1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Refusing service

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Judith, Mar 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good post on this, sad to see many bethren have bought into the liberal media's spin on this issue!

2. North Carolina Tentmaker

No you miss represent me and the failed Arizona Law. Neither promoted sin. What the law would have done, and what I do support is allowing people to exercise their freedom to worship as they see fit, even when I disagree with it. What I would like, but apparently can not longer get in the United States is the same consideration in return.

3. Judith

Judith Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Like any liberal you have to add to what another says because you have no biblical reply.

4. Judith

Judith Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What are you talking about?

5. Judith

Judith Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You need to stay off the wine. This has nothing to do with performing a wedding.

6. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is your defense? Do you still assert "God says that about all sin," when He clearly does not?

Yes, and the rapist and the pimp and the pedophile and the murder and human trafficker, etc., etc.

This is entirely beside the point. Funny you should equate the refusal of some to contract with Sodom as hatred for their fellow man.

*snip remaining irrelevant drivel*

7. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    iam not drunk on any wine, never drank, just striving to stay "drunk on the Holy Spirit!"

And weddings gave everything to do with this, as next stage will be to force Pastors to saunction same sex weddings, or else either get defroked, or in jail for refusal to do them!

8. thisnumbersdisconnected

Solomon wrote of wisdom speaking for God, having been "with Him" from the beginning:

Proverbs 8, NASB
    7 "For my mouth will utter truth;
    And wickedness is an abomination to my lips."​
    Explain that one. Wickedness is the Hebrew 'resha, meaning "wrong." All sin is wrong, here Wisdom, speaking for God, calls wrong "an abomination." "Haughty eyes, a lying tongue ... hands that shed innocent blood, a heart that devises wicked plans, feet that run rapidly to evil, a false witness ... one who spreads strife among brothers" (6:17-19), "a false balance" (11:1), "the perverse in heart" (11:20), "lying lips" (12:22), "the sacrifice of the wicked" (15:8), "the ways of the wicked" (15:9), "evil plans" (15:26), the "proud in heart (16:5), "kings [who] commit wicked acts" (16:12), "he who justifies the wicked and he who condemns the righteous" (17:15), "the scoffer" (24:9), "he who turns from listening to the law ... and even his prayer" (28:9) -- all are called "an abomination." Find me a sin that those don't cover, and I'll admit you're right, that He doesn't call all sin an abomination. You're playing words with God's word. Not a smart thing to do.
    Yes. Your point?
    So it isn't our job to take the gospel to the sinner? Is that what you're saying, because from my front porch, that is entirely the point.
    Straw man. I didn't say that, and you know it. It is faulty reasoning at best, and outright disingenuousness at worst. So tell me, Aaron, which are you guilty of?
    That's what you should have done to your entire post.

9. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    None that I now of hold to that view, and I now of no SBC church that would support serving homosexual weddings. That include Fla, NM, TX, and AL. I can assure you your view is few and far between.

10. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In the very chapter you used:
    Men do not despise a thief, if he steal to satisfy his soul when he is hungry
    The term abomination is reserved for especially destructive sins like paganism and sexual perversion. The Lord sought to kill Moses because he hadn't circumcised his son, but He did not seek to kill Moses because he spoke unadvisedly with his lips at the Waters of Strife.

Generally, those sins for which the law prescribed the death penalty are abominations, and those for which restitution was prescribed are not thusly classified.

And, the lives of Christians, fraught with sin, are not abominable. On the contrary, they are the salt of the earth. But Sodom is abominable, a direct opposition to nature and nature's God.

#70 Aaron, Mar 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2014
  11. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    SBC Chief Ethicist Russell Moore takes a 'just don't ask' approach:

Moore to the Point: Should a Christian Photographer Work at a Same-Sex Wedding Ceremony?

"I would say that the decisions you’ll make, generally, as a wedding photographer will correspond often with the Corinthian dilemma of whether to eat meat that had been offered to idols (1 Cor. 8).

The Apostle Paul says, first of all, that the idols don’t represent real gods (1 Cor. 8:4), in the same way that you would argue that a wedding without a bride or a groom isn’t really a marriage. If something’s put before you, the apostle writes, eat it to the glory of God, no questions asked.

But, the apostle says, if the food is advertised as sacrificed to idols abstain from it for the sake of the consciences of those around you (1 Cor. 8:7-9). This is the difference between investigating a doughnut shop owner’s buying habits before eating there and stopping in for doughnuts when the sign out front flashes: “Eat here and support our owner’s cocaine and prostitutes habit.”

You need not investigate as a wedding photographer whether the wedding you are photographing is Christ-honoring. But when there is an obvious deviation from the biblical reality, sacrifice the business for conscience, your own and those of the ones in your orbit who would be confused.

That said, don’t be mean."

12. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

What on earth are you talking about?

???

As I've said countless times before, God has defined what marriage is over in Genesis 2. There is no gay marriage for Christ following pastors to perform.Get back on point.

13. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    May I change course here just a bit - suppose a photograper refuse to take a job because there was alcholic being served at the reception?

14. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Based solely upon my christianity, no one should be forced to perform gay marriages, make floral arrangements/bake wedding cakes for gay marriages, etc.

And this "christians lapsing into homosexual erocticism" is quite distrubing...:eek:

15. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

You don't have to say anything about the why. Just say I don't want the job.

16. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

My personal opinion is that if "an individual" owns a business he has the right to refuse service to anyone. The person might not stay in business long but not because of a lawsuit!
    I might not like being refused but that is also my right.

17. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

I did a search but could not find it. Just where in Scripture does it say we are to "love the sinner"? I know some sinners that I love, one of thin is me!

18. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There you go. Love your neighbor as yourself.

19. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Christianity is the standard and pillar of the truth.

20. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

For all:

Okay, you're a baker and have some cakes made just to sell. They're in a display, and are plain, with a few flowers designed on them.

A gay couple comes in a wants one of these cakes, seeing they don't want anything extragivant(sp?). Now what would you do?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.