1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Reformed Salvation

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by SavedByGrace, Nov 23, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am saying that Israel is everyone who is elect, chosen, children of the Promise (see Romans 9) from all nations, tribes and tongues, not just genetic ancesters of Jacob. Thus, when the last person is given the gift of faith, all Israel will be saved,just as Paul tells us in Romans 11.

Romans 6:23 tells us all have sinned. Everyone who will stand before God, justified by faith in the atoning sacrifice of Christ Jesus, needs redemption. Those whom Jesus did not atone for, die in their sins. They have no Savior.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is why the title of this thread is so stupid. There is no such thing as Reformed salvation, there is only God's salvation by grace alone.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. DaveXR650

DaveXR650 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Silverhair, thanks for the thoughtful reply. The only thing I would say is that in my experience with myself and watching others I don't have an optimistic view that any of us, on our own will make good choices enough to be saved. I think what we are calling Calvinism has the most solid rational explanation for how these things work. If you really mean that salvation depends upon your own choices from some wisdom that you possess from within yourself I would just say I strongly disagree. (You may not actually mean that so I'm not accusing.)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Silverhair

Silverhair Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Austin as I have said before I think you have really misunderstood the scriptures. But be that as it may. Question, where do you get this "Gift of Faith" surely not not using Eph 2:8 to support that are you?.

Your view of the atonement is not biblical and I think you only hold to it so as to support your Calvinist theology. We may agree on some things but we have many that we will not agree on, but you know that.

You say you once held a free will view, quite frankly the fact you would change from that does surprise me. As I have studied the bible one thing I do not find in it is Calvinist theology. If I have to jump all over the bible to find verses that support a view then perhaps I should not be jumping all over the bible to support that view.

5. Silverhair

Silverhair Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    What I am saying is that God has told us that we have no excuse for not knowing there is a God and He has sent the Holy Spirit to convict us of our sins. We also have other Christians that have an impact on our lives. So God is reaching out to us via many different ways. To think that the only way He could save anyone is if He forced them to believe, which is what Calvinism really comes down to, to me shows a great lack of respect for the character of God. While you may see Calvinism as a rational explanation I find it very illogical when you look at the character of God as found in the bible when we look at Christ Jesus and what He told us in
    Luk 10:27 So he answered and said, "'YOU SHALL LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART, WITH ALL YOUR SOUL, WITH ALL YOUR STRENGTH, AND WITH ALL YOUR MIND,' and 'YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF.'" Since under Calvinism God only loves some people enough to save them then He is asking us to do something that He does not do. Show love to all people.

6. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    I take from this that you think Jesus authored faith in everyone at conception rather than at salvation.
    I also take it that you reject penal substitutionary atonement and have created some other, non-biblical, form of atonement.
    Truly you have views that are foreign to the early church.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. DaveXR650

DaveXR650 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, that's OK. I don't agree with a lot of what you say and enjoy debating it on a Baptist Debate Forum, but nothing you said above would make me not want to worship with you or be a fellow member of a church. I bet your views above would constitute a majority of most Baptist churches.

8. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You are not describing the biblical God,but rather a god of your imagination.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This thread is closed
    feel free to start a new thread

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.