1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Real debates

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by evangelist6589, Oct 9, 2016.

1. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think you'll find there is.
    Failure to reconcile the two verses leads either to antinomianism or legalism.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This statement is incorrect and, in fact, insulting. I've never one time in my life done evangelism with an appeal to the intellect in two languages and several countries. Nor have I advocated an appeal to the intellect in the two books on soul-winning I have written, nor have I seen such an approach in any book on soul-winning I have read.

3. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is what separates WOTM apart. However in your situation I am not sure about witnessing to people from another culture. WOTM is designed for English speaking people to the best of my knowledge.

4. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why would witnessing to another culture negate the need for the law according to the WOTM position? You have said that it is the best and most Scriptural method. The Gospel is the Gospel, and applies to every culture exactly the same (understanding the need to contextualize the context but not the content of the Gospel).

Besides, my first book on soul-winning was in English to Americans. And I most certainly did not advocate any intellectualism in presenting the Gospel. What is needed for conviction of sin is the power of the Holy Spirit.

"How much is the soul winner like a blind man! Our efforts are worthless without the Holy Spirit to guide our stumbling feet. We would fall time and time again without His power. When we are left powerless because of sin in our lives, soul winning becomes a hopeless cause, doomed to the sad mockery of failure" (The Making of a Soul Winner, by John R. Himes).

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You need to re-evaluate this statement. If WOTM is the "best" way to witness, then it should be good in ALL languages.

Also, you need to point out to John of Japan: he's mixing two things. You claim WOTM is the "best" way to witness; JoJ is looking at the best way to win souls.

6. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's part of the problem. God draws his elect to salvation no matter the method of evangelism. It's not about winning souls it's about obedience and trust.

Comfort is not reformed but in reality this is what's it's all about. Faithfulness and trust.

7. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then I must ask--Does God have a favored method of evangelism?

Alternatively--If "God draws the elect to salvation no matter the method of evangelism", how can you say that WOTM is the 'best way'?

8. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    1. This is a valid point, but I'm not sure anyone on this thread are distinguishing between giving the Gospel and giving a personal witness.

2. WOTM is a method of evangelism. There is no such thing as a method of witnessing, really. Giving a witness is telling what you have seen and heard--how you got saved, how God worked in your life.

3. I don't see much point in doing Spirit filled and led evangelism without expecting God to work--in other words, soul winning. If the Holy Spirit is at work, people will get saved. More will get saved in some cultures than others. I worked for 33 years in a Gospel-resistant culture with less than 1% Christian and only 1/2% evangelical. Yet we saw some blessed fruit that remained: Mr. Wakamatsu, Miss Nakajima who went to another church later but taught SS and sang for them, Mr. Togo the drug addict, Mr. Habazaki the mentally slow man who became my partner in evangelism and in going to baseball games, Mr. Usuki the yakuza gangster, Mr. Ushiro the drug addict and many others.

• Like Like x 3
  9. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Funny how God only elects people when believers do evangelism. No one gets saved unless the Gospel is proclaimed.

"How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?" (Rom. 10:14).

• Useful Useful x 1
  10. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Got me on the detail. Yes, evangelizing is what I should have used instead of witnessing.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's not about counting how many souls are won; it IS about winning souls (see Proverbs 11:30), and following the commandment to make disciples. But that's a topic for a different thread. I'll step back and let you continue with JoJ and Baptist Believer now.

12. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Which is what I said. We need to be evangelizing only out of obedience and expect God to draw his elect and grant repentance.

When I open air I realize most do not like the method and either ignore or heckle me but I do it out of obedience for I evangelize to the glory of God. The fact is that God has used open air for centuries and also perhaps he may not be using me to save people but rather to preach judgment.

#52 evangelist6589, Oct 14, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
  13. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    JOJ you are not interested in a discussion and debates are a waste of time. If you wanted a discussion you would buy a sound Comfort book such as The Way of the Master or Hells best kept secret and read his arguments and all the scripture that he uses.

14. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    My goodness how was it possible that evangelism could even be accomplished before WotM?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wrong. His elect were chosen before the foundation of the world. They are saved in their lifetime because of what Christ accomplished in His cross-work. Of course the Lord uses means such as preachers and His Holy Word to lead them to Himself.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I think he was stressing the means used, unless I misread it....

17. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So the point I get from this post is that you are not able to defend the WOTM position from Scripture, is that correct? One cannot understand the WOTM method from Scripture, but only from the books, is that correct?

One of these days I will buy The Way of the Master. I can't right now. I have too much going. I have read the sermon of "Hell's Best Kept Secret" online and was not impressed at all. I note that Comfort has no theological education, and it certainly showed in that sermon.

#57 John of Japan, Oct 17, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 2
  18. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you weep when you preach on Hell and judgment?

"They that sow in tears shall reap in joy. He that goeth forth and weepeth, bearing precious seed, shall doubtless come again with rejoicing, bringing his sheaves with him" (Ps. 126:5-6).

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I can defend it but do not have time. Oh and buy the book Hells Best Kept Secret instead of reading a sermon.

20. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did you hear the story about the Private who gave a briefing to the General about a tactical infantry attack......