1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

"Real" baptism

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Salty, Feb 28, 2010.

1. donnA

donnA Active Member

if you want to require people to be unscriptural, and stopping them form obeying God then do it, but they're fools for it, and you've stopped people from being obedient to God.

2. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

No, I would say it would be up to the individual since it is NOT a Bible doctrine and just a personal choice. No church has the right to make their own doctrine contrary to what is taught in God's word.

3. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    How is attending a new members class, wearing a baptismal robe, ect; unscriptural . (in fact wearing a black robe may actually be biblical -for modesty sake). I am not saying those activities including fasting are biblically required, but are able to greatly enhance the meaning of baptism.

It would be very interesting to attend to your church, and see how many things your church requires - that are not specifically mandated in the Bible.

Now that I have added to my post, how about actually answering my question in post #19

4. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Might it relate to sanitation in their day, dusty feet etc.

5. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

A church has every right to require anything they wish. It doesn't mean they are correct in their belief, but they certainly have the right.

6. olegig

olegig New Member

I have heard it said we should just be and do like Jesus.
    Hummm
    Should we go to Israel so we can be baptised in the River Jordan?
    Should we walk on water?
    Should we hang on a cross?

IMO we should do the things instructed us by Jesus as told through the apostle Paul and not get caught up in the legalism of what Jesus did while on earth under the Law.