1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Rapture - I would be afraid not to believe in one

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by rockytopva, Nov 11, 2022.

1. rockytopva

rockytopva Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    If I had to pick an end time date I would go, word by word, with the scientist, Isaac Newton...

"And I heard the man clothed in linen, which was upon the waters of the river, when he held up his right hand and his left hand unto heaven, and sware by him that liveth for ever that it shall be for a time, times, and an half. " - Daniel 12:7

From a folio cataloged as Yahuda MS 7.3g, f. 13v:

"So then the time times & half a time are 42 months or 1260 days or three years & an half, reckoning twelve months to a year & 30 days to a month as was done in the Calendar of the primitive year. And the days of short lived Beasts being put for the years of lived kingdoms, the period of 1260 days, if dated from the complete conquest of the three kings A.C. 800, will end A.C. 2060." - Isaac Newton

As Charlemagne was crowned king on December 25, 800 by Pope Leo the III so the day of Christ's coming will be on Christmas Day, 2060. If the rapture of the saints (1 Thessalonians 4:16-17) occurs seven years before the time of Christ’s coming the date of the rapture 12.25 2053. However Isaac Newton notes

"It may end later, but I see no reason for its ending sooner. This I mention not to assert when the time of the end shall be, but to put a stop to the rash conjectures of fancifull men who are frequently predicting the time of the end, & by doing so bring the sacred prophesies into discredit as often as their predictions fail. Christ comes as a thief in the night, & it is not for us to know the times & seasons which God hath put into his own breast." - Isaac Newton

And this know, that if the goodman of the house had known what hour the thief would come, he would have watched, and not have suffered his house to be broken through. Be ye therefore ready also: for the Son of man cometh at an hour when ye think not. - Luke 12:39-40

I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith: Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing. - 2 Timothy 4:7-8

If I were not looking for Christ to come at any time… And he did just that… I would be afraid as punishment I would be left behind.

2. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Reminds me of Harold Camping and his attempt at date setting in his book 1994?.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. rockytopva

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Please read the entire quote.. "It may end later, but I see no reason for its ending sooner. This I mention not to assert when the time of the end shall be, but to put a stop to the rash conjectures of fancifull men who are frequently predicting the time of the end, & by doing so bring the sacred prophesies into discredit as often as their predictions fail. Christ comes as a thief in the night, & it is not for us to know the times & seasons which God hath put into his own breast." - Isaac Newton

So... We are trying to avoid the Camping type stuff. I live as though Christ could come today. Also understanding it could still be decades down the road.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Continues to remind me of Harold Camping who left himself a way out in his book, 1994?: "the possibility does exist that I could be wrong."

5. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You won't be left behind when Christ returns. Either you are lifted up to the skies as our Warrior King returns to utterly destroy the enemies of God, or you remain on earth and face Jesus judgment because of your rebellion.
    Since you claim Jesus as your King and Savior, I tell you that you will be lifted up to meet Jesus as he comes to destroy his enemies.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. rockytopva

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Noting....

1. I like Isaac Newton
    2. Not so much Harold Camping

So many wild scenarios today I have no interest in getting to yet another in the form of Harold Camping. But... Isaac Newton gave us some time figures.... Stating them in a graceful way!

7. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've said all I am going to say about this. :Biggrin

I am an amillennialist whose favorite commentary is More Than Conquerors by William Hendrksen. So I don't go along with all of this "Left Behind" stuff that many people subscribe to. Neither am I going to argue over eschatology. I am quite satisfied where I stand on the subject, taking the Bible as a whole.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. rockytopva

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    And in the end...

But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only. - Matthew 24:36

And Christ then continues... But as the days of Noah were, so shall also the coming of the Son of man be... We are living in times such as those of Noah!

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Like I said, I am not going to argue over eschatology. Have a good day! :)

10. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    And we have been for 3,000 years.

peace to you

11. Marooncat79

Marooncat79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Harold was right. It did happen

12. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    What did happen? Not the rapture.

13. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Revelation 20:1-6, Revelation 22:18-19, ". . . For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book: And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the tree of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book. . . ."

14. rockytopva

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    And to recall a scripture...

Therefore be ye also ready: for in such an hour as ye think not the Son of man cometh. - Matthew 24:44

I can imagine...

Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord. - 1 Thessalonians 4:17

I can imagine all of us being gathered together in the clouds and saying amongst ourselves... I never would have thought it would have been today!

15. rockytopva

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The key to a wonderful spirituality...

And this know, that if the goodman of the house had known what hour the thief would come, he would have watched, and not have suffered his house to be broken through. Be ye therefore ready also: for the Son of man cometh at an hour when ye think not. - Luke 12:39-40

I find when one anticipates possibilities of the coming of Christ as something that can occur at anytime... A wonderful spirituality follows.

16. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The prefix a- is a bit of a misnomer. Amillennialists, postmillennialists, and premillennialists all accept Revelation 20:1-6. The difference is over what the meaning is of the thousand years, not the existence of a period of time commonly called the "millennium" among Bible students, even those of us who do not believe that it is a literal thousand years.

#16 KenH, Nov 12, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2022
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  17. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is no rational Biblical bases not to understand Revelation 20:1-6 as yet actual future events.

18. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  19. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  20. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Old Testament Israel's time ran out in 70 A.D.

Now I have no desire to keep going back and forth over eschatology. I see no point in it. I find it to be tiresome and I much prefer to discuss soteriology. That's why I posted the link to my favorite commentary on the book of Revelation and would like for that to pretty much suffice for my contribution to this discussion.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1