1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Reasons Not to Go To Church

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Darrell C, Oct 12, 2015.

1. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I ain't gonna read this whole thread, but how about wanting to watch Terry Bradshaw, Jimmy Johnson, Howie Long, and the others on the Fox NFL panel.They can be hard to forego.

And then, some still want Sunday to be a day of rest, and it ain't that if you have to get up, wash, shave, put on makeup or other disguise elements to display us as we ain't. Doing these things were once forbidden by the Puritans and others on the day of worship-- no cooking, shaving, washing. Maybe if we all just came dirty more people would be there.

Seriously, we don't really devote our time to God at our times of worship. Even among the 'faithful,' we get to the facility and have conversations about our jobs, our problems big or little, the upcoming games, et al. We think if we made every service with the atmosphere of a funeral (that is, after the organ music starts), we won't 'attract' anybody there. I don't know the answer, but some people avoid church because it's too worldly, and some avoid it because it's a 'holy place' to make them feel guilty. Some avoid it for the paradoxes-- people from quarter- or half-million dollar houses wearing expensive clothes and talking about the need to be charitable and giving-- and some for the apparent priorities... asking people to pray for cousin Jim and his cold, or little Susie playing a daisy in the school pageant; no mention of a billion or 2 starving people in the world.

And all these reasons come after plain laziness and wanting to sleep all morning.

2. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You really oughta put those mind reading skills to use, perhaps divining the winning Lotto numbers.

3. Darrell C

Darrell C Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

In a recent sermon my Pastor mentioned that while preparing the message, it dawned on him that it had been a while since someone had asked him to pray for a lost soul.

He mentioned that he was regularly asked to pray for an aunt in the hospital that wasn't doing well, or a family member or friend that was on their death bed, but no requests for the salvation of an individual.

He summed it up in saying, "It seems the Body is more interested in keeping saints out of Heaven than they are keeping the lost out of Hell."

Great statement.

In regards to the rest of your statement, I think you make some great points. I am often discouraged when we gather that Theological Discussion seems to be a bit intrusive for some.

However, I don't look at it from a perspective that everyone going there have the wrong motives, or that the social aspects that are more human than spiritual are involved, primarily because there are people who are not flawlessly sinless involved. David Jeremiah remarked "If you're looking for the perfect church, you're not going to find it. And if you do, don't join it...you'll only wreck it." lol

And this is where I would make a point in regards to a reason to go to church: it is the training ground for learning to love imperfect people.

And sometimes the person we have to learn to love might just be ourselves, lol.

God bless.

4. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's just a discussion, ITL, no reason he shouldn't express his feelings.

God bless.

5. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He's not expressing his feelings, he's stating what other people are supposedly feeling. No one can know why other people come to church unless they tell why.

6. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would have to agree with him, that people that stay home to watch a football game give an excuse that is not legitimate.

Our own fellowship doesn't have an evening service on Super-bowl Sunday, and personally...I have a problem with that. I can understand not wanting people to miss a pretty important event in some people's lives, but what about those of us who aren't that interested in football, lol.

So he's expressing his feelings and has every right to do so. So do you.

Even sarcasm can be viewed as a feeling, lol. But could I suggest that we can manipulate feelings? What we say and how we say it is going to produce certain results?

I don't think it takes mind reading skills to think some people lay out for football. lol

God bless.

7. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here's what he said, in addition to the football excuse:

We think if we made every service with the atmosphere of a funeral (that is, after the organ music starts), we won't 'attract' anybody there. I don't know the answer, but some people avoid church because it's too worldly, and some avoid it because it's a 'holy place' to make them feel guilty. Some avoid it for the paradoxes-- people from quarter- or half-million dollar houses wearing expensive clothes and talking about the need to be charitable and giving-- and some for the apparent priorities... asking people to pray for cousin Jim and his cold, or little Susie playing a daisy in the school pageant; no mention of a billion or 2 starving people in the world.

That's a bit more of a mouthful than "they want to watch football".

8. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It doesn't change the fact he is expressing his feelings, and I see little difference from his own expression and yours. Both have a tone of sarcasm and seem to be a bit emotional.

Again, it's just a discussion in which we are discussing reasons not to go to church. Participants are free to express any view they like. They can give legitimate reasons, they can point out excuses.

You seem to be rebuking him for his expression, but my friend, can you not see a parallel sentiment in your own expression?

Some people are not enthusiastic about going to church, and the reasons for it are the topic. Can we really blame someone who doesn't go...because he/she was not treated very well when they did go? And that has an application to forum discussion among the Body. Would you admit that some of the "discussion" we see on forums, between so-called "brethren," wouldn't be a very good reason for people not to want to go to church?

I would agree he is giving excuses he disagrees with, but, this is an expression of how he feels on the subject...and that's okay. You expressed how you feel about what he said...that's okay. Let's not let those feelings keep us from discussing the topic. If you disagree with him, then point out what you disagree with. Confront him about assuming too much about the excuses he listed. At least give him the chance to understand where you're coming from, and maybe, just maybe, your perspective may broaden his. That's one of the great things about discussion, that we can learn from the experiences of others. This is a principle that helped me depart from a reviling attitude towards atheists which in turn opened me up to do what I am supposed to do...witness to them. The best witness is not just talking at people, but with them. There is an old saying (not sure how old, lol), "They will never care how much you know until they know how much you care."

I agree with that saying, but it's a hard lesson to fully grasp.

And sorry, didn't mean to go on so long, and not trying to preach at you, ITL, just pointing out that this is just discussion. Best to first know what people feel about something, then try to understand why they feel that way. If there is something we object to, then it become an issue of how we can try to help in that area.

A negative view will never be changed by another negative view. Reviling will never be changed by more reviling.

God bless.

#68 Darrell C, Oct 14, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2015
  9. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since when is a rotating cage that spits out 6 pingpong balls a mind?

10. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    People should post reasons they've actually heard first hand or their own reasons why they don't go to church. To speculate otherwise is to make up things out of thin air.

11. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Okay, so we have another reason not to go to church...there might be mind readers there...

;)

God bless.

12. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are many reasons people don't attend church but I haven't heard this one yet... I heard a story quoted by a Preacher who said a brother came up to him after the sermon and said Preacher Smith I didn't get anything out of your sermon today... Preacher Smith looked him square in face and said well brother appears to me you didn't bring anything to get it with!... Which is to say how many hours do you spend with the Lord before meeting day?... Are you prepared when you go to the house of God?... Are you of the Burean brethren and search the scriptures daily?... How many are fed spiritually on the Lords day but there Bibles lie dusty the rest of the week as well as their lives?... Far be from me to accuse anyone because I have been there myself!... If we are true children of God we should be reading and studying what our Father and his Son Jesus the Christ said to us and admonished us to do!... I know at times when I have missed church when I go again, it is like the message was directed just to me and to get me right again with the Lord... Excuse me for wandering about in my thoughts but I hope what I had to say would be beneficial to some on here... Brother Glen

• Like Like x 1
  13. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think one thing you said that strikes a chord (or steps on a toe, lol) with me is...

I can say the same thing. There have been times when I have been discouraged, and really, I think most of the time it is more something personal than really having anything to do with the fellowship itself.

And I think it is just typical that most are not that interested in a more in-depth study of Scripture. That is one thing about most folks on Christian Discussion and Debate forums, the majority are interested in knowing Scripture better.

God bless.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree when I was growing up I hung around the preachers in our churches and listened to their conversations... I remember one time this preacher told another one that a brother came up to him after church and said Preacher Smith if I was you I wouldn't say what you said in the stand... He was preaching duty and was stepping on a few toes and by some way offended the brother... Well said the preacher that is why God chose me and he didn't choose you... He knew I would and you wouldn't... Brother Glen

• Like Like x 1
  15. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree that those on here are "Up And About Their Fathers Business"... I see only children of God on here looking for a deeper understanding of scriptural truths... Brother Glen

• Like Like x 1