1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Republicans want to cancel voting rights for young people

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by billwald, Mar 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. billwald

billwald New Member

By Peter Wallsten
    Washington Post Staff Writer
    Tuesday, March 8, 2011; 10:41 AM
    New Hampshire's new Republican state House speaker is pretty clear about what he thinks of college kids and how they vote. They're "foolish," Speaker William O'Brien said in a recent speech to a tea party group.

THIS STORY
    New Hampshire college students can still vote in state, for now
    In states, parties clash over voting laws that would affect college students, others
    44: VIDEO: 'Foolish' college kids 'just vote their feelings,' New Hampshire speaker says
    "Voting as a liberal. That's what kids do," he added, his comments taped by a state Democratic Party staffer and posted on YouTube. Students lack "life experience," and "they just vote their feelings."

New Hampshire House Republicans are pushing for new laws that would prohibit many college students from voting in the state - and effectively keep some from voting at all.

One bill would permit students to vote in their college towns only if they or their parents had previously established permanent residency there - requiring all others to vote in the states or other New Hampshire towns they come from. Another bill would end Election Day registration, which O'Brien said unleashes swarms of students on polling places, creating opportunities for fraud.

2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    (bold my emphasis)

that is a bunch of hogwash - the problem is that those college kids are too lazy to send in a absentee voter request to their home town/state
    NO ONE is being kept from voting!!! Voting is a right and but also has responsibilities.
    I'm just wondering how many of those college students just vote for whom their liberal professors tell them to vote for.
    If you didn't get it the first time - NO COLLEGE STUDENT IS HAVING HIS RIGHT TO VOTE TAKEN AWAY -

So Bill - inform me, how is a college student being kept from voting?

3. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Agreed. I am 100% against disenfranchising young people, but this is nothing of the sort. Salty's points are valid.

4. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you StefaM -

All I ask is that voters (of all ages) be informed of the candidates.
    Much is written about the President,US Senate and Congressional candidates - but what about local candidates - have you attended their local forum, do you look at their websites, visit the election HQ's? If not, why not, get to know these folks and then vote intelligently.

In '08, Many of my taxi customers (many were Medicaid customers) said they were voting for Obama because he believed in change. When I asked what changes, virtually no one knew what change he was talking about. I contend there was only one reason folks voted for him.

5. FR7 Baptist

FR7 Baptist Active Member

Salty, I'm a young person and I can tell you in detail why I voted for Obama. My Republican friend Robert from choir is also young and he can tell you in detail why he voted for McCain. I also know people on both sides of the political spectrum who voted based on emotion. One's knowledgeably regarding political issues and one's voting record are not correlated.

6. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then you are in the minority

and I would contend this group was in the majority of voters.

Not quite sure what you are trying to say here?

7. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am curious. In your opinion, how many people voted against him for the same unstated reason?

I had a hard time deciding who to vote for. It came down to two reasons I did not vote for McCain though I have always liked him. I do believe that if he had stayed true to himself he might have won. But during the campaign he changed into a totally different person, IMHO ... perhaps he was the victim of bad advice from his political advisers. I was very uncomfortable with this strange new McCain. The reasons were:

1. It appeared he would follow policies begun by Bush that were and detrimental to the contry

2. But the major reason was I extremely uncomfortable with having a person one heart beat away from being president whom I believed and still believe would be a complete disaster for the US.

#27 Crabtownboy, Mar 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2011
  8. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist

I would agree that many voted against Obama because he was a Mulatto. No doubt in my military mind- though I think more vote for Obama than those who voted against him due to his race.

Likewise many conservatives did vote for the Republican ticket only because Sara Palin was the Veep. I would suppose that if a conservative was not the running mate, 3rd parties would have received more votes.

9. billwald

billwald New Member

I lived in Potsdam, NY, 9 months out of 12 for 4 years. I should have been banned from voting there?

10. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I got this feeling as well. I did not vote for McCain because of this ostensible "change." I did not vote for Obama, either (I voted for a third party candidate), but I had major reservations about McCain, especially with Palin on the ticket.

If McCain had chosen someone like Tim Pawlenty for a VP candidate, I probably would have voted for him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.