1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Quoting Others

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by rlvaughn, Apr 18, 2017.

1. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In another thread one of the commenters advised us to read and find out about what C.S. Lewis believed. After that he stated, "Many folks who should know better quote C.S. regularly." A few months or so back a friend on Facebook complained about quoting Oscar Wilde, citing his homosexual practices.

That brings to mind a question about quoting others. What is the criteria for quoting other people? If the quote is inspiring, truthful, good, useful, does it matter who said it? Must they be theologically sound? Morally upright?

If you have an opinion about quoting others, who it is wrong and right to quote, let's hear it. If you have biblical reasons beyond an opinion, that would be even better!

2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would say that the quote should have something to do with the thread OP.

Unless someone started a thread entitle "Interesting quotes"

3. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, I was thinking more generally, when we're blogging, when we're writing, when we're preaching, etc. Should we stay away from quotes of authors who are suspect, even if the quote might be true? If so, what about passing along quotes when we don't know who made the statement?

4. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Bible quotes ungodly people and the Devil himself. Sometimes an ungodly person says something true.

C.S. Lewis had some valuable insights and some worthless ones.

I really appreciated the ministry of James M. Boice. Yet he quoted a number of suspect individuals. I wish he had provided cautionary words advising people not to buy into the theology of these individuals just because Boice quoted them.

5. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here's a rundown of people quoted by Albert Mohler in an address:

Hear Mohler out West

Besides Martin Luther King, Mohler's text was Flannery O'Connor, Dorothy Parker, The Pew Research Center, sociologist Christian Smith, Peter Berger, philosopher Charles Taylor, Karl Marx, historians Will and Ariel Durant, Pitirim Sorokin, French Intellectual Pascal Bruckner, Barbara Defoe Whitehead, USA Today, Antonin Scalia, Augustine, and "back to Flannery O'Connor again".

• Like Like x 1
  6. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    'Or we may want to quote an ungodly person- regardles of what they said - even if it is a lie - so that we may properly warn others.. EG - the devil & Eve - "And the serpent said unto the woman, Ye shall not surely die:"
    (Gen 3:4)

7. John Allman

John Allman New Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree with Eccles, though I won't quote the writer's words verbatim for now. Like so many decisions, each decision to use a relevant quote is an individual decision. There aren't any hard and fast rules, always do this, or never do that. We have good ideas and bad ideas, and need to tell one from the other, wisely, not automatically.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Generally, with me, it's whichever quote/saying/proverb/scripture that best articulates the thought I'm trying to communicate. It also shows that I'm not alone in my thinking, there's at least one other that shares my thoughts.

[add]

....the thought just occurred to me, there was an outstanding restaurant down on the KY River called 'Johnny Allman's' several years ago. Great seafood, catfish dinners, beer cheese among other things.. :)

#8 kyredneck, Apr 19, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  9. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's a tactic (IMO, most of the time a dishonest one) meant to disqualify or negate your source in order to win or gain the upper hand in a debate. It shows that your opponent (often one of the board 'scholars') is more interested in 'winning' than actually considering your point(s) or arriving at the truth. Over the years I've learned much from sources like Strong's, Edersheim, and Pink, and I've had my quotes from them besmirched (again, often by a board 'scholar')....:

"You should update and get away from using Strong's"

"Edersheim was a pedobaptist"

"Pink stopped going to church"

#9 kyredneck, Apr 19, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I realize Al Mohler can be something of a lightening rod among Southern Baptists, but I have read Mohler with benefit in the past. (Haven't read much recently.) That said, when I saw the quote list above, it made me wonder if he had time left to quote the Bible! It should be the main source of quotes in the preacher's repertoire!

That is a good observation that is probably true in many cases.

Strong's still serves its purpose. Some people may have gotten too smart to notice.

Well, since all have sinned and come short of the glory of God, perhaps we should quote no one! (Of course, taking that approach, we might also have to stop speaking for ourselves as well.)

I think we cannot banish the idea of quoting someone just because of an error in belief, since Paul quoted Greek poets or philosophers in his message on Mars Hill (strategically, of course; Acts 17). The beliefs and practices of those men likely would not hold up to standards set as high for quoting as some would like.

Many times I find that someone else has already said something first and better. Why reinvent the wheel? Quote them and give them credit. And let's not steal their words and use them as if they were our own. Certainly, there can be times when a quote may seem to promote the person being quoted, and if so, there probably are times when we should think twice about quoting them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. JB_Reformed Baptist

JB_Reformed Baptist New Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The bottom line is one should not plagiarize, even if it is paraphrased. Most well-read people can tell if someone has ripped an idea directly from another without identifying its source. It is intellectual dishonesty.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Generally we quote someone because they possess wisdom.

The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom; all who follow his instructions have good insight. His praise endures forever.
    Psalm 111:10 (CSB)​

But are Christians the only ones with wisdom? (some might say that some Christians only have the beginning of wisdom)

I [wisdom] possess good advice and sound wisdom; I have understanding and strength.
    It is by me that kings reign and rulers enact just law;
    by me, princes lead, as do nobles and all righteous judges.
    Proverbs 8:14–16 (CSB)

Wisdom is found on the lips of the discerning,
    Proverbs 10:13a (CSB)

... wisdom is gained by those who take advice.
    Proverbs 13:10b (CSB)

Wisdom is the focus of the perceptive...
    Proverbs 17:24a (CSB)

...wisdom is vindicated by her deeds.
    Matthew 11:19 (CSB)
    Rob

• Like Like x 1
  13. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I hate to say it, but the purpose of the quote determines what is acceptable.

If one is debating politics, a quote from Karl Marx to either prove a point or disprove someone else's point is certainly acceptable. But I wouldn't quote Marx as a source of spiritual discernment.

As for Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest is probably my favorite play.

• Like Like x 2
  14. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree that the purpose is a factor that plays into it. I have been writing for my blog about preservation of the scriptures. I have chosen to quote several people who wouldn't agree with part of my proposition for the purpose of showing, in part, that on the general topic there is much wider agreement than some might suppose.

15. reformed_baptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not sure I'm following you? Are you merely speaking about using quotes positively? We use quotes for all kinds of things, eg, to prove what someone has said, to illustrate a point and to provide insight into a world view that is not our own - in such a situation it is entirely to quote those that we fundamentally disagree with.

However, when it comes to quote someone positively, whist the quote itself might be good and helpful - if the character of the person quoted is a distraction then it is a poor choice - think about the sermon where the preacher quotes Oscar Wilde - how many people in the congregation are suddenly distracted by thinking about him, rather then the point you are making.

16. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    All men are suspect ;).

I think we judge the quote (and the context of the quote) on it's own merit and not the person's views as a whole. We can, for example, learn from men like C.S. Lewis, N.T. Wright, and Karl Barth without adopting or even advocating their theologies as a whole. The reason we can do this is Lewis, Wright, and Barth are offering their insights (whether right or wrong) on Scripture (which remains the authority). I believe this is why evangelical theology as a whole can be indebted to men like N.T. Wright and Carl Barth on one hand while taking a stance against them on another. We can appreciate the truths that Lewis brings out, even when relying on George MacDonald, and at the same time leave behind what we've determined via Scripture to be error. What we are taking is the quote in relation its faithfulness to Scripture, not its faithfulness to the author's theology.

17. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The person on the Baptist Board was referring to quoting C. S. Lewis positively, yes. In the other reference re Oscar Wilde, the initial story goes back to a church putting a quote on their marquee, which source was not identified in the marquee but the complaining person in question knew it was by Oscar Wilde. (I suspect the church had no idea where it came from.)

I don't think we should throw caution to the wind, and can use wisdom in whom we quote. If Billy Graham and Adolf Hitler said basically the same thing about something, we'd want to quote Graham rather than Hitler, wouldn't we? (Unless maybe we were trying to prove that even someone as evil as Hitler could get something right once in awhile.) But on the other hand, I think it is easy to take criticism of quoting others way too far. Paul quoted Aratus or Cleanthes, or both. Who knows what kind of rascals they might have been? Who cares? But, again, it was a calculated quotation -- not, wow, this Aratus guy is great!

So, yes, perhaps a better way to ask the question is, where do you draw the line when using quotes in a positive manner?

18. reformed_baptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That comes down to knowing your audience - will the person been quoted become a distraction - if yes, then you loose the point of quoting them.

19. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have tried to develop some categories to represent the quotes used in the Bible. Seems like they naturally fall into what kinds they were, and for what purpose they were used. The categories are not mutually exclusive. The categories can be improved upon and expanded with your help.

Historical quoting would be quoting used in telling a story, so-and-so said such-and-such. In a sense all of the quoting in the Bible is historical in that God is using them in the context of telling his story/history. Kinds of quotes include verbatim/direct quote and paraphrase/indirect quote (including reference to what someone said). The use of quotes is often found in dialogue.

Sometime quotes are made approvingly. Any “Thus saith the Lord” quotes fall into this category, but quotes of men & women may be so used as well. In Titus 1:12-13 Paul refers to the words of a Cretan prophet as accurately identifying the characteristics of his own people.

Sometimes quotes are made disapprovingly. Luke 4:23, Jesus quotes what the Nazarenes will say. In Ezekiel 12:22-24 God says the Jews will no longer be able to quote the proverb they have been using.

Sometimes quotes are calculated to a purpose. In Acts 17:28 Paul quoted a Greek poet. It was something they would know, possibly believe and was relevant to the point he was making about what the unknown (to them) God was like.

Sometimes quotes are reminders. In Acts 20:35 Paul told the Ephesian elders to remember the words of Jesus, and then quoted him as saying, “It is more blessed to give than to receive.” Consider also Jude 1:17. These reminders are usually for the purpose of something like exhortation, motivation, and/or inspiration.

So what do you think? What kinds of quotes are found in the Bible, and for what purposes?

Thanks!