1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Red Letter Christian

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Salty, May 15, 2010.

1. Mississippi John

For many it is a truth discovered. We ALL give more importance (or more weight) to some verses over others.

2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Fox example, how often to we read the minor prophets compared to the Epistles or Gospels?

3. thegospelgeek

thegospelgeek New Member

Salty makes valid points. The scriptures say to help the poor, the widows, the orphans. It also has may reprimands for the slothful and as he quoted, it states that those who will not work, shall not eat. Would god instruct us in such a way if we could not tell the difference? Maybe he never saw the whole welfare thing coming. (NOT) It is our responsibility to help, however defining help require work. Do I help my son if I give him everything he wants and never teach him to work. If so, what happens to him when I die? He is unable to stand. True help is not giving perishable things, but feeding the hungry and enabling them to improve.

I've been in just about every situation, months with no income trying to feed a family and having more than I could imagine. God is the same in all circumstances. He can and will use his people to accomplish his will. We just have to work a little to find out what that is.

4. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God is love and God is light.

Go ye therefore.....and feed the masses? Nope, it is preaching, teaching,
    baptizing, I didn't see anything about food. "Feed my sheep" implies
    something besides hay, by the way.

A lot of good you have done if you fed them but they still go to hell when they die!

5. Mississippi John

It is a whole lot easier to preach the message when the converts stomach is quite .

Selah.

6. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

100% agreement

7. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Spreading the Gospel is the number one priority, but Scripture is quite clear about helping others in need.

8. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No one is advocating feeding the poor at the cost of their souls.

1 John 3
    17 But whoso hath this world's good, and seeth his brother have need, and shutteth up his bowels of compassion from him, how dwelleth the love of God in him?
    18 My little children, let us not love in word, neither in tongue; but in deed and in truth.​

James 2
    15 If a brother or sister be naked, and destitute of daily food,
    16 And one of you say unto them, Depart in peace, be ye warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body; what doth it profit?​

HankD

#28 HankD, May 18, 2010
    Last edited: May 18, 2010
  9. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bumping for our new members - but please read the link in the OP before commenting

10. RAdam

RAdam New Member

And all of those commands are personal directions to His disciples, not directions to some organization.

11. SolaSaint

SolaSaint Well-Known Member

It is easy to point a finger at others and what you beleive to be their shortcomings because it makes you feel superior and more righteous. If we can make another Christian look less pious than ourselves it elavates our opinion of ourselves. It's a pride thing. Campolo is very guilty of this as well as myself and anyone else who is quick to point out faults in ministries.

I have more problems with Campolo though--he once denied Jesus as the only way to salvation. Now that wasn't criticizing his ministry, but his heresy, that is different.

12. Mike Stidham

Mike Stidham Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And I'm not sure I want a Mormon such as Glenn Beck telling me what's theologically correct.

13. SolaSaint

SolaSaint Well-Known Member

I agree Mike, I like his politics but as of late he has started inserting his theology and we all know he belongs to a cult. Todd Friel has been trying to get Beck to call him about his theology but I'm not sure he has achieved anything yet.