1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

"...relaxed grading policy for black students..."

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Wesley Briggman, Jun 6, 2020.

1. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Example true anecdote from my secular state university secondary education course: no black student should ever fail a course; all black students should get at least 10% added to all test scores; spelling and grammar should not be marked down on essays by black students, etc.

That would seem to be "adjusting the educational system for race", I would think. (The professor happened to be white, by the way).

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. timtofly

timtofly Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I said the educational system was NOT adjusted for race. That some professors teach the need for or do adjust grades, has nothing to do with figuring out IQ, how smart people are, nor manipulating the population.

It is not even good science nor logical to change grades. All that does is artificially mess up any data, thus making any study or test unreliable with false and artificial means.

Adjusting any system is only for economic purposes. Are there cultural subsets in any culture? Yes and they can effect the collection of data. It is how one lives culturally, and not the color of one's skin. Are they related? Who knows? Can genetics determine a cultural tendency? If education can change a culture, it is highly suspect, that genetics determines culture.

Education certainly cannot change one's skin color. Nor can education change one's perception of people "different" from "us". Only experience and trust in others can change perception and perspective. And probably only communication and dialogue will open an avenue of change towards experience and trust. Or not. Speech and communication can be more manipulative than any physical weapon designed to do physical damage to a body.

3. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did a bit of quick checking - about 60% of 2 parent families - both parents work - which means - 40% dont.

Why do both parents work - various reason, of course,
    Some work to maintain the standard of living.
    But Do you really need:
    Cable TV ( with my HD attena - I get 25+ channels)
    Eat our several nights a week
    two cars - (+ insurance, maint, ect)
    being involved in numerous activities
    Having the latest fashions
    going overboard at Christmas time and birthdays.
    Ect

Some couples have actually found it cost more for both parents to work - then what is brought in.

Just saying

4. timtofly

Faith:
    Baptist
    Education adjusted to change economic systems. There could be a degree of peer pressure, but putting children into peer pressure from 15 months of age is the start of even that phenomenon. It is a calculated investment and all entities in the economic supply chain rely on the data to keep life in a constant state of manageable change.

12 years of education for all potential partner types does not care about who works and who stays home, nor is that concerned about damage to the family structure. Family is now community. At least until a few bad apples throws it all out of balance.

5. RighteousnessTemperance&

RighteousnessTemperance& Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You reacted then went all over the place, yet somehow managed to avoid my question. I didn’t ask for good or bad, done or not done, effects of this or that, etc. I only asked what you mean by “adjusting the educational system for race.”

The best I can figure is that you mean simply to adjust grades based on race, as opposed to, say, changing teaching methods, changing or adding subjects, emphasizing different aspects, changing ideologies, dumbing down curricula, etc.

6. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    For folks that didn't read the articles or the petition it is based on, this is about adjusting grades for black students for this set of exams because of the protests, not forever.

Doctors often write letters to universities for students struggling with situational emotional distress or mental health conditions to have extensions or special considerations in exam situations. I think it is reasonable for students attending protests and experiencing distress in this time period to see a doctor for assessment and a letter to request an extention or some other consideration. I don’t think it is necessary to apply as a blanket rule to all black students.

7. RighteousnessTemperance&

Faith:
    Baptist
    So, then, do you agree that in this case it is racist to limit consideration to those of a particular race?

8. Gold Dragon

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I would say it is too broad in some ways and too narrow in others. Not all black students will need special considerations and there are non black students that do. A better approach would be a case by case one.

9. Gold Dragon

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Racism not only about any unequal treatment of races but an unjust unequal treatment of races.

It is just to consider the risks of different illnesses differently in my patients because of their race. It is just to acknowledge that many blacks will be suffering from emotional distress or mental health conditions from this current situation and need special considerations.

Yes, in the process of trying to correct past injustices, new injustices can be created. So it is important to be careful to minimize that.

10. RighteousnessTemperance&

Faith:
    Baptist
    This really is a major part of the problem, because what they are petitioning for is in reality systemic racism.

They want to have something for blacks without any regard for what others might be going through, even though they are a fundamental driving factor. Their own are rioting, looting, shooting, burning, indiscriminately, intentionally.

They aren’t justified. They are out of control, wreaking havoc, and don’t care who gets hurt. They want to tear down the system but pretend they are a part of it, sit above it. And Dems and the MSM are pushing it left and left.

Welcome to black privilege.

11. timtofly

Faith:
    Baptist
    The education system has not been adjusted for race....

That is what you quoted. It has not been adjusted for race.

12. RighteousnessTemperance&

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK, then let’s try it this way. How do you know that “the education system has not been adjusted for race”? Has the education system ever been adjusted for anything? Hint: It has, many times. How do you know that none of the adjustments had anything to do with race?

A few items to consider: how/what history is taught, how different subjects are taught, how grades are assessed, desegregation, busing, classes on race, ESL classes, tutoring, and there are certainly more than this list covers.

13. timtofly

Faith:
    Baptist
    Adjusting for race sounds like ultra racist humans going way out of the way to attempt a fools errand that will never work.

14. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Perfect description of Democrat/left/progressive conniving!!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. RighteousnessTemperance&

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh, it’s working all right, can’t you tell? Progressively it’s destroying the practical educational level of Americans, and perverting their worldview.

16. Wesley Briggman

Wesley Briggman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. RighteousnessTemperance&

Faith:
    Baptist
    I made the mistake of reading some of the comments. Found this little gem:

Just saw this sign on a Planned Parenthood office: