1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Remarriage: A Healing Gift of God?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Jul 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nope I was the victim of terrible abuse. I won't go into anymore details other than this.

2. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are you married or have you been married?

3. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Those details are absolutely none of anyones business.

4. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You speak before you know. There is a proverb verse about the fool who spoke before he knew, but I cant think of the reference.

5. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes. You may have been justified in separating from your wife in an attempt to mend the relationship while living up to your responsibilities in the marriage. BUT this is not what you are saying here. In Piper's article YOU are the guilty party because your sin exceeds the bonds of marriage. If you read the article, the ONLY biblical grounds Piper provides is abandonment, adultery, and dangerous abuse. Your situation does not meet those qualifications, so divorce (as appealing as it may have been) goes beyond what Piper suggests is a biblical response to your wife's actions. You are the adulterer, your wife the victim, because your actions exceeded biblical authority. You, not your wife, actually broke the covenant the two of you entered into before God.

(You have already told us of the "abuse", and it does not meet the qualifications of the article. I'm only responding to what you have posted and John Piper's article. You are wrong per the article.)

6. Lukasaurus

Lukasaurus Member

Oh come on... you won't go into details because the abuse wasn't even "abuse".

Did she call your favourite preachers, "heretics"?
    Did she deny you sex?
    Did she not obey your every whim?
    Did she call you names?
    Did she compare you to her previous husband?

Grow up. Noone feels sorry for you because you are trying to hide your sin.

#66 Lukasaurus, Jul 19, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
  7. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But you don't know nor will I speak about the nature of the abuse that I experienced so you do not know if it was dangerous or not.

8. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Back in my day, you didn't admit it if a woman got the best of you. Just sayin'. :Coffee Men didn't wear earrings, men didn't wear pink, men wore the pants, men worked the jobs, and real men were very embarrassed if a woman whupped up on them, and wouldn't have dared admit it. :confused:

In 2017, the concept of manhood has greatly changed--and not for the better.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Granted that I haven't kept up on the personal things that have been shared but this thread is full of accusations and downright harassment.

There are things that shouldn't be shared on an open forum,
    Problems with ones marriage being a prime example.

IMO, it's well past time to shut this thread down before irreparable harm is done!

Rob

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree and why I will not tell these people the nature of the abuse that I experienced so a certain poster who has an agenda to attack me won't know if it was dangerous or not. He thinks he knows the details, but he knows nothing.

11. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mods you may shut down this thread as it has turned into an attack on me. I am not sharing the details of the abuse with these people who think they know everything, but in reality know nothing.

12. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You have already told us that this abuse was not physical (you said it was psychological). I am talking about the article (about what Piper has written) not about whether or not you were justified in divorcing your wife.

For the record, the only reason I agree with Piper that physical abuse is a biblical reason for divorce is that he defines "divorce" as leaving with the potential of reconciliation (rather than the secular definition that the marriage has truly ended).

There is no passage of Scripture that justifies a man abandoning his wife for any reason except perhaps adultery and (if that spouse is an unbeliever) abandonment. Period. That's it. No more. Anything else is nothing but subjective liberalism (and it ignores the nature of marriage itself - just ask Hosea).

You were wrong and you sinned when you divorced your wife. You really need to come to terms with this so that you can move on. I'm not saying you have to get back with your wife (judging from threads here, I seriously don't see this as an option). But you do have to love her (because right now she is really your wife....you just got some lawyers and a judge to "trump" Scripture). So where do you go from here? Nowhere if you don't deal with the sin. The way I see it, you have to decide who you will follow and you cannot follow God until you come to terms with your sin.

This is true for all of us. God simply does not bless disobedience.

13. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'll close the thread because you requested it be closed and it has strayed off topic. Before I do I will note that NOTHING has been discussed here that you have not posted in the discussion forum - to include the nature of this "abuse".

You should not have married, I think we both know this. But you did. You can't change the fact that you entered into a marriage (that you and your wife are one, united within a covenant relationship). You should not have divorced your wife (you should not have stopped loving her even if you had to live separately) and you should have loved her regardless of her mental issues (yes, you shared far to much about your wife on this board). You should not pretend that a secular judge dissolved what was united under God. But most of all you have to deal with this and move on.

My suggestion is that you NEVER enter a discussion on marriage, divorce, Lordship Salvation, or discipleship until your past is truly past. I guarantee it will end the same way (we can't talk the talk if we don't walk the walk).

Thread is closed at the request of its author.

14. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    No you weren't.

• Agree Agree x 3
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.