1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Repentance

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by DHK, Aug 23, 2007.

1. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

There has probably been threads on this before, but I want to start another one.

"Repent and be saved!"
    "Repent of your sins and be saved."

Are the above statements Biblical? Does one get saved by repenting in such a manner?

Last week some of our members were in tears as a member recounted how just a couple days previous her mother (about 70 years old) just trusted Christ. At that age she just got saved.

At that age would it be possible for her to repent of all her sins?

2. lbaker

lbaker New Member

My understanding is that the meaning of "repent" is more like "change your mind" or "turn around and go the opposite direction", rather than thinking about how sorry you are for individual sins. Sort of like "stop not following Christ and change your direction and begin following Him."

Les

3. Lazarus

Lazarus New Member

Nobody could be saved if they had to think of every sin they ever committed and ask forgiveness for each one. To repent is to feel remorse for the sinful life. If you truly ask forgiveness through remorse for your life of sin then you can be saved.

4. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. Repentance toward God and Faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ (Acts 20:21) is at the heart of the saving gospel.

2. But I don't think a person must necessarily know these terms in their entirety to be saved. Salvation is not based on a quantity-knowledge.

3. Rather, Salvation is to know that Jesus died for your sins and that you must, once convicted of sins by the Spirit, turn from sin (repentance) and trust Jesus for salvation (faith, believe). That senior would have done that, from what you explained.

#4 TCGreek, Aug 23, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2007
  5. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

I am reminded of the thief on the cross saying to Jesus, "Remember me when you come into your kingdom." And our Lord said to him, "Today you will be with me in paradise."

Where's the sinner's prayer here? Poor soul wasn't even baptized. lol

What did he do? He turned to Jesus Christ, beheld Him on the cross, and believed on Him. He recognized Jesus was a King. He recognized Jesus had power to save. He recognized Jesus was going to be in heaven, and was the King of that kingdom. He recognized that if Jesus remembered him, there would be hope.

He died under the promise of God. I reckon that 70 yr-old woman has done the same.

6. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I believe that as well. My father accepted Christ 3 weeks before he died (on his death bed) at the age of 75. No baptism, no time for good works, but saved none the less.

7. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Considering v.40, wouldn't you say that God was already doing a work on the criminal?

8. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

...not to mention he never tithed either :D

I think the very act of turning to Christ and recognizing He is Lord, and we are not is repentance in itself. To understand He bore the penalty for our sin, and to accept that on our behalf is repentance from thinking we are good enough that we can earn our way to Heaven, or that we aren't that bad to begin with.

9. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

They both were baptized of the fire and the Holy Ghost. Nobody gets to heaven without this baptism of the blood of Christ.

Repentance is more than just turning, there must be a "Godly Sorrow" set up in the heart that causes you to "repent" turn from your sins. The Godly sorrow worketh a repentance that needeth not to be repented of.

#9 Brother Bob, Aug 23, 2007
  10. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

What sins does a 70 year old lady turn from?
    How does she remember them all?
    If your theology is to be followed it would be impossible for any senior to be saved, or properly thought out, for any person whatsoever to be saved. No one can remember all the sins that they have committed from the time of their birth to the time that they are to trust Christ, let alone repent of them all.
    Salvation is trusting Christ by faith; not repenting of sins. I believe that is a wrong concept of Biblical salvation.

11. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

It seems that faith in the finished work of Jesus would lead to repentence. Repentance is a gift of God just like everything else we have.

#11 saturneptune, Aug 23, 2007
  12. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Don't get me wrong. There needs to be repentance. Repentance is biblical. But repentance from all our sins is not.

13. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

She turns from a life time of sin to Jesus who will abundantly pardon her. I don't know anyone who says you have to remember every sin that you ever committed. No one can. Guess what, Jesus has a record of you and He knows all the sins you ever committed. Do you believe that?

We have all sinned and come short of the Glory of God. I am surprised you asked that one DHK?

2 Cor 7:
    8: For though I made you sorry with a letter, I do not repent, though I did repent: for I perceive that the same epistle hath made you sorry, though it were but for a season.
    9: Now I rejoice, not that ye were made sorry, but that ye sorrowed to repentance: for ye were made sorry after a godly manner, that ye might receive damage by us in nothing.
    10: For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world worketh death.
    Isa 1:18¶Come now, and let us reason together, saith the LORD: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool.

You are the one who continues to say, His blood covers all our sins. Why would it cover it, if we did not need forgiveness of it?

You seem to try to make something hard out of something easy. IMO

#13 Brother Bob, Aug 23, 2007
  14. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Many have an unbiblical view of what repentance is. That is why I started the thread.
    Please don't use Scripture out of context. We are taliking about repentance in relation to a sinner coming to Christ. That is much different than a believer repenting of one sin that he has committed. Keep on topic.
    Neither is repentance sorrow or remorse as some tend to think.

15. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Maybe we have added too much to the term repentance. But isn't a conviction of sin and a need for a Savior at the heart of biblical saving faith? If they are, then repentance is involved.

#15 TCGreek, Aug 23, 2007
  16. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I beg your pardon, you never stated in the OP, it was just believers repenting. You just listed it as repentance. If you had correctly listed it as believer's repentance, I would have honored it.

I have not left the OP, you just thought one thing and typed another, it seems to me.
    If it for just believers sins, then ok, I have made my point about all sins anyway.

I completely disagree with you, if I understand you right. It don't matter how old you are when repenting. Age has absolutely nothing to do with it. You must believe a person repenting must remember every sin they ever committed in their entire life. Jesus knows, that is all that counts.

I think you should show where the OP, says "repentance" of who? If you say I left topic. If the topic is not clear but in your mind, we can't read your mind.

#16 Brother Bob, Aug 23, 2007
  17. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Perhaps you misunderstood me. I gave an example of how a 70 year old sinner came to Christ. If she repented, what was the nature of her repentance? Was it possible for her to repent of all her sins?

In no way was I speaking of a believer who had committed a sin after salvation and needed to make things right with God to restore fellowship. That is not what the OP is about. It is about repentance in the light of salvation. And in that light you quoted a passage of Scripture that had nothing to do with this subject.

18. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I am 68 pretty close to 70, so I can speak with some knowledge. Well, let me tell you what I said 35 or 36 years ago, being I am close to seventy, I still would say the same.

"Lord if it your will that I die, let it be so, but forgive me of all my sins and save my dying soul."

Old people are not as naive as some think. They have a wealth of knowledge and with age comes experience. Besides that, they got all the money, so don't look down on them too much.

You still got this belief that all that was in the building were the church, you really need to get away from that DHK;

2 Cor 7:
    8: For though I made you sorry with a letter, I do not repent, though I did repent: for I perceive that the same epistle hath made you sorry, though it were but for a season.
    9: Now I rejoice, not that ye were made sorry, but that ye sorrowed to repentance: for ye were made sorry after a godly manner, that ye might receive damage by us in nothing.
    10: For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world worketh death.

How many times you believe you get salvation?

#18 Brother Bob, Aug 23, 2007
  19. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Bro. Bob, I need a loan................................................:laugh:

20. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

How much?................:)

[​IMG]