1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Rainbow Covenant - and floods

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by Covenanter, Feb 28, 2020.

1. Covenanter

Covenanter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    UK contributors are experiencing unprecedented storms & floods while people in other countries & hemispheres are experiencing intense heat, locusts, droughts, storms, etc.

The LORD promised in his "Rainbow Covenant" -
    "12 And God said: “This is the sign of the covenant which I make between Me and you, and every living creature that is with you, for perpetual generations: 13 I set My rainbow in the cloud, and it shall be for the sign of the covenant between Me and the earth. 14 It shall be, when I bring a cloud over the earth, that the rainbow shall be seen in the cloud; 15 and I will remember My covenant which is between Me and you and every living creature of all flesh; the waters shall never again become a flood to destroy all flesh. 16 The rainbow shall be in the cloud, and I will look on it to remember the everlasting covenant between God and every living creature of all flesh that is on the earth.” 17 And God said to Noah, “This is the sign of the covenant which I have established between Me and all flesh that is on the earth.”

Earlier the LORD assured Noah -
    "Then the LORD said in His heart, “I will never again curse the ground for man’s sake, although the imagination of man’s heart is evil from his youth; nor will I again destroy every living thing as I have done.
    22 “While the earth remains,
    Seedtime and harvest, Cold and heat, Winter and summer, And day and night
    Shall not cease.”"

The seasons are erratic, but down the millennia God's Covenant promise has been kept.
    BUT -
    The climatic occurrences of such severity that everybody is aware of climate change. This must strengthen our Gospel warnings & the Gospel call to REPENT!

We should be reminding people that this present earth will NOT remain forever. That Jesus has promised to return for resurrection & judgment.
    "10 But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night, in which the heavens will pass away with a great noise, and the elements will melt with fervent heat; both the earth and the works that are in it will be burned up. 11 Therefore, since all these things will be dissolved, what manner of persons ought you to be in holy conduct and godliness, 12 looking for and hastening the coming of the day of God, because of which the heavens will be dissolved, being on fire, and the elements will melt with fervent heat? 13 Nevertheless we, according to His promise, look for new heavens and a new earth in which righteousness dwells."

• Like Like x 1
  2. Reformed1689

Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Climate change is a natural cycle. Nothing to be hyper alarmist about. It is liberal nonsense. Should we preach the Gospel with a fervor? YES! But don't use liberal lies to do it.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. Covenanter

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When I woke up this morning I had a song in my mind - in bed I was singing this song in the Hereford Tescos. Hereford has suffered very badly from the floods.

River stay away from my door.

4. Covenanter

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Maybe - but the world is aware of climate change even if it proves to be a natural cycle that will reverse in a few years.

And we SHOULD BE ALARMIST about such events. Your attitude would encourage the scoffers Peter rebukes in 2 Peter 3.

Note Scripture - “While the earth remains..." There is an indication that the earth won't be remaining for much longer and that is a worry for the unbelievers.

Please don't continue to argue against climate change - whether man is making a contribution to global warming by increased CO2 emissions, & whether reducing such emissions would make a significant improvement is not want I want to discuss in the thread. I am familiar with the arguments.

5. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is a horrible abuse of Scripture.

6. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Matthew 24:6-8. "And you will hear of wars and rumours of wars. See to it that you are not troubled, for all these things must come but the end is not yet. For nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. And there will be famines, pestilences and earthquakes in various places. All these are the beginning of sorrows [or 'birth pains'].
    Romans 8:22. 'For we know that the whole creation groans and labours together with birth pangs until now.'

Three thoughts:
    1. The floods in Britain, the fires in Australia and California, and this Corona Virus are all things which Man, despite all his scientific prowess can do little or nothing to prevent or overcome. They may well be signs of God's anger with the wickedness of the world (cf. Amos 4:6-13) and a wake-up call.
    2. They are not necessarily signs of the end of the world. 'But the end is not yet.' When the Lord Jesus returns it will be as a thief in the night (e.g. cf. 1 Thessalonians 5:3).
    3. When one goes into a Maternity Ward, one hears cries of agony and sees doctors and nurses hurrying about. You might suppose that someone is dying; but on the contrary, something is coming to birth. Let us as Christians not be alarmed, but be about our Lord's business, telling people that something better than this poor fallen world is coming, and that by repenting and trusting in Christ they can be part of it..

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Scott Downey

Scott Downey Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The earth and heavens will remain until it is dissolved in a kind of fire. Then we get new heaven and a new earth wherein dwells righteousness. The original earth and heavens will 'flee away' from the presence of God then we get the white throne judgement. After that we get the new heavens and earth.
    Any global warming would be part of the plan of God in Him judging the world. God is in control of what happens down here.

Psalm 103 New King James Version (NKJV)
    Praise for the Lord’s Mercies
    A Psalm of David.

1 Bless the Lord, O my soul;
    And all that is within me, bless His holy name!
    2 Bless the Lord, O my soul,
    And forget not all His benefits:

3 Who forgives all your iniquities,
    Who heals all your diseases,
    4 Who redeems your life from destruction,
    Who crowns you with lovingkindness and tender mercies,
    5 Who satisfies your mouth with good things,
    So that your youth is renewed like the eagle’s.

• Like Like x 1
  8. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If we give all our money to the government, will that change the weather?

9. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It will be getting worse, as birth pangs, right before the Second coming itself!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    it makes sense, since he is a Partial pretierist!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bernie and the gang want it all period!

12. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Definitely! You should do it now. ;)

• Funny Funny x 2
  13. Steven Yeadon

Steven Yeadon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I actually like your post. Thank you for it, I have been watching the U.K. flooding on Sky News from here in the States.

I do not think of the radical change in the weather as others do. No city falls unless Yahweh causes it (Amos 3:1-8, especially 6). I live in Orlando FL, and in 2004 we got hammered by three hurricane hits. As a Christian years later, I understand that as Judgment. There are many reasons to Judge my city, that you would never know unless you lived here.

As for the global problem of radical weather change, it is multiple acts of God that show His great displeasure with many cities and even nations. Whether we call it Climate Change and blame it on mankind's actions or say it is due to solar cycles does not matter. What matters is that it is Yahweh's will and is clearly Judgment, given the scale. Mankind will not avert God's Judgment by limiting CO2 emissions, but instead by repentance and faith in Jesus Christ.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why is it clearly judgement?

• Useful Useful x 1
  15. Steven Yeadon

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Because no city (let alone nation) suffers calamity unless Yahweh causes it (Amos 3:1-8, especially 6). We are seeing whole nations being destroyed as in Zimbabwe. Where their drought has lasted so long, it may not be a viable country soon.

16. Marooncat79

Marooncat79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

If God Himself does not control the weather and the seasons then He is not worthy of worship, honor and praise!

Scripture is quite clear that God does indeed control the weather, the seas etc. thats the point in a couple of Gospel accounts ie Jesus calming the storm and walking on water.

God is over all

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, God is sovereign over everything. But the normal hurricanes, etc, are a pattern of the original judgment, the curse. Do not be quick to say it is a judgement for a specific action. That is not to say it isn't, but you have yet to say how it is clearly that.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Steven Yeadon

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I honestly don't fully understand God's reasons, but the bible seems clear that the calamity of cities and nations are Judgment. The Book of Amos indicates that multiple times in its first 3 chapters. Now I do not mean this to apply to individuals. The Book of Job teaches we as humans do not understand why the righteous suffer.

19. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, there is a GENERAL judgment on the earth, it's called the curse. But with the Amos passage specifically, you need to be careful and remember the genre you are reading. What is the purpose of that whole passage? What is the intent? What is actually being taught here?

It is in no way teaching that every natural disaster, or even a series of natural disasters, are specific judgments.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Steven Yeadon

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amos chapters 1-3 indicate in verse 3:6 that calamity befalls cities because the Lord caused it.

I would normally consider this a theocratic passage aimed solely at Israel and Judah. However, the context of chapters 1-2 in which gentile cities are marked out for destruction for specific crimes even they know to be wrong. The context of the verses before 3:6, which are verses 3:3-5, are all statements of general fact leading up to such a bold statement about God's ways in verse 3:6. The only theocratic aspect seems to be the reasons given for the destruction to befall Judah and Israel in 2:4-3:2. They have broken the Law of God in specific, unrepentant ways. Thus, breaking the covenant from the time of Moses.

This means that history and the nations are utterly in the hands of God as He metes out justice upon the cities and nations of the earth to this day.

• Agree Agree x 1