1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Questions on the Judgment of Believers

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Steven Yeadon, Nov 22, 2017.

1. Steven Yeadon

Steven Yeadon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I must add that I believe the problem with the view God is not fear inspiring is that you get false teachers like Mike Bickle who call the river of liquid fire before Jesus' throne (Daniel 7:9-10) "a river of love" instead of what it really is: a terrifying sign of Jesus' authority.

Also, if a man has the power to get rid of a thunderstorm or make sign in heaven with a wave of his hand, this is not a fiction book of fantasy, instead of overwhelming wonder at such a feat we will feel stark terror at the presence of the supernatural and at the man who could do such a thing.

2. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We will all give an account. That's all those verses are saying, but focusing on the reward or penalty is the wrong focus. Your union with Christ is what makes you acceptable to the Father, and your faith is counted unto you as righteousness. Christ's rewards are my rewards. What more could I ask?

But do not with a vile crown of frail bays
    Reward my Muse's white sincerity ;
    But what Thy thorny crown gain'd, that give me,
    A crown of glory, which doth flower always.

—John Donne

3. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for presenting doctrinal questions, supported by scripture!

Our Christian life is a life of striving to become Christ-like, and of serving Him. Before being saved, all our works of righteousness are as filthy rags. But when we are saved, we are new creations, created for good works. And God has promised us rewards for service. Our our judgement will evaluate our post salvation service. Some, will enter heaven abundantly (with earned rewards) but others will enter heaven as one escaping from a fire (without bringing anything - rewards - with them. Both are saved forever, but their rewards for effective service will differ.

The difference between "believers" is that God credited the faith of those in 1 Cor. 3:11-15 as righteousness, and therefore transferred them into Christ, causing them to be born anew and those of Matthew 7:21-23 whose faith was not credited as righteousness, and therefore they were not transferred into Christ, and therefore Christ "never knew them." They were never saved, never born anew, and all their works of righteousness were therefore as filthy rags to God.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God wants us to see Him now as our loving heavenly father !

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Steven Yeadon

Steven Yeadon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is true, but the issue is whether God is a grandpa giving gifts on holidays and visits? Or whether He is a Father like our dads, who disciplined their children and could be very harsh and scary at times for good reason (Hebrews 12:4-17). I see that I may be viewing God as not fatherly enough when combined with my fear of Him, I seem to leaning too much fear it seems when the two concepts must be held in tandem with other concepts like veneration, wonder, and holiness. However, I feel confident in saying God is like Santa Claus to most churchgoers, who is really an imaginary grandpa. When God is a Father who should incite veneration, wonder, the reality of the holy, love, adoration, healthy fear, and paternal feelings. All held in tandem.

Wow that last sentence would be a great thesis for a paper in a seminary class, I'll have to note it for further writing.