1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

relapse?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by nodak, Nov 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

That would be as far as I would go with making any determination. There is not enough information given to make any clear statement and I haven't. We would need to know what was the rest of their life like during that time. Were they seeking release of this new sin and broken over it and living the rest of their life for the Lord or were they like the proverbial hog walling in the mire? And finally even then we could not pronounce them saved as there would always be doubt and should be. What we can know is that no person who is born of God practices sin. It is not their daily lifestyle to be sinning as a way of life.

#81 freeatlast, Nov 30, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2011
  2. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

3. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

4. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't think anything. I know
    Whosoever is born of God doth not commit (practice) sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot (practice) sin, because he is born of God.

...wow. :rolleyes:

5. JesusFan

IF Fal really holds to those kinds of views, think would be better off becoming a Weslyn , as they official hold to doctrine of sinless perfection!

6. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

What are you wowing here? I curious because I saw a direct quote of Scripture. Are you in disagreement?

7. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Included in each and every prayer I offer up whether personally or in Church, I always ask the Lord to forgive me of my sins or ask for forgiveness of sins collectively. To me, only the self-righteous are totally and completely without sin..., exception being FAL.

Think of the man in the temple thanking God that he is not like other men..., while the other man smote his breast. Who went away with the blessing?

...wow.

8. nodak

nodak Active Member
    Site Supporter

I posted this after reading on Pastor Wade Burleson's blog.

He speaks of being able to lead an addict or alcoholic to Christ. They need not fear a relapse means they lost their salvation.

I also get confused. Some of the ones most strongly Lordship Salvation also strongly teach against sinless perfection.

So I wondered what ya'll would say about the subject.

9. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

10. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Well Brother look at it like this. When we are saved, what gets saved? Is it our flesh or our soul? It's our soul, of course. It has been made white as snow, and is unable to sin any more. Now the flesh has not been delivered from the clutches of sin, and it wars against the born again soul. When the flesh rears up and begins to do its desires, the soul, through the working of the Spirit brings it back under subjection. That is why a sinner can not continue in sin(practicing sin).

11. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

Psa 51:11 Cast me not away from your presence, and take not your Holy Spirit from me.

12. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

But this does not state that the Spirit was indwelling him all the time. The Spirit moved upon certain individuals (David included) and they did what God had intended for them to do. But there was no permanent indwelling in anyone untill Jesus was resurrected, ascended back to the Father, and then the Comforter came down.

13. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

So, if at any time after this the Holy Spirit departed from David, it would mean that this scripture means what? Do you think King David had the Holy Spirit before this season of sin, then lost it? If so, why would he pray to not take the Spirit away from him? Why not pray to bring the Holy Spirit back to him?

14. JesusFan

Not witht he scripture , but witht he interpretation of this passage by fal!

15. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

John 16:7-13

7 Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.

8 And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:

9 Of sin, because they believe not on me;

10 Of righteousness, because I go to my Father, and ye see me no more;

11 Of judgment, because the prince of this world is judged.

12 I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now.

13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.

The bolded big words are not for yelling, but emphasis.

John 20:22 And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and saith unto them, Receive ye the Holy Ghost:

Go back and read what the Disciples did prior to receiving the Holy Ghost. They did many miracles before this even in John 20:22.

16. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

It is a fact that some folks are more prone to have "addictive personalities" than others.

17. JesusFan

The Holy never sealed the OT believer, was not a "permanent" possession of him, as indeed the Messiah had not come yet, and the HS not come in the NT sense of term BUT...

The HS did not come upon "official" representatives for God in Ot, such as prophets/priests/kings, and as such, David would have been the annoited of the Lord, and really would have had some measure of the HS!

18. JesusFan

19. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

He was anointed by Samuel with a horn of oil, I'd imagine olive oil. God used this as sign to Samuel, and the rest of the Israelites, that he was to take Saul's place as king. But He wasn't given the indwelling of the Spirit, seeing that it never completely indwelt anyone until Jesus was received back to the Father. He would move upon them, but never stayed with them all the time like He does today.

20. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Not according to the bible. He always gives us an escape.
    1Cor 10:13 There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God [is] faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear [it].

So they have no excuse.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.