1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Republican Recall

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by LeBuick, Feb 19, 2009.

1. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Not necessarily, private enterprise theoretically does better but of late they too have become wasteful stewards of the dollar. Bonuses, lavish retreats, million dollar bathroom renovations etc... Wasn't it the red cross CEO who owned the yacht?

However, I would like to see private enterprise give also. I will encourage anyone to include government and private enterprise to help those who are in need.

2. rbell

rbell Active Member

So... you know for a fact he doesn't help people?

Shame on you for such an accusation.

3. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

Actually, I have much more efficient means of giving money to those in need of help. So therefore, by supporting government welfare, you are standing in the way of people that need help, since I have less money to give out in my more efficient manner.

4. chuck2336

chuck2336 Member

I want to agree with you, but I cant. In all my years of healthcare I have seen what I call generational welfare. This is where you have two, three, four, even five generations of people, in the same family all on welfare. The parents teach the kids all the tricks and so on.

I think it is the reverse of your conclusion. The exception seems to be those who are trying to get out of the system, not the other way around.

5. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

Where in the Bible are the instructions you refer to here?

6. rbell

rbell Active Member

See my earlier post. I made it pretty plain.

Also...Scripture puts the job of taking care of the needy on followers of Christ, not the government.

7. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

Where does the Scripture forbid government help for the needy?

8. rbell

rbell Active Member

*sigh*

It's not a matter of "forbidding." It's that the primary responsibility for helping the poor falls on Christians.

9. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does your Mama know you're playing on her computer?

(I guess if a person constantly "talks" like a 5 YO, that should be the way they are treated!)

10. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Louisiana has a history of being one of the most politically corrupt states in the union, edged out I believe by Illinois with Ohio making a bid for the lead.

They want their crook back. They're used to their loyalty being bought and the current representative won't pay to play.

11. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Because sometimes "help" means letting people hurt because they reap the consequences of their bad decisions. It doesn't help people to keep bailing them out for doing stupid things. Generally that is called an enabler.

12. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I didn't say he didn't help people, I said he is standing in the way of others or in this case the government.

13. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

No reason we can't have your great idea and welfare also. Throw it out there, maybe others will join you... Like I said before, not like you're getting the taxes back so you can forget that money.

14. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I never said there are no scammers... I am saying we shouldn't penalize the people who really need the help because of the scammers. Welfare reform only eliminates the people really in need since the scammers will always find a way...

15. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

That Bible doesn't say the government can't help and it certainly doesn't encourage us to stand in governments way if they choose to help.

16. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

So you are making the judgment that the reason they need help is because they made bad decisions. Shame on you. What if the CEO took all the money so the workers got laid off? How is that the workers bad decision? What if the president gave tax incentives to send your job overseas so you got laid off? How is that the workers bad decision.

Some people are just a victim of the economy and times and not all have made bad decisions. I don't think it's our place to judge who is who.

17. John Toppass

John Toppass Active Member
    Site Supporter

I find that most folks that vigorously defend the welfare system and this horrific bail out plan are those who usually are not pulling their own weight. They have their hand out and the other hand is in some one else's back pocket via the govt. They seem to be able to blame somebody else for the self inflicted problems the have. And yes, some even post here on the BB.

18. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

54% voted Democratic this election and we knew there would have to be this kind of stimulus plan. I don't believe 54% are not pulling their own weight of have their hand in someone else's pocket. Some of us just care what happens to our fellowman and especially the children...

19. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

Oh, I see. The Scripture doesn't forbid it. You just don't like it. I can see why a greedy person would be against helping the poor.

20. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

50% of the population only pays 3% of the total income tax collected. So, it's not much of a stretch to say that 54% of the population does not pull its weight.