1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Republicans to press ahead with Kavanaugh conformation despite National Archives delay

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by kyredneck, Aug 3, 2018.

1. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ...this sound fishy to anyone else besides me?:

"The National Archives says it will take months to process the records Republicans have asked to see from Judge Brett M. Kavanaugh’s previous government work, throwing a curveball at the GOP, which had hoped to review the documents, hold hearings and confirm him to the Supreme Court before October.

The Archives said it will take at least through October to review 1 million pages that Republicans have requested to see.

And that doesn’t include the 3 million additional pages Democrats have asked for. If Congress waits for those, it could push the confirmation schedule beyond the November elections and into next year, when Democrats hope to have control of the Senate.

Republican leaders said Thursday that they will plow ahead. They are scheduling a hearing for next month, before all the documents are in, and plan a vote in October at the latest.

The documents have become the biggest sticking point for President Trump’s nominee to fill the seat of newly retired Justice Anthony M. Kennedy. Democrats say access to the 4 million pages would shed light on Judge Kavanaugh’s philosophy, and Republicans counter that Democrats are scrounging for reasons to derail the nomination.

Sen. John Cornyn, Texas Republican, called it the “great paper chase.” If Democrats were so interested in the material, he said, they could have sought it in 2006 when Judge Kavanaugh went through the same confirmation process to win a seat on a federal appeals court."

...I know there'smillions of documents involved but I can't help suspect maybe there's some cooperation between National Archives and Dims here in order to stall.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's a good thing there is nothing there anyone really needs to see. The multitude of documents asked for was just to slow the process down.

I'm glad to hear it won't.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. 777

777 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah, it's just a stall tactic, and it's not going to work. Even if it did, there are staggering odds against the Ds taking the Senate, Scott looks like he's breaking away from Nelson and Claire and Heidi are dead in the water.

• Like Like x 1
  4. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    From what I've read he would be confirmed if the vote were held now. Rand is a yes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If he is confirmed, get ready for a great cry of "traitor", with weeping, wailing and gnashing of teeth from the marxists.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That will start even before the voting, maybe before the hearings. Democrats will make this distinguished jurist and solid family man out to be evil incarnate.

7. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have heard the term "nazi" already.

8. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lol, you ain't seen nuthin yet, wait'll if he gets to replace RBG.

• Like Like x 1
  9. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Right - Goodbye Roe v. Wade.

10. OnlyaSinner

OnlyaSinner Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We've already heard a spate of ads here saying, "Call Senator Collins and tell her to block the confirmation of this evil judge." (Emphasis mine)