%.

www.cdc.gov/cancer/cervical/basic_info/reducing_risk.htm

"While an HPV infection is needed to develop cervical cancer, other factors increase a woman's risk of developing cervical cancer. A woman can best protect herself from cervical cancer by
    • Limiting her number of sexual partners
    • Getting screened regularly with a Pap test
    • Following up any abnormal Pap test results as recommended by her health care provider
    • Not smoking cigarettes"
    (5.) Here's one from the National Cervical Cancer Coalition.
    www.nccc-online.org

"High-Risk HPV Types are directly related to cervical cancer, yet many women are unaware of what HPV is or the relationship it has to cervical cancer disease."

(6.) And finally, the World Health Organization. Their claims are 99%
    www.who.int/reproductive-health/publications/hpvvaccines/text.pdf

"Virtually all cervical cancer cases (99%) are linked to genital infections from HPV, human papillomavirus which is the most common viral infection of the reproductive tract."

#38 Scarlett O., Feb 4, 2007
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2007
  19. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Just to make it clear, Guardasil is a vaccine for 4 different strains of HPV - out of 100 strains. 2 of the strains cause 70% of cervical cancer (still leaving 30% left) and the other 2 cause 90% of genital warts. So even being innoculated with Guardasil will not prevent cervical cancer. I also wonder how many women would stop getting Pap smears done thinking that they don't have to worry about it (thinking that they got the shot to prevent cervical cancer).

20. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's true, but it sure increase the odds of you not getting it. Sure, you still have a chance of cervical cancer with the other 96 strands of HPV, but the vaccine doesn't address those. If I were a young woman who was a virgin and was about to get married to a great guy who just happened not be a virgin.....I would get the vaccine. It would not be a slander against him, just protection for me, and therefore, for us.

I still don't like the mandatory vaccinations in school-age girls. And we know, as women, that there are medical products are marketed for us all of the time such as patches, pills, etc. whose side effects don't come to light until it is too late for many women.

The latest birth control patch (Orthro?) is now being questioned for that very reason.

Well, because it is not being targeting at sexually active women, one would hope that this would not be the case. But you and I both know there would be women who assumed so.