1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Questions about calvinism

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by ajg1959, May 26, 2008.

1. Dr. L.T. Ketchum

Dr. L.T. Ketchum New Member

I think you got it right Brother.

God stands outside of time, space, and matter.

He is both transcendental and immanent.

He sees the end from the beginning and knows all things actual and possible.

2. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your questions show that you don't understand Calvinism. Maybe you could spend some time educating yourself on something before you set out to condemn it or celebrate your lack of knowledge?

3. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==I am sorry that you have had those experiences. I suppose there are gloomy gusses in every group.

==That's fine, but we should all seek to know the Word of God better (either way). Calvinism is not an issue of fellowship.

4. PK

PK New Member

Don't waste your time. stick to "all" means "all"...

5. PK

PK New Member

Told you that they would try to run you away from Cloud....

6. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==Do you believe that God is sovereign and in control of all things or do you believe He is a by-standard that watches and knows but does not control?

7. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==Since I have no idea what you are talking about I can't respond in a meaningful fashion.

8. Dr. L.T. Ketchum

Sovereignty:What Does it Mean

9. here now

here now Member

Hi ajg1959,

Rest assured if one is earnestly asking for mercy and forgiveness and one believes in Jesus Christ, then he is elect.....plain and simple.

People that are not elect have absolutely NO desire for salvation.

10. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't view that as an answer to my question. I asked you, Dr. L.T. Ketchum, the question. I can read articles on the internet anytime. I asked you the question, will you answer?

Do you believe that God is sovereign and in control of all things or do you believe He is a by-standard that watches and knows but does not control?

11. here now

here now Member

The way you are trying to run ajg away from calvinism, hmmmm....

12. Dr. L.T. Ketchum

It is my article. Therefore, your question is already answered if you read the article.

I have already said, "
    He is both transcendental and immanent."

13. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    IOW, Dr.K, did God only get "the memo"? ( Not that I am alluding to a famous thread of mine or anything:)

14. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know that it is your article. I am not asking you to send me to a website like I am your student or something. I am not asking you to direct me to a book or other resource. I am asking you to answer my question directly, on this forum. The question should be very simple. Either you believe God is in control of His creation or you don't. Either you believe God is sovereign or you believe that God is at the mercy of His creation. Which is it? Do you believe that God is sovereign and in control of His creation or do you believe He watches and knows but does not control?

15. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ajg1959

You seem to have a sincere desire to understand "calvinism". The best thing to do, IMHO, is to study the scripture texts in depth.

When I was "saved", I really had very little understanding of scripture. I had not heard of "calvinism" or "armininism" or "dispensationalism" or any of the other "ism's".

As I studied on my own, I came believe certain things about salvation.

1. Salvation is completely a work of God.

2. Men/women are completely unable to come to God unless God intervenes in his/her life.

3. God, and God alone, chooses whom He will call to Himself for salvation. These people are His "chosen" ones, i.e. "the elect"

4. Salvation always transforms a person's life.

5. Some people will make false professions of faith/and are not saved.

6. The proof of salvation is not a profession of faith, but a transformed life that perseveres until death.

There were other things. The point is that I came to believe scripture clearly taught many of these "doctrines" long before I heard the word "calvinism".
    I want to make one point about what you said here.

If God looked into time and saw that you (or I) would believe, and then based His decision to show mercy to us based on that information, then "grace" is no longer "grace".

If God is responding to something we do in the granting of salvation, that is a work on our part.

If we respond to God's intervention (according to His purpose, desire, will) in our lives, then that is grace on God's part.

peace to you:praying:

16. Dr. L.T. Ketchum

If you want your question answered, its answered. If you do not want to read the answer then don't.

Another Calvinist with an anger management problem?

17. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not angry or anything like that, I just want to get a direct answer to a very simple question. Sadly, however, it seems that you either can't or won't give a direct answer. Instead you wish to refer me to your website where you have written a long, theologically problematic article. I must assume your refusal to answer the question with a simple, direct reply has to do with how you would answer the question.

18. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    IOW, Dr.K. may answer :"I believe God is sovereign, but not the way you Calvinists understand Sovereignty.Sure I believe He is in control of almost everything in the universe. But He dares not intrude into my space, my free will. God knows everything, but that doesn't mean that He actually controls or decrees anything like someone's salvation.I enjoy my philosophy. I like to regard it as fundamental.I hope more people come over to my website and learn what I know."

19. donnA

donnA Active Member

No, not actually, a poster who refuses to post an answer here on the board he was asked the questins at.