1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ray Comfort...Hell's best kept secret

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by yeshua4me2, Jul 27, 2005.

1. yeshua4me2

yeshua4me2 New Member

i have read the book Way of the Master, and have heard Ray's (the Bible's) message "Hell's Best Kept Secret. i think (from experiance) that this is a most effective form of evangelism. Before reading and hearing these messeges i preached a different gospel....God loves you and has a wonderful plan for your life. I have had many of nights to wonder why (after using the "Love gospel") those who "accepted Jesus into their hearts" would not have changed lives, or any "motivation" for righteousness. I had gotten saved because i knew i was guilty, and immediatly my life began changing (not over night, but by the next year, very few of my old friends reconized me, bacause of my behavior), and culminated with God ending all major sins in my life, still sin but no where near where i did before.

Now i have come across those (in my church) who say you should never use hell for motivation for salvation. what??????

I changed to the Law and then Salvation message, because of this....

from Ray Comfort:
    If you could go back in time to sept 10, 2001, and preach the Gospel to the people who would die the next day, (keep in mind you KNOW what is going to happen), How would "God Loves you and has a wonderful plan for your life" work for these people?

thankyou and God Bless

2. StraightAndNarrow

StraightAndNarrow Active Member

Jesus said to Nicodemus:

Jhn 3:3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.

A born again person is completely changed. It is obvious to everyone who meets him. Thou who argue that we are saved by grace only (we are) but then nothing matters from that point on preach a false gospel. If we don't have an ongoing relationship with Jesus Christ our Lord, we aren't saved. It's as simple as that.

3. Kiffen

Kiffen Member

I like Ray Comfort. His program is one of the few Biblical programs on TBN. I plan on using his 8 week Evangelism course to teach at my Church. Him and Kirk Cameron use of Law and Gospel is awesome. I don't think he is a Calvinist (Though he is quoted in the New DVD THE HISTORY AND THEOLOGY OF CALVINISM and John MacArthur endorses His Evangelistic program on Comfort's website) but his form of Evangelism is a return to Reformation theology. [​IMG]

4. untangled

untangled Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey People,

I have seen the program. I enjoy it. I'm working on the book. I do not agree with all of Ray Comfort's theology (Weslyan Holiness) but I do believe he is sincere in his ministry and that his program makes sense. One thing it does do is challenge me to evangelize more.

5. untangled

untangled Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Kiffen,

Is the eight week program on his site or do you have to order it? Is it free? Could you send me some info? Thanks...

6. yeshua4me2

yeshua4me2 New Member

i certianly have been motivated to evangalize more, and have used the law lawfully on everyone i know, my dad's reaction was priceless, when we got done going through the law, he said (FOR THE FIRST TIME IN HIS LIFE), oh my goodness, i am in trouble, and i am going to hell. i then gave him the goodnews that he didn't have to go to hell.

get way to evangelize.

thankyou and God Bless

7. shannonL

shannonL New Member

I think Comfort is great. There is not another show on TBN or TV anywhere that explains the Gospel more clearly than his show with Kirk.
    Their presentation is crystal clear. It is also interesting to watch the on the street witnessing to see the many different responses from people.
    How they use the law to show how people fall short is purely Scriptual.

8. Kiffen

Kiffen Member

Untangled it is not Free but here is the course from his website Foundation Course

The Cost for the Foundation Course is $ 59.99 for the DVD series plus there is a Study Guide at $2.00 a piece. He has other DVD's also plus Gospel tracts. Hope that helps. [​IMG]

9. Brian30755

Brian30755 New Member

If anyone is interested, their "School of Biblical Evangelism" is great, too.

And, even though the cost is $150, you can enroll FREE by using their "Scholarship Request Form". (I simply told them that, because of debt and other obligations, I could not afford the $150 at this time.)

The website is www.biblicalevangelism.com , and just a little below where it says "New Students Enroll Here" you will see a link to the Scholarship Request Form.

To get a scholarship you do have to listen to "Hell's Best Kept Secret" and "True and False Conversions" and answer a few questions about these teachings.

This is a great resource. I highly recommend it.

10. yeshua4me2

yeshua4me2 New Member

oh and i don't have to watch the blastphemy network (TBN) to see his show as my church has an independant christian TV station in the basement. My uncle was the Program manager for TBN for 20 years, and hates it when i call tbn that. but he hired beny hinn so what does that say about him.

thank you and God Bless

11. Servent

Servent Member

I read hell's best kept secret about 2 years ago, since that time my witnessing has become stronger and I have seen many people come to Christ.

12. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

I wouldn't say "never use it," but I will say be very, very, very careful how you use it, because 9 times out of 10 it fails as a salvation motivator because Christians aren't really prepared to use it correctly.

A message of, "Repent or you are going to hell!" Is going to close doors, not open them.

A message of, "God loves you, and God doesn't want you to die in hell," will open them.

I've done a lot of evangelism in life, and I pay attention to the responses of people.

The best witness for Christ is you. Not what you say. Who you are. If you are the kind of person that others want to be, they will want to know who your God is. If you are not the kind of person others want to be - they will avoid your God.

Be aware of who you are witnessing to.

People who are totally neutral to God, but simply don't believe He exists - don't take the message that there is a hell seriously. Which is logical. If you don't believe in God, how can you believe in eternal punishment by God? But they KNOW love, and they believe in love, and they want to know the perfect love that God is.

People who are hostile toward God use hell as a reason to increase their hostility. They call Him things like, "more evil than Baal," and "heartless," and "a liar," because - frankly, many Christians in the world can't talk about hell in a way that glorifies God.

God is offering us a rescue from hell because He loves us. That message, even the hateful ones can hear.

Beyond that - how CAN you witness without acknowledging that there is a hell? Why would Christ have died? What would have have saved us from?

Its HOW you talk about hell.

13. shannonL

shannonL New Member

How you talk about hell is true TS. It must be talked about when presenting the Gospel. We must always strive to present the truth in love.

14. Brian30755

Brian30755 New Member

TexasSky,

I think maybe you misunderstand the method of evangelism these people are suggesting. Have you taken the time to listen to or read the "Hell's Best Kept Secret" and "True and False Conversion" messages on the Living Waters Website?

They teach how to use God's Law, the 10 Commandments, to help people understand "why" they need a savior. They don't teach you go up to someone and say "Repent, or you are going to hell".

It's about getting people to come to Christ for the right reason. If you teach "Come to Christ and He'll give you peace and joy and love", sure, people will come. But then when the PROMISED trials, tests, and tribulations come their way, they're gone.

But when you take someone through the law and help them to understand that one day they will die and they will stand before a Holy God, and that they will be found guilty.....and then explain that Jesus paid the price for their sins.....they'll come to Christ for the right reason. Then, when the trials and tribulations come their way, they won't abandon their faith, because they didn't come to Christ for a "wonderful life", they came to him for salvation.

15. yeshua4me2

yeshua4me2 New Member

16. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

Ah - See, I don't think people who are truly saved CAN abandon their salvation.

17. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Good observation, Brian. They present the Gospel in a loving, positive, affirming, and effective manner. They do not use the "Repent, or you are going to hell" approach, though, unfortunately, I've known a few people who use the COmfort approach to justify the "Repent, or you are going to hell" approach.

I dunno about that. I've known quite a few people who came to Christ before evern cracking open a Bible, before ever having an understanding what the wages of sin were, and before ever having an understanding of hell. They came to Christ because their lives were empty without a relationship with him. I've never known anyone who ever walked away from Christ.

Besides, I think that opens the whole "once saved always saved" can of worms.
    I don't think there's "only one reason" to come to Christ. I think the primary reason one should come to Christ is to have a relationship with him. Some will argue that coming to Christ primarily out of fear isn't the best reason. I myself would say that a relationship with Christ includes all those things, one not being less than another. And I don't think that emphasizing love over death, or death over love, or one to the exclusion of another is either wrong or right. The issue of "only the way I preach the GOspel is the correct one" has been proven to be quite divisive amongst the brethren, and I think we need to begin abandoning the "my way or the highway" approach.

18. Rachel

Rachel New Member

I don't think that's what they are saying TexasSky. Have you looked at that website? I have several times and I really like what they say.

19. untangled

untangled Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amen TS. I believe the same way. Traditional Baptist teaching.

However, I love the program. It is not just about his theology it is about the method he uses to evangelize.
    [​IMG]

20. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

Rachel,

I'll go look at it. I based my remarks on what someone said they said.