1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Renovaré Spiritual Formation Bible

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by franklinmonroe, Feb 25, 2009.

1. franklinmonroe

franklinmonroe Active Member

Does anyone have any first-hand knowledge of this wholly new translation? The General Editors are: Gayle Beebe, Richard J. Foster, Lynda L. Graybeal, Thomas C. Oden, and Dallas Willard.

The Old Testament (& Deuterocanonical) Editor is Walter Brueggemann, retired professor of Old Testament at Eden Theological Seminary and more recently from Columbia Theological Seminary (his Th.D. is from Union Theological Seminary and Ph.D. from St. Louis University, he was a very prolific writer of books and articles). Eugene Peterson is listed as the New Testament Editor. I did not immediately spot any similarities to The Message for the sample passage below (Luke 1:26-38) --
    26 In the sixth month the angel Gabriel was sent by God to a town in Galilee called Nazareth, 27 to a virgin engaged to a man whose name was Joseph, of the house of David. The virgin’s name was Mary. 28 And he came to her and said, “Greetings, favored one! The Lord is with you.” 29 But she was much perplexed by his words and pondered what sort of greeting this might be. 30 The angel said to her, “Do not be afraid, Mary, for you have found favor with God. 31 And now, you will conceive in your womb and bear a son, and you will name him Jesus. 32 He will be great, and will be called the Son of the Most High, and the Lord God will give to him the throne of his ancestor David. 33 He will reign over the house of Jacob forever, and of his kingdom there will be no end.” 34 Mary said to the angel, “How can this be, since I am a virgin?” 35 The angel said to her, “The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you; therefore the child to be born will be holy; he will be called Son of God. 36 And now, your relative Elizabeth in her old age has also conceived a son; and this is the sixth month for her who was said to be barren. 37 For nothing will be impossible with God. 38 Then Mary said, “Here am I, the servant of the Lord; let it be with me according to your word.” Then the angel departed from her.​

#1 franklinmonroe, Feb 25, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2009
  2. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have a copy of it.

It's not a new translation. If I remember correctly, it is the NRSV text with extensive notes and studies regarding spiritual formation.

3. franklinmonroe

franklinmonroe Active Member

Yes, the NRSV text does match the above sample. I could not find a copyright or credit given to the NRSV anywhere in their promotional information. Thanks