1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

RE: Carman....

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by ATeenageChristian, Oct 19, 2001.

1. ATeenageChristian

ATeenageChristian New Member

What does everyone think of Carman? I think he is awesome. I love his music. Thanks. God bless. [​IMG]

2. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

I have seen videos of his concerts--they rock! I have not cared for some of his music--not much on his style, but I do love some of his music. Also, I have heard stories of him and I appreciate his work and calling.

3. donnA

donnA Active Member

My husband loves Carmen, I like some of his stuff. But not a big fan.

4. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

I think I could forgive the poor quality of the music if it weren't for the fact that he mixes false doctrine into his songs.

Mike

http://www.randystonehill.com

5. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  6. redwhitenblue

redwhitenblue New Member

Aaron, I personally respect the fact that Carman did those projects because it brought Jesus and his followers into a new light for me and to see them as if they were walking on earth today. I think christians are fooling themselves if they think Jesus's followers were always on the ball and never had human thoughts or even "scratched their heads". I don't see this as Carman making light or making fun of Jesus, but I see it as showing a new side to biblical people. I for one love it and appreciate it.

karen

7. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

I agree.

As usual, the link provided by Aaron takes Carman's stage show and lyrics out of context in order to make him look bad.

I've got some serious problems with Carman and some of the things he says in his music, but I really don't think he's done anything nearly as bad as Aaron's link would have us believe.

Mike

http://www.randystonehill.com

[ March 28, 2002, 02:46 PM: Message edited by: Smoke_Eater ]

8. AdoptedDaughter

AdoptedDaughter New Member

I think that it is very noble of Carman to do his concerts for free and use the love offering for ministry. That's what I think of Carman.

In Christ's gracious love,
    Teresa

9. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

Sorry.

I want to correct that last post.

I meant to say that I've never seen him treat Jesus, God the Father, the Holy Spirit, or the Gospel in anything other than a reverent manner.

Misguided though he may be, I do think his intentions are on the level.

Mike

[ March 28, 2002, 02:47 PM: Message edited by: Smoke_Eater ]

10. Eric B

Eric B Active Member
    Site Supporter

Great point.
    I'm still wondering what exactly are the problems with him you have been referring to.

11. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

Hey Eric,

Basically, I'm uncomfortable with the reverence he gives to William Branham, who was a false teacher of the highest order, as well his support of other false teachers.

Branham denied the Trinity, cursed those who taught or believed in it, completely misrepresented the nature of Christ, taught a false soteriology, and believed himself to be one of the angels spoken of in Revelation.

I disagree with Carman's ideas that we can command God (which isn't at all unique, given the circles he runs in) or that chanting a mantra over and over can "unleash the annointing".

I disagree with his views on the nature and role of the Holy Spirit and I disagree with his beliefs that we can "kill" demons.

I've worked with him a couple of times and he's a decent enough guy, although a little strange, and no matter how much I disagree with him, I do believe that he is trying to do the right thing.

Mike

http://www.equip.org

[ March 29, 2002, 11:15 AM: Message edited by: Smoke_Eater ]

12. Eric B

Eric B Active Member
    Site Supporter

I don't know much about Branham, but I do know we were going to see him at MSG, but then I found out that Rodney Howard-Browne ("Holy Ghost Bartender" of "counterfeit revival" fame)was gong to be with him, and then at my request we didn't go. I was disappointed that he would get mixed up with that crowd, but I always did think his "Holy Ghost Hop" would fit right in with their shenanigans.
    I didn't know he spoke of commanding God or killing demons. I did think he was a bit brazen in videos like "Satan Bite the Dust", and the critics certainly jump on this, but it is possible that the methods of defeating the Devil are not to be taken literally. He is pointing to the power of Jesus we have, but I do agree he does present it in an often proud sounding, Christian-glorifying light.

13. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The question was, "What does everyone think of Carman?" I posted a link to give the discussion some balance.

14. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

Let me get this staight, you posted a link to a website which is prejudiced against contemporary music in order to give the thread "balance".

Well, we certainly can't argue with that logic.

If you really wanted to be "balanced", wouldn't you have posted a link to a website that presents both sides of the contemporary music debate fairly?

Mike

15. redwhitenblue

redwhitenblue New Member

Aaron, so instead of just giving your viewpoint on Carman you gave a website on something that really doesn't pertain to the thread itself...ok :rolleyes: [​IMG]

Karen

16. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of course not. It's your logic! :D "Balance!" is not the battle cry of the Traditional group.

But now it is evident that the CCM group only demands "balance" when they want to get their music in the door. Once it's in, balance is decried and ridiculed.

[ April 01, 2002, 07:48 AM: Message edited by: Aaron ]

17. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I thought the thread was about Carman? Am I missing something? ;)

[ April 01, 2002, 07:50 AM: Message edited by: Aaron ]

18. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

Of course not. It's your logic! :D "Balance!" is not the battle cry of the Traditional group.

But now it is evident that the CCM group only demands "balance" when they want to get their music in the door. Once it's in, balance is decried and ridiculed.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Nobody's ridiculing balance, Aaron.

I think I've been quite balanced in expressing my misgivings about some of the contemporary music that's worked it's way into the church over the last few years, as well as some of the dangers in mainstream music while expressing my belief that music is neither good nor evil, in and of itself.

No one is demanding "balance" from you, Aaron. All we're asking is that you back up your position with something other than, "I don't like it, therefore, it must be bad".

Mike

http://www.deiseldoug.com

http://www.1946band.com

19. Kiffin

Kiffin New Member

Carman, has gotten his own criticism from CCM Magazine in the past, so much so he refused for a while not to even give them a interview. I don't think Carman is a Traditional vs. Contemporary debate.

Personaly, I think Carman's music overall is poor lyrically. He's had a few good songs but overall they are weak theologicaly and sometimes contain outright doctrinal error that borders on heresy.

20. javalady

javalady New Member

This is not my normal resting place, but it is an area I have some knowledge.
    We used to listen to Carman, and went to one of his concerts many years ago. That changed as God changed our understanding of His Word.
    Carman is a minister in the Word of Faith movement. This movement, fathered largely by Kenneth Hagin & Kenneth Copeland (and based largely upon plagarized materials from E.W. Kenyon; which he based upon Mind Science & other cults).
    This movement is antiChrist. Their understanding of God is heretical. Their understanding of salvation is heretical. Their twisting of Scripture (about Scripture itself & it's use) is sheer blasphemy.
    Carman is dangerous because he introduces this heresy to unsuspecting youth in churches across the US and elsewhere. The Charismatic/Pentecostal movement have been dirtied by the Word of Faith movement for years. Now it is invading the more Bible-based churches, such as Baptists.
    If you think I am making all of this up, a good place to start in understanding this false religion is found in Hank Hannegraff's book, Christianity in Crisis. It reveals the horrendous beliefs of the Word of Faith Movement, and those who are "ministers" of it.
    Please, if you love the Lord Jesus Christ, separate yourself from this man & his heretical message!