1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Relief telecast

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by LorrieGrace, Sep 3, 2005.

1. LorrieGrace

LorrieGrace Member

I was watching FNC this morning and they were talking about a show that was on last night to help those that were effected by the disaster.

I don't know the name of the singer (or actor), but he said that George Bush hates black people. I know people are frustrated and at wits end but saying statements like that do nothing but add fuel to the fire.

I pray that this will not become a racial thing. Some think that it already has. But I am going to pray and trust that when things become more settled that this will not be the case.

It does appear that the people that are being shown involved in criminal activity are black. I don't know if that is the media trying to stir up trouble and make another story line out of one that is already tragic enough or what their point is.

2. Brother Ian

Brother Ian Active Member

has nothing to do with this situation. The New Orleans mayor is black, the police superintendant is black, many of the people in leadership in New Orleans are black.

The problem is that people could even think the lack of help is due to . Give me a break.

The people involved in the criminal activity are probably black because the majority of New Orleans is made up of black people. I've seen white people on Fox News involved in the same things. Unfortunately, most of the population of N.O. is low income that probably could not afford to evacuate. You are seeing the results on TV.

3. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

Harry Connick, Jr. held a relief show on NBC last night. New Orleans is his home town and this has him very shaken up.

He asked other people like Aaron Neville, Faith Hill and Tim McGraw to help him. Other stars like Leonardo DeCaprio, John Goodman and Glenn Close were on the show.

In one segment, Leonardo DeCaprio interviewed someone and the interviewee is the person who made the comments you are referring to LorrieGrace. He was a young black man who was upset because when the media showed white looters they said, "People are grabbing food and water," and when it showed black looters they called them looters. He felt the reporting was painting a bad image of the black people. He said when they talked about white people it seemed that they were saying the white people couldn't get out of town and that they were saying the black people were too stupid to get out of town.

Leonardo tried to "fix" it by saying something like, "All of the people in the area are Americans and neighbors."

Then Stone Phillips also came forward and said, "This is not about race or class lines. Everyone of these people are good people, and they all need help."

The impression I ended up with was that they are afraid the massive coverage of the looters is going to prevent people from being willing to help.

4. LorrieGrace

LorrieGrace Member

TexasSky,

A poster gave me some addresses to go to and it DID look like they were saying the blacks were out of control while the whites were just trying to get by. It made me feel very angry.

I did hear Dr. Joyce Brothers on one of the channels say that people do not want to give when they see the negative reporting and I believe her due to incidents that I have seen from those around me.

I just pray that the few who have tried to make this situation about race will halt that nonsense. This is a human tragedy of great proportion. Inside, we are all the same structurally with the same needs. Color has NOTHING to do with it.

5. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Names and sources here.
    http://www.baptistboard.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/18/3493.html

6. LorrieGrace

LorrieGrace Member

Thanks Carpro. I don't watch those kind of shows because I am not into that kind of music. Looking back at what I said makes me realize that maybe the man was just upset by the photos that are on the tv.

I just hope that this does NOT become a race thing. That would make this huge tragedy all the more horrific. It is the last thing we need.

7. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

Actually,

The music might have surprised you.
    There was Amazing Grace, a song about faith from Tim McGraw, another from Faith Hill, and then they ended with "When the Saints Go Marching In."