1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Reformed Baptists, Are they Baptist?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Iconoclast, May 2, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Some try and suggest they are not.
    Their confessions of faith declare they are;
    Chapter 29: Of Baptism
    1._____ Baptism is an ordinance of the New Testament, ordained by Jesus Christ, to be unto the party baptized, a sign of his fellowship with him, in his death and resurrection; of his being engrafted into him; of remission of sins; and of giving up into God, through Jesus Christ, to live and walk in newness of life.
    ( Romans 6:3-5; Colossians 2;12; Galatians 3:27; Mark 1:4; Acts 22:16; Romans 6:4 )
    2._____ Those who do actually profess repentance towards God, faith in, and obedience to, our Lord Jesus Christ, are the only proper subjects of this ordinance.
    ( Mark 16:16; Acts 8:36, 37; Acts 2:41; Acts 8:12; Acts 18:8 )

3._____The outward element to be used in this ordinance is water, wherein the party is to be baptized, in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit.
    ( Matthew 28:19, 20; Acts 8:38 )

4._____Immersion, or dipping of the person in water, is necessary to the due administration of this ordinance. ( Matthew 3:16; John 3:23 )

2. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Who is saying reformed baptists are not baptists?

peace to you

3. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    Perhaps you need to have a zoom with the moderators or administrators or something.

peace to you

4. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not sure that this is correct.

Most Baptists disagree with Reformed Baptists insofar as doctrine goes (at least the Reformed part), but they are considered Baptists, perhaps with extreme or outlying beliefs depending on who you ask.

Earlier Baptists probably would have disagreed as there is more (depending on who's counting) to Baptist than observing believers baptism. But many current non-Reformed Baptists would find it difficult to fit in early Baptist standards.

Likewise early Reformed churches would have rejected the idea that one could be a Reformed and Baptist because one negates the other.

Reformed Baptist doctrine is an amalgamation of Presbyterian doctrine and Baptist doctrine (but most Baptist doctrine is a mixture of some type of Reformation doctrine and earlier Baptist Doctrine...so I wouldn't let that bother you).

For me, Id say Reformed Baptists are baptists. Perhaps they lean more on Presbyterian doctrine, but they are still my Baptist brethren.

I never considered myself a Reformed Baptist - not because of doctrine but because of the church I attended (I chose a church united in Christ but without an official position on Calvinism). It was this board, in fact, that made me decide never to attend a Reformed Baptist church even though I agreed with their doctrine.

But as a Calvinist I would have been a Reformed Baptist. And I was no less a Baptist then as now.

5. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was wondering the same. Baptists are a diverse group. As a whole, we disagree about a lot. But we are still Baptists. I was a Baptist when I was a Calvinist and I am still a Baptist now that I am not.

6. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think everybody on this forum - even non-Calvinists - believe that Reformed Baptist are baptists (it's in the name, after all :Wink ).

7. atpollard

atpollard Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would suggest that “Reformed Baptist” is a sloppy term since “Reformed” typically involves so much more than “Calvinism/TULIP” and much of the rest (like the heavy Covenant emphasis) is not particularly Baptist and some (like Paedobaptism) is contra-Baptist.

I believe PARTICULAR BAPTIST is a better term and anyone adhering to the 1689 Baptist Confession of Faith is most certainly a Baptist … and a “True Baptist” at that (as in “no true Scotsman”). :Cool

8. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good point. Reformed Baptist, Particular Baptist, and Calvinist within Baptist circles all mean the same thing but at the same time each can be perceived differently.

When we hear Reformed Baptist we often think Covenant Theology, elder leadership and such.

When we hear Particular Baptist we think 5 point Baptist (I think Spurgeon).

When we hear Calvinist in Baptist circles we often think of moderate Calvinist (or inconsistent Calvinist :Biggrin ).

9. DaveXR650

DaveXR650 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I visit the PuritanBoard sometimes and they get into heated discussions about whether Baptists can really be "reformed" or Calvinist. They are more refined though and never even use all caps.
    I think you nailed it. Most reformed Baptist churches I know of do not insist you be a 5 point Calvinist and many of the folks would be at a loss to explain covenant theology. What I see is a basic fundamental Baptist theology, with a moderate Calvinism that in practice gets you away from manipulative invitations, and the "once saved always saved" no matter how you live after making a decision. I like the deemphasis on some of the external legalism and the fact that evangelism is still emphasized.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yea....many on the Puritan board are traditionally Reformed and do not like to see "Reformed" and "Baptist" together as they see one theology as negating the other.

I guess it would be like us seeing "Catholic Baptist" :Wink

11. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    What happened to the “Covenant of redemption” thread in the theology section?

I was attempting to understand the concept, but now I can’t find it.

I know Icon started it, so what’s up?

peace to you

12. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    It was misplaced. There was another in the Baptist Theology section. Since there was t enough to merge into that one I just closed it.

I almost left it open, but since we don't have any Presbyterians here I didn't see a reason.

You want it here too ? (I don't mind, if there's a need I'll open it).

13. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sure, thanks. I was attempting to understand the idea.

peace to you

14. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Done.

When I get a chance I'll outline what Covenant Theology is - not going down passages, we all agree on the passages, but the actual framework. The other thread was getting to cloudy.

Covenant Theology itself is simple. But there are differing views on exactly how many covenants.

15. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thread closed. OP banned.

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.