1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Read a Creed in Church?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by 12strings, Jun 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK how do you know its not the devil & not the HS? Whats your means to proof it out? Your telling me its the HS but Satan knows scripture & can manipulate the unsuspecting. So how do you truly know?

2. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

EWF...You posted

Its not that dificult. Do you struggle with that??? Are you by any chance a very young believer?

Once again...Prayer, understanding satans tricks, time spent in the scriptures etc etc etc

I want to ask you again brother.... are you a new believer? I ask because seasoned believers have left the "milk" behind, and have moved on to the the meat. They dont generally struggle with these issues.

God bless.

3. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Okay...so you say...but that is not the issue here..

I have asked you ,and AIC to respond to post 82...using just your bible without looking at any other sources and make your own biblical confession which should be no problem for you....without cheating:thumbs:

4. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

And i would like to ask you to respond to post 82 AIC....as a seasoned believer who has been instructed in these things...let's see what you have got:thumbsup:

5. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think you're on a slippery slope here. Is the only was that I can determine that my preaching is Biblical is to make sure it lines up with a creed or doctrinal statement? It makes people and their statements the determiner of the Holy Spirit's leading.

I think Alive in Christ gives some good statements when he says:

6. Alive in Christ

Iconolast

you posted...

And I decline. I only correspond to adults

Good day

7. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    There are many adults here on BB...respond to them. I think perhaps ...YOU CANNOT...show me I am wrong AIC...I started a new thread on this.

8. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So for the heck of it...how would I know if your up to speed. Remember I am a skeptic & Ive encountered some real deceptive pastors in pulpits. I'm not saying you are but ... pedophiles, arrogant ones who have told me I put my dead child in hell (a Calvinist BTW), one that was stealing church money yada yada...a very long litany. So after all that, I am to take it on faith I suppose.

#108 Earth Wind and Fire, Jul 6, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2013
  9. Tom Bryant

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, I guess if you really believed that the Holy Spirit was able to teach, you might know if i was up to speed. If the Holy Spirit is the teacher - and He is - then He can teach you. Maybe you ought to read up in your creed to see if they agree with John 14:26:
    But those illustrations would not have been affected by any Creed or Confession of faith. A pervert and a thief could have agree with whatever creed his church puts up.

10. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Im 56 YO but a Christian for 2 years.

understanding satans tricks is quite a trick if you could pull that one off.....he is the king of liars & deception.

Friend, I did not fall off a turnip truck ..... Ive seen very seasoned & scholarly people stumble & fall (with a bible in hand) so please do not even attempt that deception. These creeds were set up as a guide post by some very attuned Christian men who well understood how humans could fall into traps, become secularized, humanized & relativized.... and I will say this again...that is exactly what modern world demands, a gospel that preserves a determinative role for personal choice.

11. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are you suggesting here that I dont?

Remember I said these are guidelines (not scripture)
    Irrespective of the fact, we do not agree on many scriptural interpretations...agreed.

Well my HS guides me as yours guides you, but still we have difference in this.....why is that do you suppose? Are you going to call me a Calvinist & dismiss it as that, get upset because you believe me to be "arrogant" or admit that there is some level of value to my approach.

12. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Killed 2 birds with on stone right! Slap (insult) a brother AND get out of answering a legitimate question. Does the Holy Spirit teach you that as well? or was that the other guy?!?:laugh:

13. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    BTW, & you dont have to answer this AIC & Tom....but I am curious, are you two in the SBC by chance? I wont delve in it beyond that question but it would answer a nagging question in my mind.

14. Alive in Christ

If you go back and read my previous posts on this topic you will find that I AGREED that the creeds are pefectly fine, and good.

I am simply saying the SCRIPTURES should be our truth standard, rather than creeds

Let me put it this way. Whats better, to have a bible, or to have a "what would Jesus do" bracelet?

A creed is like the bracelet. Its perfectly acceptable, but God has MORE. I want the bible!

#114 Alive in Christ, Jul 6, 2013
  15. Alive in Christ

EWF...

I am a long time baptist, but have never been SBC.

#115 Alive in Christ, Jul 6, 2013
  16. Tom Bryant

Faith:
    Baptist
    First off, I have never said that Calvinists or Doctrine of Grace people or whatever you call yourself as not having value. I have always treated that soteriological position with respect. I can see where in Scripture you get this. Please also remember that it was in one of these discussions that you said that my doctrinal position was as bad as the Catholics.

Second, to answer a later question, yes I am sbc and proud of it.

Finally, I am out of this thread. It was about reading the creeds in church. I will not read them and would rather use the time that would be spent in reading them, in reading the Bible.

17. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sorry but I see your belief system as works based...just as I view Roman Catholism. That's synergistic. And as a ex RC, I also operated in that fashon for 32 years...until the Holy Spirit radically altered my behavior, and I viewthat as a gift. I also view both Calvinisn and Arminism as flawed so I'm not in either camp. I view myself as a Christian...and a radical one at that. Further I refuse any names or titles. However I'm firmly convinced its all of God (beginning, middle and end).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.