1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Repetition & Redundancy in the Holy Bible 2.0

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by franklinmonroe, Nov 6, 2018.

1. franklinmonroe

franklinmonroe Active Member

My previous thread (with similar title) displays many examples of duplications of text across the Scriptures. However, it has be deactivated from additions (of which there are still many). These duplications of words, phrases, and entire chapters can be enlightening to the comparison and study of translations.

As you might expect, the Book of Psalms exhibits many such duplications; sometimes across different psalms, and some within the same psalm, such as this one from Psalm 57 which I read aloud for our congregation this past Sunday (KJV) --

5 Be thou exalted, O God, above the heavens; let thy glory be above all the earth.
    11 Be thou exalted, O God, above the heavens: let thy glory be above all the earth.

Did you spot the micro-variation? The two verses are punctuated differently in middle (colon vs. semicolon). Is punctuation important in Bible translation? Is consistency within a version desirable? How does your version punctuate these verses?

And Psalm 108:5 is extremely close to those verses in Psalm 57 --

Be thou exalted, O God, above the heavens: and thy glory above all the earth;

Do you notice duplications when you read your Bible? If so, would you share them here with us?
    NOTE: as in my previous thread, I would ask folks to not include parallels from the OT Samuel-Kings-Chronicles, the parallels in the NT Gospels, and quotations of OT verses in the NT (since these duplications are already well documented). Bless you, and keep reading!

#1 franklinmonroe, Nov 6, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
  2. franklinmonroe

Here is what one Victor Hafichuk has stated in part about the duplications found in the Scripture (from The Path of Truth website) --

"Any sin confounds, and idolatry makes fools of men. There are those who claim to love the Lord, but love the Bible instead, which testifies of the Lord. The Bible has been a supreme god to multitudes. Many of these Bibliolaters have placed a heavy emphasis on every word, as though each had a supernatural, holy quality of its own. Does that leave any room for translation, which can never render the original language and sense perfectly by letter?

There are many duplicate Scriptures, some repeating nothing more than unknown names that inspire no one. Perhaps Biblical scholars with some in-depth investigation might be able to glean some interesting facts from such passages, but would they need repetition of them? If all words of the Bible were so important for edifying the spiritual pilgrim, why the duplication?

And if God was given to deliberately repeating Himself, why wouldn’t He consistently repeat the more wonderfully inspirational passages many have come to appreciate so much because of the precious truths contained in them?

God isn’t trying to bore us. There isn’t some great, mysterious spiritual reason behind the duplication. The Bible, though much inspired of God, has been put together by men with infirmities. It is a collection of writings, gathered and collated over many centuries, not written consecutively, like a novel or history book, and edited to remove repeated material. This accounts for much of the inconsistencies, repetitions, and variations (some ever so slight) contained therein.

These duplications can be accepted as a weak point of the collection of books known as the Bible, they can be held up as argument that the Bible is illegitimate (though this argument fails), or they can drive a Bible-idolater (Bibliolater) mad. Or perhaps the Bibliolater, already in a state of madness, is so satisfied with his imperfect god, he couldn’t care less about the truth or the God he professes to worship. (The latter makes sense when you realize idolatry is about serving the idolater, not the idol.)

We see the purpose of these faults and apparent inconsistencies of the Bible as God’s way of saying, “I am the Lord your God…. You shall have no other gods before Me” (Exodus 20:2-3). That which is imperfect in any way is never to be worshipped. If the Bible is perfect, then let it be worshipped, but if it is not to be worshipped, then I say to Bibliolaters, contrary to their insistence, the Bible is not perfect, so there. ..."
    Indeed, sadly there was more.​

3. franklinmonroe

Not only do phrases, verses, and entire chapters get duplicated in Scripture there are also instances of words being repeated in immediate succession. I gave Holy, Holy, Holy (Isaiah 6:3 & Revelation 4:8) as an example in my previous thread. Now I share these triplicates from the Book of Jeremiah (KJV) --

7:4 Trust ye not in lying words, saying,
    The temple of the LORD,
    The temple of the LORD,

The temple of the LORD, are these.

22:29 O earth, earth, earth, hear the word of the LORD.

#3 franklinmonroe, Nov 6, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
  4. franklinmonroe

Here is an example of a repeated phrase from the Book of Amos Chapter 4 (KJV) --

6 And I also have given you cleanness of teeth in all your cities,
    and want of bread in all your places:
    yet have ye not returned unto me, saith the LORD.
    8 So two or three cities wandered unto one city, to drink water;

but they were not satisfied:
    9 I have smitten you with blasting and mildew: when your gardens

and your vineyards and your fig trees and your olive trees increased,
    the palmerworm devoured [them]:
    10 I have sent among you the pestilence after the manner of Egypt:

your young men have I slain with the sword, and have taken away your horses;
    and I have made the stink of your camps to come up unto your nostrils:
    11 I have overthrown some of you, as God overthrew Sodom and Gomorrah,

and ye were as a firebrand plucked out of the burning:

5. franklinmonroe

Notice the extreme similarity between Exodus 25:33 & Exodus 37:19 (Hebrew text shown below) --

25:33 שְׁלֹשָׁה גְבִעִים מְֽשֻׁקָּדִים בַּקָּנֶה הָאֶחָד כַּפְתֹּר וָפֶרַח וּשְׁלֹשָׁה גְבִעִים מְשֻׁקָּדִים בַּקָּנֶה הָאֶחָד כַּפְתֹּר וָפָרַח כֵּן לְשֵׁשֶׁת הַקָּנִים הַיֹּצְאִים מִן־הַמְּנֹרָֽה׃

37:19 שְׁלֹשָׁה גְבִעִים מְֽשֻׁקָּדִים בַּקָּנֶה הָאֶחָד כַּפְתֹּר וָפֶרַח וּשְׁלֹשָׁה גְבִעִים מְשֻׁקָּדִים בְּקָנֶה אֶחָד כַּפְתֹּר וָפָרַח כֵּן לְשֵׁשֶׁת הַקָּנִים הַיֹּצְאִים מִן־הַמְּנֹרָֽה׃

The text of Exodus 25:33 is shown with pink; the text of Exodus 37:19 is in light blue. Where the texts overlap the characters will appear as a dark blue. Two areas of difference: different vowel points in one place (a modern addition to aid in pronunciation); and just one letter in 25:33 that is not present in 37:19. I do not feel we must be Hebrew scholars to spot the one difference between these verses.

Using the same color scheme, now observe the two verses in the English of the KJV --

33 Three bowls made like unto almonds, [with] a knop and a flower in one branch; [12 - 3 = 15]
    and three bowls made like almonds in the other branch, [with] a knop and a flower: [13 - 3 = 16]
    so in the six branches that come out of the candlestick. [8 - 3 = 11]

19 Three bowls made after the fashion of almonds in one branch, a knop and a flower; [12 - 4 = 16]
    and three bowls made like almonds in another branch, a knop and a flower: [13 - 1 = 14]
    so throughout the six branches going out of the candlestick. [8 - 2 = 10]

There are 42 total words in 25:33, and 40 total words in 37:19. The two additional words in 25:33 could be attributed by the addition of "with" (twice in brackets here, printed in italics in most KJVs). Including those "with" 25:33 has 9 different words than in 37:19. There are 7 different words used in 37:19 not found in 25:33.

Most of those differences are virtually synonymous-- "like unto" = "after the fashion of", "the other" = "another", and "in" = "throughout". It seems the difference of "that come" and "going" is justified by that single letter in the original language. So, there nothing technically wrong with these translations (that I can detect).

There is also a difference of order-- in 25:33 the phrase "in one branch" follows "a knop and a flower" {see top line} while in 37:19 that same phrase precedes the first mention of "a knop and a flower".

But does that seem like a lot of differences in English when only one is really necessary? How many ways can the same Hebrew words be translated? {sarcasm} Shouldn't a translation be consistent? BTW, the entire Book of Exodus would have been rendered by the same committee of KJV revisers.

Here is how John Nelson Darby translated the these two verses--

33 three cups shaped like almonds in the one branch, a knob and a flower:
    and three cups shaped like almonds in the other branch, a knob and a flower:
    so in the six branches
    that come out of the lamp-stand.

19 [there were] three cups shaped like almonds in the one branch, a knob and a flower;
    and three cups shaped like almonds in the other branch, a knob and a flower:
    so in the six branches
    which went out of the candlestick.

Each verse has 40 words. Darby has a total of 8 different words (and one difference of punctuation). The same order has been maintained for both verses. Two of the words are in brackets (or italics), and we have allowed the difference between "that come" and "with went" by the Hebrew. The sole unexplained difference is his use of "lamp-stand" and "candlestick". Actually, "lamp-stand" is probably a better rendering since the Israelites would have used oil-burning lamps at that time (they would not have used candles).

Similarities in Biblical texts allow us to compare translation work in ways that unparralled portions of Scripture cannot. The two verses preceding the ones discussed above have even fewer differences (KJV)--

32 And six branches shall come out of the sides of it;
    three branches of the candlestick out of the one side,
    and three branches of the candlestick out of the other side:

18 And six branches going out of the sides thereof;
    three branches of the candlestick out of the one side
    thereof,
    and three branches of the candlestick out of the other side
    thereof:

#5 franklinmonroe, Feb 20, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
  6. franklinmonroe

Repeated phrases in Psalm 29 (KJV)--

A Psalm of David.
    1 Give unto the LORD, O ye mighty,
    give unto the LORD glory and strength.
    2 Give unto the LORD the glory due unto his name;
    worship the LORD in the beauty of holiness.

3 The voice of the LORD [is] upon the waters:
    the God of glory thundereth:
    the LORD [is] upon many waters.
    4 The voice of the LORD [is] powerful;
    the voice of the LORD [is] full of majesty.

5 The voice of the LORD breaketh the cedars;
    yea, the LORD breaketh the cedars of Lebanon.
    6 He maketh them also to skip like a calf;
    Lebanon and Sirion like a young unicorn.

7 The voice of the LORD divideth the flames of fire.
    8 The voice of the LORD shaketh the wilderness;
    the LORD
    shaketh the wilderness of Kadesh.
    9 The voice of the LORD maketh the hinds to calve,
    and discovereth the forests:
    and in his temple doth every one speak of [his] glory.

10 The LORD sitteth upon the flood; yea,
    the LORD sitteth King for ever.
    11 The LORD will give strength unto his people;
    the LORD will bless his people with peace.

7. franklinmonroe

Two identical verses 1 Kings 15:16 & 32 (KJV)--

16 And there was war between Asa and Baasha king of Israel all their days.
    32 And there was war between Asa and Baasha king of Israel all their days.

8. franklinmonroe

Some duplication found in Numbers 29 (KJV)--

22 And one goat [for] a sin offering;
    beside the continual burnt offering,
    and his meat offering, and his drink offering.

28 And one goat [for] a sin offering;

31 And one goat [for] a sin offering;

--- his meat offering, and his drink offering.

34 And one goat [for] a sin offering;

--- his meat offering, and his drink offering.

38 And one goat [for] a sin offering;

Same phrase found in Numbers 28:22 (KJV)--
    And one goat [for] a sin offering, to make an atonement for you.

Another example of formula repetition from Numbers 29 (notice some of the
    variations)--

13b ... thirteen young bullocks, two rams,
    [and] fourteen lambs of the first year; they shall be without blemish:

And on the second day [ye shall offer] twelve young bullocks, two rams,
    --- fourteen lambs of the first year without spot:

20 And on the third day eleven bullocks, two rams,
    --- fourteen lambs of the first year without blemish;

23 And on the fourth day ten bullocks, two rams,
    [and] fourteen lambs of the first year without blemish:

26 And on the fifth day nine bullocks, two rams,
    [and] fourteen lambs of the first year without
    spot:

29 And on the sixth day eight bullocks, two rams,

32 And on the seventh day seven bullocks, two rams,

9. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well....as Peter says in his 2 Peter 1:12 - [my paraphrasing] "A little repetition is good for you." HA! :p

10. franklinmonroe

So true, Scarlett! How much of Scripture do you think is actually duplicated within itself? Five percent? 10%? More?

11. franklinmonroe

Did you know that these words of wisdom are repeated? Are they particularly important?
    Proverbs 22:3 & 27:12, Proverbs 6:10-11 & 24:33-34, and Proverbs 21:9 & 25:24 (KJV)--

3 A prudent [man] foreseeth the evil, and hideth himself: but the simple pass on, and are punished.
    12 A prudent [man] foreseeth the evil, [and] hideth himself; [but] the simple pass on, [and] are punished.

10 [Yet] a little sleep, a little slumber, a little folding of the hands to sleep:
    11 So shall thy poverty come as one that travelleth, and thy want as an armed man.
    33 [Yet] a little sleep, a little slumber, a little folding of the hands to sleep:
    34 So shall thy poverty come [as] one that travelleth; and thy want as an armed man.

9 [It is] better to dwell in a corner of the housetop, than with a brawling woman in a wide house.
    24 [It is] better to dwell in the corner of the housetop, than with a brawling woman and in a wide house.

#11 franklinmonroe, Feb 21, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
  12. franklinmonroe

I am always fascinated by the same phrases being used by different biblical writers. Is this phenomenon because they are aware of each others' texts? Are these simply common sayings? Or, is this evidence for the inspiration of the Holy Spirit and the lone Author behind all these words? Notice this phrase used by several penmen in Scripture (KJV)--

2 Chronicles 5:13 It came even to pass, as the trumpeters and singers [were] as one, to make one sound to be heard in praising and thanking the LORD; and when they lifted up [their] voice with the trumpets and cymbals and instruments of musick, and praised the LORD, [saying], For [he is] good; for his mercy [endureth] for ever: that [then] the house was filled with a cloud, [even] the house of the LORD;
    2 Chronicles 7:3 And when all the children of Israel saw how the fire came down, and the glory of the LORD upon the house, they bowed themselves with their faces to the ground upon the pavement, and worshipped, and praised the LORD, [saying], For [he is] good; for his mercy [endureth] for ever.
    Ezra 3:11 And they sang together by course in praising and giving thanks unto the LORD; because [he is] good, for his mercy [endureth] for ever toward Israel. And all the people shouted with a great shout, when they praised the LORD, because the foundation of the house of the LORD was laid.
    Jeremiah 33:11 The voice of joy, and the voice of gladness, the voice of the bridegroom, and the voice of the bride, the voice of them that shall say, Praise the LORD of hosts: for the LORD [is] good; for his mercy [endureth] for ever: [and] of them that shall bring the sacrifice of praise into the house of the LORD. For I will cause to return the captivity of the land, as at the first, saith the LORD.

Also, the latter portion is found in these verses --

1 Chronicles 16:41 And with them Heman and Jeduthun, and the rest that were chosen, who were expressed by name, to give thanks to the LORD, because his mercy [endureth] for ever;
    2 Chronicles 7:6 And the priests waited on their offices: the Levites also with instruments of musick of the LORD, which David the king had made to praise the LORD, because his mercy [endureth] for ever, when David praised by their ministry; and the priests sounded trumpets before them, and all Israel stood.
    2 Chronicles 20:21 And when he had consulted with the people, he appointed singers unto the LORD, and that should praise the beauty of holiness, as they went out before the army, and to say, Praise the LORD; for his mercy [endureth] for ever.
    Psalm 118:2 Let Israel now say, that his mercy [endureth] for ever.
    Psalm 118:3 Let the house of Aaron now say, that his mercy [endureth] for ever.
    Psalm 118:4 Let them now that fear the LORD say, that his mercy [endureth] for ever.

I did NOT include here Psalm 136 which has this phrase at the end of each verse (26 verses), 1 Chronicles 16:34, Psalm 106:1 & 107:1, Psalm 118:1&29 because they have appeared elsewhere in my posts as examples of duplications.

13. franklinmonroe

1 Kings 19:10 &14 (KJV)--

10 And he said, I have been very jealous for the LORD God of hosts:
    for the children of Israel have forsaken thy covenant,
    thrown down thine altars, and slain thy prophets with the sword;
    and I, [even] I only, am left; and they seek my life, to take it away.

14 And he said, I have been very jealous for the LORD God of hosts:

because the children of Israel have forsaken thy covenant,
    thrown down thine altars, and slain thy prophets with the sword;
    and I, [even] I only, am left; and they seek my life, to take it away.

14. franklinmonroe

Psalm 67:3 & 5 (KJV)--

3 Let the people praise thee, O God; let all the people praise thee.
    5 Let the people praise thee, O God; let all the people praise thee.

15. franklinmonroe

I had left some "low-hanging fruit" but no one else bothered to post it. So, here is some beautiful repetition from Genesis 1 (KJV) --

5 And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night.
    __And the evening and the morning were the first day.
    8 And God called the firmament Heaven. And the evening and the morning were the second day.
    13 And the evening and the morning were the third day.
    19 And the evening and the morning were the fourth day.
    23 And the evening and the morning were the fifth day.
    31 And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, [it was] very good.
    __And the evening and the morning were the sixth day.

16. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Remember, the Psalms are SONGS, so some dupes are to be expected.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. franklinmonroe

Taking a look at Jeremiah 10:12-16 & Jeremiah 51:15-19 --

12 עֹשֵׂה אֶרֶץ בְּכֹחֹו מֵכִין תֵּבֵל בְּחָכְמָתֹו וּבִתְבוּנָתֹו נָטָה שָׁמָֽיִם׃
    13 לְקֹול תִּתֹּו הֲמֹון מַיִם בַּשָּׁמַיִם וַיַּעֲלֶה נְשִׂאִים מִקְצֵה ארץ בְּרָקִים לַמָּטָר עָשָׂה וַיֹּוצֵא רוּחַ מֵאֹצְרֹתָֽיו׃
    14 נִבְעַר כָּל־אָדָם מִדַּעַת הֹבִישׁ כָּל־צֹורֵף מִפָּסֶל כִּי שֶׁקֶר נִסְכֹּו וְלֹא־רוּחַ בָּֽם׃
    15 הֶבֶל הֵמָּה מַעֲשֵׂה תַּעְתֻּעִים בְּעֵת פְּקֻדָּתָם יֹאבֵֽדוּ׃
    16 לֹֽא־כְאֵלֶּה חֵלֶק יַעֲקֹב כִּֽי־יֹוצֵר הַכֹּל הוּא וְיִשְׂרָאֵל שֵׁבֶט נַֽחֲלָתֹו יְהוָה צְבָאֹות שְׁמֹֽו׃ ס

15 עֹשֵׂה אֶרֶץ בְּכֹחֹו מֵכִין תֵּבֵל בְּחָכְמָתֹו וּבִתְבוּנָתֹו נָטָה שָׁמָֽיִם׃
    16 לְקֹול תִּתֹּו הֲמֹון מַיִם בַּשָּׁמַיִם וַיַּעַל נְשִׂאִים מִקְצֵה־אָרֶץ בְּרָקִים לַמָּטָר עָשָׂה וַיֹּצֵא רוּחַ מֵאֹצְרֹתָֽיו׃
    17 נִבְעַר כָּל־אָדָם מִדַּעַת הֹבִישׁ כָּל־צֹרֵף מִפָּסֶל כִּי שֶׁקֶר נִסְכֹּו וְלֹא־רוּחַ בָּֽם׃
    18 הֶבֶל הֵמָּה מַעֲשֵׂה תַּעְתֻּעִים בְּעֵת פְּקֻדָּתָם יֹאבֵֽדוּ׃
    19 לֹֽא־כְאֵלֶּה חֵלֶק יַעֲקֹוב כִּֽי־יֹוצֵר הַכֹּל הוּא וְשֵׁבֶט נַחֲלָתֹו יְהוָה צְבָאֹות שְׁמֹֽו׃ ס

It seems at verse 10:13 that there are two letters (light blue) in Hebrew not found in the corresponding verse in chapter 51, and one entire word ("Israel") in 10:16 that is not present in 51:19. There is but one letter (pink) in 51:19 that is not included in the parallel chapter 10 verse. The rest of the Hebrew overlaps (indicated by dark blue), so just 3 letters and a word are the total differences. [I am not sure the Hebrew font is totally working correctly here]

Here is an English translation (KJV)--

12 He hath made the earth by his power, he hath established the world by his wisdom,
    and hath stretched out the heaven
    s by his discretion.
    13 When he uttereth his voice, [there is] a multitude of waters in the heavens,
    and he causeth the vapours to ascend from the ends of the earth
    ; he maketh lightnings with rain,
    and bringeth forth the wind out of his treasures.

14 Every man is brutish in [his] knowledge: every founder is confounded by the graven image:
    for his molten image [is] falsehood, and [there is] no breath in them.

15 They [are] vanity, [and] the work of errors: in the time of their visitation they shall perish.
    16 The portion of Jacob [is] not like them: for he [is] the former of all [things];
    and Israel [is] the rod of his inheritance:
    The LORD of hosts [is] his name.

15 He hath made the earth by his power, he hath established the world by his wisdom,
    and hath stretched out the heaven by his
    understanding.
    16 When he uttereth [his] voice, [there is] a multitude of waters in the heavens;
    and he causeth the vapours to ascend from the ends of the earth
    : he maketh lightnings with rain,
    and bringeth forth the wind out of his treasures.

17 Every man is brutish by [his] knowledge; every founder is confounded by the graven image: f
    or his molten image [is] falsehood, and [there is] no breath in them.

18 They [are] vanity, the work of errors: in the time of their visitation they shall perish.
    19 The portion of Jacob [is] not like them; for he [is] the former of all things:
    and [Israel is] the rod of his inheritance:
    the LORD of hosts [is] his name.

The differences of the KJV text include: one difference of number ("heavens" plural vs. "heaven" singular); two word choice differences ("discretion" vs. "understanding", and also "in" vs. "by"); an additional word ("[and]") in 10:15; several different choices of bracketing (in print it might be italicizing); at least five differences in punctuation; and one difference of capitalization ("The LORD" vs. "the LORD").

There did not seem to be any differences in the Hebrew between 10:12 and 51:15, yet there are two differences in the KJV at these points. There were two Hebrew letters different in 10:13 that do not manifest themselves in English (perhaps they are non-translatable). The Hebrew lacks the word "Israel" in 51:19 making the use of the bracket around it justified. Other brackets seem questionable: is the word "his" before "voice" needed or not? The word "things" seems somewhat necessary in the English construction but is bracketed in 10:16. Is it important to always bracket "there is" and "is"? All the translation work within Jeremiah would have been done by the same KJV committee members.

Could the impact of such aspects of translation such as punctuation and capitalization be underestimated? Are such features of translation such as brackets (or italics) for so-called 'inserted words' really necessary? Are they helpful or confusing? Can these things affect a reader's interpretation? Could they affect doctrine?

#17 franklinmonroe, Mar 4, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
  18. franklinmonroe

Still in Jeremiah I notice this reoccurring phrase (KJV) --

32:43 And fields shall be bought in this land, whereof ye say, [It is] desolate without man or beast; it is given into the hand of the Chaldeans.

33:10 Thus saith the LORD; Again there shall be heard in this place, which ye say [shall be] desolate without man and without beast, [even] in the cities of Judah, and in the streets of Jerusalem, that are desolate, without man, and without inhabitant, and without beast,

33:12 Thus saith the LORD of hosts; Again in this place, which is desolate without man and without beast, and in all the cities thereof, shall be an habitation of shepherds causing [their] flocks to lie down.

19. franklinmonroe

This morning while listening to the radio I recognized the repetition in John 16:16-19 (KJV)--

16 A little while, and ye shall not see me: and again, a little while, and ye shall see me,
    because I go to the Father.

17 Then said [some] of his disciples among themselves, What is this that he saith unto us,
    ... A little while, and ye shall not see me: and again, a little while, and ye shall see me:
    and, Because I go to the Father?

18 They said therefore, What is this that he saith, A little while? we cannot tell what he saith.
    19 Now Jesus knew that they were desirous to ask him, and said unto them,
    Do ye enquire among yourselves of that I said,

... A little while, and ye shall not see me: and again, a little while, and ye shall see me?

Jesus also spoke of "a little while" in other places in John --

7:33 Then said Jesus unto them, Yet a little while am I with you,
    and [then] I go unto him that sent me.

12:35 Then Jesus said unto them, Yet a little while is the light with you. Walk while ye have the light,
    lest darkness come upon you: for he that walketh in darkness knoweth not whither he goeth.

14:19 Yet a little while, and the world seeth me no more; but ye see me:
    because I live, ye shall live also.

#19 franklinmonroe, Mar 7, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
  20. franklinmonroe

A well known quotation of one prophet of another with credit given by name to the original writer. Jeremiah 26:18 & Micah 3:12 (KJV) --

18 Micah the Morasthite prophesied in the days of Hezekiah king of Judah,
    and spake to all the people of Judah, saying, Thus saith the LORD of hosts;
    Zion shall be plowed [like] a field,
    and Jerusalem shall become heaps, and the mountain of the house as the high places of a forest.

12 Therefore shall Zion for your sake be plowed [as] a field,
    and Jerusalem shall become heaps, and the mountain of the house as the high places of the forest.

Micah 1:1 confirms the identity of the prophet --

The word of the LORD that came to Micah the Morasthite in the days of Jotham, Ahaz, [and] Hezekiah, kings of Judah, which he saw concerning Samaria and Jerusalem.

#20 franklinmonroe, Mar 11, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2019