1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Reasons for the 2nd Coming of Christ

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by John of Japan, Oct 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are many ways to debunk this, but the thread is not about it. Please stick to the OP and don't derail the thread.

No, it's not "primarily to the Jews," it's to the 7 churches of Asia. How hard is that to figure out? Just read the Book.

Now come on, get back to the OP.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Who says n = 50 or r = 200?

Kabbalism run amok?

Ooops, sorry John. I just read your plea to get back to the OP.

3. asterisktom

asterisktom Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK, fair enough. I won't post any more on this thread.

But a last word of advice. If you don't want your thread "derailed" don't thoughtlessly belittle someone else's position, which is what you did from post one. That just invites someone sending a reality check your way.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Um, no, post #1 belittled no one. It simply told the truth. So far no preterist, including you, has posted cogently on this thread. The very doctrine of what the 2nd Coming is disproves preterism.

Come on, interact with me. When does a full preterist say Christ gathered His disciples, as per John 14:1-3? That is a wonderful, positive purpose of the 2nd Coming.

5. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are forgiven. :Sneaky

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Look who is belittling whom now. I'm not a "true Berean of God's precious Word" since I don't do numerology?

7. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wonder if he is aware the Berean's were unsaved. :)

• Like Like x 1
  8. asterisktom

asterisktom Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh please. Look at your earlier posts.

9. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am desperately trying to figure out how “numerology” would possibly conflict with the second coming.

I can count

1 - first coming
    2 - second coming

I don’t do buckles on shoes. They were fashion statements for hippies, colonials, and pirates... not to be confused with tassels.
    Tassels were different.

Tassels were authorized by God.

:)

#109 agedman, Nov 7, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. prophecy70

prophecy70 Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    and then why don't futurists understand the same language in matthew 24?

11. prophecy70

prophecy70 Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Show me where they support it.

"However, when actually examined, we find that in neither case is Domitian actually referenced. In both writers, the passages allegedly supporting a Domitianic date simply speak of the banishment of John under the “tyrant,” or the “King of the Romans."

Chapter 3: Dating the Apocalypse

12. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I can't speak for other futurists, but I take all figures of speech seriously. In fact, the most authoritative book on figurative language in the Bible is by the Dispensationalist Bullinger. :Coffee

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I see. So my presumed belittling excuses yours?

Look, if you are personally offended by any of my posts, simply shoot me a PM and I will gladly apologize. If, however, you are offended about something I say about preterism in general, I take nothing back. My supposed belittling posts have been general. Yours is particular.

14. Covenanter

Covenanter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your fundamental problem, John, is that read your own reasoning into the postings of others.

Why ever should a belief that Jesus came in AD 70 for the purpose declared in his Olivet prophecy be a reason for sadly reflecting - "it's over and done with, nothing left (a very bleak position)."

We rejoice in that coming because -
    Jesus kept his word then, despite the scoffers, so we can trust him for his many promises relating to his presence with us throughout this Gospel age. Hallelujah, Immanuel!

Jesus shouted FINISHED with his dying breath, & rent the temple veil from top to bottom. The Old Covenant, relying on "IF" obedience (Exodus 19) was perfectly fulfilled in & by the Lord Jesus Christ, & a glorious New & Eternal Covenant in his blood was established, BUT the Jews repaired the veil & the old corrupt administration continued. Was Jesus mistaken?

Peter preached in power at Pentecost & in the years following, but despite many thousands believing in Jesus, the result was vicious persecution. The old system maintained its power & continued to dominate.

The glorious Messianic Gospel promises to Israel by the Old Covenant prophets were being rejected by Israel as a nation & by many Jews wherever the Gospel was preached. The Old Covenant continued, with a vengeance.

So it seemed to first century Christian Jews & Gentile converts that the glorious new Messianic age promised was not happening properly. Even 30 years after Calvary Peter wrote:
    3 Above all, you must understand that in the last days scoffers will come, scoffing and following their own evil desires. 4 They will say, ‘Where is this “coming” he promised? Ever since our ancestors died, everything goes on as it has since the beginning of creation.’

While Jerusalem & the temple remained, the scoffers were vindicated.

Of course we rejoice in that first century coming, for Jesus & the Apostles & all believers were vindicated. Jesus reigns without a rival, King of kings & Lord of lords.

That, as you are quick to assure us, did not end the matter. Christians live as foreigners in a corrupt world, surrounded by unbelievers. We have a Gospel for them, so that enemies become our brothers & sisters in Christ, & we hold out the glorious future hope, & warning, of his final coming at the end of time for resurrection, judgment, & the perfect righteousness of a New Heaven & New Earth.

I'll give Peter the last word:
    11 Since everything will be destroyed in this way, what kind of people ought you to be? You ought to live holy and godly lives 12 as you look forward to the day of God and speed its coming. That day will bring about the destruction of the heavens by fire, and the elements will melt in the heat. 13 But in keeping with his promise we are looking forward to a new heaven and a new earth, where righteousness dwells.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your problem, Covenanter, is that you have missed the entire point of the thread, which is to show that there are are huge number of blessings connected with he 2nd Coming of Christ that are yet future.

And in regards to full preterism, there is far more to the 2nd Coming of Christ than any preterist can cogently discuss. (If you are not a full preterist, why object to my post?)

The position of the full preterist is indeed a very bleak position. I can't imagine ignoring all of the passages about the 2nd Coming except the Olivet Discourse, and remaining joyful at the 2nd Coming of Christ.

I see the future, physical 2nd Coming of Christ as a wonderful, complicated event full of blessings for the modern Christian. Full preterists do not agree, though a partial preteist might. I haven't yet figured out which you are, since you always post on the side of the preterists, and not on the side of the long expected blessed 2nd Coming.

#115 John of Japan, Nov 8, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do have to say, though, that this is a blessed reason for the 2nd Coming: a new Heaven and a new Earth, both of which we deeply need due to the effects of sin on the natural world.

But if, as the full preterist says, there is no future coming of Christ, then Peter is wrong.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    An aspect of the second coming is that of fellowship.

As Paul stated,
    12For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face; now I know in part, but then I will know fully just as I also have been fully known.”​

Because, there is a complete revealing, full understanding, and no B.B. striving, there is such fellowship.

What will the contentious discuss when there are no more prophetic statements to discern, eschatology and soteriology disputes, political upheaval, Bible versions, denominational divides, and jokes.

Jokes?

Sure, because how can you trick someone when there is no capacity to trick?

• Like Like x 1
  18. Covenanter

Covenanter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I answered your OP - why do you respond with more negativity? How about a proper response?

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, I do have great negativity towards full preterism. I do not apologize for that.

But if you will look once again at posts 117 & 118, you will see positive statements. I believe my response was entirely proper. I saw nothing to answer in the rest of your post.

20. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The end of Grace.

Considered that for a book title but thought too many would find it in the murder mystery section.

Why would I look forward to the end of Grace?

Why not?

What a great blessing to know Christ’s return as “King of Kings and Lord of Lords” ends the Church age!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.