1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Republican at a Prayer Breakfast Jokes About Her Shacking Up

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by KenH, Jul 28, 2023.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you want to call me a "snowflake Christian" for being offended by sinful behavior - regardless of whether it is sinful behavior done by myself or others - then go ahead.

#21 KenH, Jul 28, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2023
  2. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree.

And I agree with not answering a fool according to their folly.

I expect Trump to be crude, to curse, to insult. I am not offended. I expect politicians to say unChristian things. I am not offended.

If in question will identify when they are wrong. I have made such explanations in my church.

But they do not offend me. I am not a part of their world.

3. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am offended by both, regardless of whether they are of God's elect or not.

4. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not showing you anything. Not sure what you mean here.

I am saying that Christians should not be offended do easily.

Look at how many Christians supported Trump regardless of his speech. Look at how many Christians suffered ridicule under other Christians for expressing how his language was sinful.

There is no reason to be offended. We were at one time that way. Christ changed us. But He did not save us to be offended by others who engage in our past behavior.

1 Corinthians 13:4–5 Love is patient, love is kind and is not jealous; love does not brag and is not arrogant, does not act unbecomingly; it does not seek its own, is not provoked, does not take into account a wrong suffered,

5. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well....in DC they could be considered married. In SC, they wouldn't.

The point, however, is that if a Christian is so offended by the world what does that say of the Christian who was one time a part of that world?

We should be offended by sin in our own life. We should be speaking out against sin in our congregation.

But if we are going to be offended by a crude joke a politician told at a political event then something is wrong.

6. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sorry, I meant to type "call", not "snow". I have edited it. Thanks.

I say that Christians should always be offended by sinful behavior - especially their own.

7. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then you will live a life of being offended.

I am grateful that Jesus did not live that way but had fellowship with sinners. He even died for sinners. And He saved me when I was a sinner.

8. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Biblically, when a man and a woman “knew” each other, they were considered married. Ceremonies are man made and came later. I am not opposed to ceremonies, however, there is no instruction in scripture and indeed, Jesus says “what God has joined together…” as opposed to what a man made ceremony has joined together.

If a man and a woman were living together and stated they believed they were married in God’s eyes, I wouldn’t think it was any of my business, and take them at their word.

I certainly wouldn’t declare their union “invalid” and accuse them of fornicating.

peace to you

9. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    1 Corinthians 5:9-13 I wrote unto you in an epistle not to company with fornicators: yet not altogether with the fornicators of this world, or with the covetous, or extortioners, or with idolaters; for then must ye needs go out of the world. But now I have written unto you not to keep company, if any man that is called a brother be a fornicator, or covetous, or an idolater, or a railer, or a drunkard, or an extortioner; with such an one no not to eat. For what have I to do to judge them also that are without? do not ye judge them that are within? But them that are without God judgeth. Therefore put away from among yourselves that wicked person.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I hope so, but I am that I do not live up to the example of Lot:

2 Peter 2:7 And delivered just Lot, vexed with the filthy conversation of the wicked: (for that righteous man dwelling among them, in seeing and hearing, vexed his righteous soul from day to day with their unlawful deeds).

11. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree. Jesus said Blessed are those that hunger and thirst for righteousness.

We also told that each person must be convinced in the own minds concerning whether the behavior is appropriate.

It is a matter of church discipline with the church she attends. We should let them handle it.

peace to you

12. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree here.

Christians will interact with sinners in the world, but we should not with Christians who openly sin. This is an important passage when dealing with our current cultural climate. We don't judge those outside the church but those within. And we exercise church discipline. Otherwise our churches stop being a witness.

13. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you think they need to announce it before they start cohabitating, in that case?

14. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sexual relations between anyone other than between a man and woman who are married to each other is not appropriate, it is sinful, it is fornication.

15. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I pray not.

We need to follow the example of Christ when dealing with the world.

He was not offended by the World, but came to save them from their sin. We should not be offended when politicians, comedians, actors, or others in the world tell crude jokes.

We should judge this in the church, but not in the world. Even in the church we are not to be offended (that is also translated "provoked"...and we are commanded not to be offended).

What makes the disobedience of a politician telling course jokes or living together out of marriage worse than the disobedience of a Christian on a Christian board disobeying 1 Corinthians 13 being offended?

This just does not make sense to me. We should guard against all sin. We should not engage with Christians living a sinful life. But how does reacting to sin with sin equate to any type of good?

16. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you mean legally, it depends on the state.

17. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not talking legalities, but what @canadyjd would require, if anything, in the situation he described.

18. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not surprised as it seems like we disagree on pretty much everything theological.

Christ did not excuse sin before, during, or after His time living on this earth.

19. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    Should they? Yes. Have a celebration of God’s joining them together. Let everyone know.

Is there a biblical reference concerning announcing it beforehand? I can’t find it.

peace to you

20. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ok, we agree

peace to you

• Like Like x 1