1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Reina Valera Gomez

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by 4His_glory, Apr 24, 2008.

1. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Case and point. He should have never used the KJV just the originals.

2. Manny Rodriguez

Manny Rodriguez New Member

Bro. George also states:

He never says "caridad" is a problem in the RVG. He only tries to use that as an attempt to somehow create a conspiracy theory that Bro. Gomez was intimidated into applying that word by some imaginary Ruckmanite crowd that is supposedly pulling his strings behind the scenes, of which I blew that theory out of the water in this article: http://www.deanburgonsociety.org/idx_foreign_bibles.htm

3. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Yes he did. Here is an unofficial transcript by me. He said:
    "But the standard to follow has to be the King James. I say that in public and I am not ashamed of it. 100%"

4. Manny Rodriguez

Well then you should have been around to rebuke the 1960 revisers for using and incorporating the ASV and RSV in their revision. They didn't "just use the originals". Here's a quote from Dr. Jose Flores, one of the RV 1960 consultants to the revision committee:

Why are you against Humberto Gomez using the KJV for his revision but you are not against the 1960 revisers for using the RSV and ASV? Isn't that a double-standard?

5. Manny Rodriguez

Again here is a quote from Dr. Jose Flores, consultant to the 1960 revision committee:

Care to retract your statement or adjust your view on translation work?

6. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

If that is true the I have a the same problem with it that I have with Gomez. Fact is that there is no such thing as a perfect Spanish translation just as there is no such thing as perfect English translation. IMO. The RVR 1960 is a good translation. For one their was a panel of revisers which is much better than just one man. And furthermore those men were far more learned in the originals than Gomez.

I need to go. I have things to prepare for our prayer meeting tonight. I may address your other posts latter.

7. Manny Rodriguez

I must go also. And there is much more that I would love to address with you, but time would fail me. At any rate, it is a pleasure to talk to you on this subject. Dios le bendiga.

8. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Gentlemen, forgive me for butting in here into a discussion about the Spanish versions, which I know little about. (Boy, am I glad none of my supporting pastors speaks Japanese or knows anything about the Japanese versions! :laugh:)

I have to disagree with you here, 4His_Glory. I believe you are being too dogmatic. A translator should use every resource possible. Sometimes we can get help in nuances and meanings by referring to how something has been translated into another language. In translating from the TR to Japanese, I have consulted other Japanese versions, several English versions (especially for my Japanese partner, who knows English well but doesn't know Greek), several Greek versions, the Chinese Bible, and up to ten different lexicons (including two Greek-Japanese ones). By looking at the English versions, my Japanese pastor has often caught mistakes I have made in translating from the Greek--leaving out a word, getting a nuance wrong, having a clause in the wrong place, etc.

9. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is for 4HG . What do you think of the Reina Valera 1995 ?Have you paged through it ?

What do you think of the NVI/NIV bilingual Bible? It first came out in 1999. I've been thinking of buying one of these .

10. Logos1560

Logos1560 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Consulting another language translation may be acceptable, but attempting to conform the Spanish Bible to the KJV as the standard instead of the preserved Scriptures in the original languages would be a very different matter. You indicated that conforming the Spanish Bible to the KJV was not the "only" purpose or goal of the RVG, but was conforming it to the KJV in effect one of the goals or aims of the RVG?

The claimed statement from Gomez himself saying that "the KJV was the standard to follow" would suggest that it was one of his aims.

11. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

I beg to differ with your observations. There was never a question of the reliability of the RV1960 until it was brought up by North American, non-Spanish speaking pastors (Mickey Carter, etal). I have never heard a Mexican pastor claim that the RV1960 was a 'corrupt translation' unless they were under the influence of a pastor or missionary from the USA who was KJVO.

You are of course entitled to your opinion, but God has blessed the RV1960 and will continue to do so as it is His inspired, inerrant Word.

12. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

John, I agree with you, but I think that the problem with the RV-G is the 'conforming the Spanish to the KJV' statement. There have been numerous attempts to do this and every one has flamed out due to the inherent flaw of trying to make one language conform to another. Some are upset because they see that the RV1960 says something completely different than the KJV in certain places (NONE of which affect doctrine or Biblical Fundamentals) - and in certain circles, if it does not agree with the KJV 100% then it just isn't inerrant or infallible.

13. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

I have never personally even seen a 1995. They are just not popular. So I really can not comment.

As the the NVI. I personally am not a fan of the translation method behind it, however I would never find fault with some one if they prefer to use it. From what I have observed it seems to be decent translation in the dynamic equivalence method.

There is also La Nueva Bibla de Las Americas done by the Lockman foundation. These is a good literal translation from the critical text if that is ones preference. I use a Latin american revision of this in my study (along with the original language and RVR 1960). The difference is that it does not use "vosotros" which is not used in South America.

14. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

I suppose I did sound rather dogmatic, but I can not emphasis enough that the biases and standard for a revision or translation must be the originals. I would agree that one could use other resources for consultation but never the standard to which the work must conform as the RVG does by the revisers own admission.

15. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Exactly and amen. This has been my experience (though admittedly limited) as well.

16. IFB Mole

IFB Mole New Member

I have some questions fro thos ethat know this stuff:

When someone says they are trying to translate from the Texus Receptus, which edition would that be and by whom?

Wasn't there MANY editions of the TR?

Furthermore wasn't the TR the "critical text" of its day?

Didn't Erasmus, Stephanus et, al. gather ALL the known manuscipt copies and compile ONE "version" from all known copies of the day?

Wasn't it a sort of compilation of all known texts?

Doesn't the best critical text of today incorporate in it the TR text?

We have SO MANY more copies and partial copies than did the translators 500+ years ago so isn't that a better "base" to compile an accuate Greek text from?

Just wondering

17. Manny Rodriguez

Thank you for your input because you raise some good points. The truth is that ALL translations are based on more than just the Original Languages. In fact, even Erasmus' Greek text, which became the basis for all subsequent Greek texts, was not solely based on Greek manuscripts. Much of the Latin manuscripts were considered and implemented as well. The same could be said for other Greek texts.

For someone to make a standard that a translation cannot implement any other manuscript evidence outside of the Original Language texts is to reject EVERY Bible translation in existence!

18. Manny Rodriguez

The purpose was for an accurate Spanish Bible. We believe the standard for accuracy is the Greek, Hebrew, and Aramaic words that underlie the KJV rather than that of the Critical Texts. Therefore, considering that we believe that the KJV is a completely accurate translation based on the Traditional Texts, we see no problem in using the KJV alongside the original language texts as a guide for revision of foreign language translations. Just as the 1960 revisers saw fit to implement the RSV and ASV in their revision.

But again, you guys are not giving Humberto Gomez any credit at all for his statements explaining that the Original Language texts were indeed used for his revision. (I watched him implement the Greek TR with my own eyes.) It's as if you are ignoring that fact. Again, here are some quotes from the horse's mouth:

Also consider the words of an expert in the Original Languages, Dr. D.A.Waite, who also examined the RVG with the TR:

At the same link just given, you can also find a chart by Dr. Rex Cobb. This man is the Director of the Baptist Bible Translators Institute, a former veteran Missionary to Mexico, a translator of the Bible into an Indian dialect, and an instructer in advanced linguistic studies. He is fluent in Spanish and is one of Humberto Gomez's collaborators in the RVG project. His chart shows that he went through the entire NT comparing the different editions of the Reina Valera such as the 1909, 1865, 1960, and the RVG. He documents each time there was a departure from the TR. His results were the following. The 1865 departed 28 times. The 1909 departed 122 times. The 1960 departed 191 times. The RVG departed 0 times.

The fact is that the Received Texts have indeed been implemented in the Bro. Gomez's revision. Those accusing him of not implementing the Greek and Hebrew but only implementing the KJV are either willfully lying or ignorantly repeating false information without doing thorough research. Again, as an eyewitness, I know these things to be so.

19. Manny Rodriguez

First off, many Spanish speaking churches are the product of an American missionary or an Hispanic minister who is the product of an American missionary's ministry. So I do not deny the influence that Americans have had upon much of Hispanic Fundamentalism in general. But as I said earlier, what if they are right concerning the Bible issue. They were right when they exposed Catholicism. What if they are right concerning Alexandrian Westcott & Hort Critical Text corruption? I think they are. Not because an American gringo said so. But simply because it's the truth!

Now if you are OK with the Critical Texts and with the ASV and RSV being incorporated in the revision of the Spanish Bible, than never mind. I will rejoice that you are using the RV 1960, which is still for the most part TR based, despite the several key places that have been corrupted with the Critical Texts. I will rejoice because the RV 1960 is way better than the Spanish NIV or the Version Popular or the 1977 or 1995 editions.

However, some of us are sincere in our convictions that the Received Texts are the true and accurate representation of the Original Autographs. So it is only natural for those of our persuasion to want a Spanish Bible that reflects such rather than the Critical Texts. And in the RVG, we have such a Spanish Bible. The RVG is 100% free of Critical Text corruption.

My father-in-law, who only speaks Spanish, was led to the Lord through a Catholic bible. Does that mean that I should be silent about the corruption contained in that bible? Or does purity of God's words really matter?

20. Manny Rodriguez

Again, you are ignoring the fact that the RVG project was not merely an attempt to conform the Spanish Bible to the KJV. The truth is that the KJV was used as a guide in the revision to conform the Spanish Bible to the Received Texts.

And again, let's not forget that the RSV and ASV was used in the RVR 1960.

It's just this simple to me. On one hand I have a Spanish Bible - RV 1960 - that incorporated the RSV and ASV to bring it more in line with the Critical Texts (according to their own admission). On the other hand I have a Spanish Bible - RVG - that incorporated the KJV to bring it more in line with the Received Texts. Which do you think that I and those of my persuasion are going to use?

#40 Manny Rodriguez, Apr 30, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2008