1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Reaching Women and Children With Woman Pastors

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by gb93433, Aug 10, 2010.

1. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

Who exactly are you talking about?

2. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

The same people James talks about, anyone who is not a doer of the word.

3. RAdam

RAdam New Member

What do I suggest be preached to motivate them? How about following Paul's command to preach the word? Wow, what a novel idea. People try too hard to figure out what people need instead of relying on the wisdom and guidance of God. I don't need to sit around and come up with programs and all of that sort of thing, instead I need to follow the simple commands God gave me in the bible concerning preaching.

4. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Presbyterianism Church USA .... they can put an apostate sign on the door. 25 years ago, they had older preachers that taught Westminster Confessions, expounded on doctrine, provided Biblical exposition. Now, forget it. Now I see it happening to PCA all over again.

"We should all just love one another" Throw everything else in the garbage. Now here is your new minister, Paster Julie. Next you get female elders....and off we go. After a while, even my wife was nauseated by it all claiming it had become feminineized.

Go further, The Bishop of NJ for the Episcopal Church in the day, Bishop John Shelby Spong was a nice guy trying to be what he called fair to the Gay community. He ordained a homosexual man who promised both Spong & the Episcopal Church that he would remain celibate & focus his full time on growing the church for Christ. Once ordained & given a parish, he proceeded to break all promises & the rest is history. Spong today has become so heretical that he teaches a gospel where Christ never really existed.

Yes Ive seen it first hand.....the slipper slope.

5. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Jesus gave the vision and demonstrated his methodology that worked. He commanded his disciples to make disciples. The fact is that a new believer knows little about Jesus let alone knowing him in a deep personal way.

So how will you teach those looking to you for leadership to help them carry out the commands Jesus gave? Anyone knows that the lecture method is the poorest method of personal discipleship. Lectures give out lots of information at once but do nothing to get people to do much. For example there was an ordained deacon in a church I pastored and he was a great teacher. He was a leader in the previous church he was at and involved in the denomination in teaching people and in a church ministry outside of the church. I had worked with most of the men in the church in a personal setting training them to be leaders for one and a half years. At the end of that time it was time to send them out. I sent them out with their families. That man started shaking uncontrollably. At the end of two hours he was a changed man. He was motor mouth and had started two Bible studies as a result. No amount of sermon would have done anything. It was that one time experience that have him confidence in God and that enabled him to share his faith. That man became the number one leader in that church almost over night. His son leads a youth group in a church. Before that he was a fearful teacher in the church. Today he is a changed man.

Currently I meet with a young man who at one time came to church every Sunday because his family did but for three years he was recruiting people to atheism. I met with him twice and then realized how wrong he was and now follows Jesus. He has been talking to me about how to make disciples. He is now sharing the gospel with his friends instead of leading them astray. How much did sermons do for him? When I talked with him personally our discussions ahd nothing to do with sermons he had heard but about some of the things he had read. I showed him a dialog I had with someone he had read and pointed out the nonsense of what he believed. My discussions with him had more to do with historical context, literary genre, and textual criticism.

If we want to see the lives of men and women changed we must enable them to live out their faith as Jesus did with his disciples instead of taking the easy route and making excuses and just preaching.

While preaching is only a small part of making disciples is just that a small part.

6. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

James 1:22 is not limited to particular groups of people. Look at who James addressed--church people. Mt. 28:19, 20 is not void from "them." I see them all around us.

7. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No. Next question.

8. RAdam

RAdam New Member

Preaching is not a small part in making disciples.

You say Jesus gave the vision and the methodology that works. Nonsense. Jesus and the Apostles showed us how to do it. We ought to follow their example. If I'll do the things they tell me to do, it'll work. I don't need man's methods, I need God's. How did they make disciples? Through preaching the gospel.

9. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I was being a bit sarcastic but my real point is that since the pastor is a man and he is not reaching men then why have him to reach men when he is not? The church is the result of his leadership.

10. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

You made two contradictory statements how do you reconcile them? You say it is nonsense in that Jesus did not provide the methodoolgy and vision, then you say he showed us how. Which one is it? Showing is both vision and method. How is it not. If I show someone how to do a math problem I am showing them my method of solving it.

11. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    GB....we both know your not speaking to me.

12. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    GREAT ANSWER JD Fan....straight away w/o BS!:thumbs:

13. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

One of the greatest fears I have is that will will become as the Pharisees did. I find myself trying to stay more alert than ever and being sure I understand the passage well. I see what I would call good and bad everywhere. I have seen things that were shocking in Baptist Churches and some great things. I am not too sure we can generalize any more. When I listen to my friends when they come back from the mission field it is interesting to see the changes they notice. Lately it has been about the dumbing down of the preaching and Sunday School lessons.

14. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Recently I read a book on pastoring and it was written by a retired pastor. He said that a pastor needs to not have an inflated sense of his ego in regards to his own preaching when it may be that the congregation is trying to help him and are tolerating his poor preaching.

I used to think I was a pretty good preacher until I listened to some of my own preaching several years later. I said to myself, "Wow! People listened to that?" The time that we think we are a great preacher is when we need a big dose of humility.

15. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I dont know what they teach @ Westminster but their graduates come out of that seminary with some wonderful preaching skills....I mention it because I kind of miss that. What I dont miss is their intellectualizing & arrogance (not all) & their Legalism. I had to walk away from that mindset.

I am now going to a Regular Baptist church & I am happy with the Pastor. He is a humble guy willing to pastor his congregation. He isnt near the awe inspiring preaching I'm used to but he is much more committed to growing the church & that will hopefully carry him through.

16. RAdam

RAdam New Member

Preaching is how disciples are made. That's not an arrogant statement, that's a factual statement. Preaching is God's ordained method to make disciples.

17. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

If you really believe that then go through any of the gospels and see what Jesus did compared to what he preached.

I have got two books for you to read if you really think preaching makes disciples. Following the Master: A Biblical Theology of Discipleship by Michael J. Wilkins and Pastoring Men: What Works, What Doesn't, and Why It Matters Now More Than Ever by Patrick Morley. Both of those men are making disciples.

Can you explain how people can sit in a church and listen to you and then go out and make disciples? My experience has been quite the opposite. Almost everyone I meet with has been in a church for years doing nothing. Almost everyone of them within two years is starting to do some kind of ministry on their own.

Preaching works so good that a young man I meet with each week spent three years making disciples of atheism while listening to the preacher speak each week from the Bible in the same Baptist Church I attend. Almost one year ago I met him and started dealing with the questions he had. He had issues in regards to textual criticism, historical context, and literary context.When was the last time you dealt with those in a sermon?

18. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

We will remember much more oif the humble person than anything of what a person says. Young people listen more to what others say. Older listen more to what others do.

I know a man who was like what you are saying about your pastor and his church went from about 250 to over 4000. He was not all that of a good preacher but he knew how to make disciples and the entire church was involved in that. That church sent missionaries all over the world and their whole approach was to work with the locals to make disciples and establish churches. They have never been the big guru in the world making a big splash. They did not have a flashy preacher but he was a man of God.

I am still challenged by a humble man who was the president of a mission board who was in India at the time. He preached for one month at the church. People and staff were saying that he changed our church because of who he was. IT was a churhc of about 1200 in regular attendance.

19. RAdam

RAdam New Member

You keep presenting me with books written only by men. I could care less what some man thinks about preaching and making disciples. I'm much more concerned with what the bible says since it came from God. God said we make disciples by teaching them whatsoever He has commanded us. We make disciples by preaching the gospel.

For some reason you place preaching inside of a box. That box is a church building on a Sunday morning. Look, preaching can occur anywhere at any time. When you get two people together there can be some preaching go on. I preached to a woman one time two days before Christmas in front of my house at probably 7 o'clock at night after she got stuck and I helped her get her car out. She had recently lost her husband and the devil was attacking her hard. I just simply preached the word and the Lord blessed.

Preaching is God's ordained way of making disciples. Preaching is the power of God. It is how God's people learn, are edified and corrected, and are made free by the truth. That's what the bible says.

20. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Apostle Paul, under inspiration of Holy Spirit, gave reasons for male leadership within the Christian fellowship. He did not refer to the culture. He did not refer to the "times".

The reasons given are ordained by God, founded in God's creation, recorded in scripture (which Paul quotes even as he writes new scripture), and are regulative for eternity (at least all "time" this side of heaven).

peace to you:praying: