1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Racism and Prejudice

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Dr. Bob, Feb 18, 2004.

1. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    On another Board this topic was presented:

Our beloved KJV AND all other English translation come to us by the Eastern Catholic or Western Catholic church.

God used the Latin and Byzantine rite churches to preserve the Scriptures for us. Those guys who faithfully and accurately hand-copied the Scriptures down through the centuries were Catholic or Orthodox monks living in monasteries.

The guy who put together many of those manuscripts into the form known today as the Textus Receptus (the BEST according to some on the BB) was a Roman Catholic priest by the name of Desiderius Erasmus. He took the mass regularly during that time so as to "keep himself pure" during the process. Thank God for him.

Folks immediately let racism (Egyptian/Alexandrian) or religion (Roman Catholic) run amok in their thinking that somehow "Western = EVIL" and "Eastern = GOOD".

THEY ARE ALL CATHOLICS, friends! To say one group of documents are good because the Iraqi Christians used them and another bad because the Italian Christians used them is racism and prejudice, pure and simple.

Thoughts?

2. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Thoughts? I think that if you were a hammer, that nail would be squarely hit on the head. Amen to you!!!

3. BrianT

BrianT New Member

Good post.

Whenever someone say they reject "Alexandrian" manuscripts because of "Catholic" connections, while at the same time clinging to "Byzantine" manuscripts, I can only smirk. I think that most have little or know understanding of terms like "Byzantine", and what the signify. The terms have been simply repeated endlessly without context, until they have lost all meaning in the ears of many. I think "the church" is viewed from the tiny scope of a few decades of Baptist fundamentalism, instead of a couple of millennia of a much wider body of Christ - and the smaller one's view and understanding of Church history, the more one will have erroneous views about various topics within the church, as evidenced here in the Bible version forum.

Take a peek inside a typical Byzantine church. Visit http://www.byzantines.net/moreinfo/inside.htm to see who's been preserving those manuscripts for us. [​IMG]

Also, here's some beautiful pics of a Byzantine church near where I work: Click here

4. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe it might serve Onlyists(not just KJVOs) well to dwell upon what that messenger posted, & to study the history of the churches at Byzantium/Constantinople/Istanbul, and to closely read what Emperor Constantine added to Christianity while trying to make it acceptable to the "barbarians" within his realm. Also, as you've suggested, it wouldn't hurt them to find out just exactly what a "Byzantine" is.

5. Pastor KevinR

Pastor KevinR New Member

Dr Bob
    I don't know if this is in the same vien, but I know of two IFB colleges that encourage their students to go to two "Holy Lands." One, that being Israel, and the other "England, the land of the King James Bible." :eek: It seems like Israel gave us the Word Incarnate, and England, the Written Word! Sadly, I'm not kidding! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

6. SpiritWalker

SpiritWalker New Member

Colleges! My oh My! You meant to tell me that they will be launching waves of KJVO terrorists youths at us in frontal attacks. Well that's one way to do it. No one else will listen to them anymore. Yessiree - Get em young, Get em early, grill em, drill em and release em. By the time they grow up and learn the truth, there will be a whole new wave of trained replacements. [​IMG]

7. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    BrianT said:

I see it has departed from Byzantine tradition. It has pews. :D

8. mioque

mioque New Member

rsr, my hero [​IMG]

Brian linked to a Byzantine rite Catholic church instead of a 'real' Eastern-Orthodox church. That's why there are pews.

If only my little church looked like that. [​IMG]

Mioque (who is an IFB, but also a lover of nice kitschy churchart)

ps. Amen to that first post. [​IMG] [​IMG]