1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured RC Forum in Trouble

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Earth Wind and Fire, Aug 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

That is so much bull. Local New Testament churches existed before the RCC was founded around 500 BC. They preserved the NT church for the length of time to the Reformation. It certainly was not the RCC clown parade that makes a mockery of Scripture with every aspect of their doctrine.

2. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The same email notice I got on Tuesday I got again on Thursday (today). They are persistent, I will give them that. And that's all I will give them. :smilewinkgrin:

3. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

And therein lies your error. It's popular to claim the Catholic Church was not founded until around 500 B.C., but history does not bear this out. I thought so as well until I started to read some early Christian history. The founding of all the different denominations is accompanied by the story of one or more men (or women), or by some major political event. Lutherans have Luther. Church of Christ has Stone and Campbell. Methodists have Wesley. Presbyterians have Knox. Baptists have Smyth. Anglicans have the conflict between Henry VIII and Pope Clement VII. Catholics have no such story of their founding--except the book of Acts. In the words of John Henry Newman, "To be deep in history is to cease to be Protestant."

4. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Excuse me....Baptists have John the Baptist.

5. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As has been said......Baloney, pure baloney.

6. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

In the scheme of things, what difference does it matter when a cult was founded? Yes, Lutherans have their Luther, Methodists have their Wesley, Presbyterians have Knox, and Catholics have Mary and her special appearances on Ghost Hunters.

Get serious, look at RCC theology, and compare it to the church in Acts. The two have nothing in common. By the way, the Baptist faith did not come out of the Reformation.

7. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

You don't want to go there, EW&F. John the Baptist wasn't even a Christian. A Christian is by definition a Christ follower. JB gave honor to Christ, even acknowledged that He was the Son of God, but he never actually followed Him.

8. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

Or maybe you could share some history with us to buttress this "baloney" statement?

9. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

Yes it does matter. If it was founded by Jesus Christ it must have been in the first half of the First Century A.D.
    Of course we can't know everything about the early church by reading the book of Acts any more than we can know everything about the SBC by reading the Baptist Faith and Message. But maybe you can give a few examples of where you think the Catholic Church is at odds with the New Testament.
    Well, yes and no. Baptists are not children of the Reformation like Lutherans, for instance. They are more like great grandchildren:

Catholic Church gave rise to the Church of England.
    Church of England gave rise to the Puritans.
    Puritans gave rise to the Baptists through John Symth and Thomas Helwys.

10. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Come on....John knew Christ's Lordship from his mothers woom & he certainly knew that divinity as Christ walked up to him....however he went to pave the way for the master. Even Roman Catholics know that Zenas.

11. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The problem arises because as one of my late professors put it, John the Baptist is a dispensational black hole.

12. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't get the Dispensational part of that commentary :confused:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.