1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Resources for Interviews

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by terry williams, Aug 12, 2003.

1. terry williams

terry williams New Member

Just curious if anyone knows of any resources for ministers going into a interview with a search committee (i.e. what to expect, questions to ask, etc.) I have seen only one resource and now I have lost it.

Thanks,
    Terry

2. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Over the past few years I have saved the following from others.

Ask for the current budget, a copy of the bylaws and constitution as well as the last 4 annual church reports.

When they ask if you would mind if they did a background check or a credit check on you, say "Sure as long as I could have one done on the entire leadership as well."

Do the homework. It will make things smoother.
    1. Have them list of all of your responsibilities - including: church cleaning, mowing, shoveling, repairs, etc.
    - also including hours in office versus hours visiting and running (Church Business)

2. Full salary package (salary, insurances, vacations, housing & car allowances, etc.)
    - also what they base salary increases on - attendance, increase in $$, Cost-of-Living, etc.

3. Find out the openness to new ideas - OutReaches, etc.

4. Attendance history for past 10 years

5. Financial history and stability - including indebtedness

6. Why the last Pastor is gone? and their track record with past Pastors.

7. What percentage of the budget is spent on evangelism?

8. Where do you want to grow and what percentage of the budget is spent on it?

9. What is the role of the deacons?

10. What is the role of the trustees?

11. What is expected of my wife?

12. How do you handle jury duty?

13. How does a deacon bring ministry to people?

he last question that I would ask is, "Are you willing to pay the necessary costs of the changes that you feel are necessary?" Nine times out of ten the board/committee will give the the Chamber of Commerce answer..."Yes." Be up front with them and help them wade through the costs of change (financially, spiritually, methodologically, etc.) When you get a chance to get the real leaders of the board/committee alone (you will know who they are by then) ask them the question again. Be sure and do this in the interviewing process. If the leaders say "Yes" to the question in private, then ask them how they think they can help in making it happen.

Church Resume
    I. CHURCH

A. What event has shaped your church most in the last ten years?

B. How would you estimate the potential for reaching the unchurched there in the future?

C. What is the seating capacity' of your sanctuary?

D. When was the last time your church completed a building project?

E. How fast did you pay off that debt? What is the total amount of your present
    indebtedness?

F. What is your average weekly offerings? How much is that over last year ?

G. What percentage of your church families would you estimate tithe their income
    locally? Board/leadership?

H. What is the percentage make-up of your Sunday morning attendance
    ___Children ___Youth ___Young Adults ___Adults ___Middle-Aged
    ___Seniors

I. What is the make-up of your membership
    ___Children ___Youth ___Young Adults ___Adults ___Middle-Aged
    ___Seniors

J. What are your attendance patterns at meetings other than morning worship?

K. What is the pastoral history of your church?
    Who were the pastors during the last 15-20 years?
    What single sentence would you give typifying the ministry of each, and reason for their
    leaving?

L. Where does your church stand on the tongues issue? (Place an x on the following
    continuum.)
    Strongly opposed ______________________________________________ strongly favor

M. What are some touchy issues with the people in your church... divorce, alcohol,
    tobacco, materialism, or others, which a pastor would need to use care in preaching
    about?

N. Describe how your pastoral selection process' works. Will you interview only one
    person at a time, taking that person all the way to a vote for acceptance or rejection
    before initiating another interview? Or, will you interview a variety of candidates, hearing
    several before you decide which one to recommend? Do you plan on a "trial sermon"?
    Are you thinking of multiple interviews? Describe your process:

O. What kind of programs beyond worship for all ages does your church presently have
    in place?

P. What style of leadership typifies the desire of your church? (Place an x on the
    following continuum.)
    Board leads______________________________________________________Pastor leads

Q. How would you typify the worship style of your congregation? (Place an X on the
    continuum)
    Formal & orderly ________________________________________Free and informal.

R. How many people are weekly involved in organized scheduled outreach to the poor or
    the unchurched?

S. How many converts would you say your church has seen in the last year?

T. How would you typify the way your church treats visitors ?
    Extraordinarily
    warm_____________________friendly_______________________________________reserved.

II. COMMUNITY

A. Describe your community in a short paragraph (population, prominent employers,
    general atmosphere and attitude.

B. The church may do all of the following things, but all of them cannot take priority. What
    is your ranking of the following seven emphases in priority order (#1 highest, #2 next,
    etc.):
    __Missions __Worship __Fellowship __Preaching __Evangelism __Serving
    ___Teaching

C. Finish this sentence... Our church is best known in this community for:

D. What do you believe to be the most pressing need in your community right now?

E. Describe the largest church in your community or surrounding area. What is it like and
    how are you different/similar.

F. Over the last five years or so, when people have left your church, what did they say
    was the reason?

G. What do you think were the primary reasons?

H. What are the five biggest changes you would like to see happen in your church?

I. How and when was your church started? By whom?

J. Who do you feel has been your most ideal pastor'? Why?

III. PASTORAL LEADERSHIP

A. What do you believe are the most important priorities for your new pastor
    (#1 most important, #2 next most important, etc.)?
    __Time with family __Prayer __Visitation __Preparation for preaching
    __Counseling ____Administration ____Denominational/para-church work

B. What are your weekly time expectations for your new pastor?
    (i.e. How many hours would you expect your pastor to spend each week in each of the
    following activities?)
    ___Time with family ___Visiting ___Counseling ___Prayer ___Preparation for
    preaching
    ___Administration ___Denominational/para-church work_

C. What provisions do you make for the pastor's personal and professional growth?

D. How would you typify the prayer support for your present pastor?

E. What is the pastor's financial support package and the related matters of pension,
    health care, life insurance etc?

F. What are the arrangements you make for a parsonage or housing allowance?

G. What is the make-up of your present staff if you have such? If not, do you plan for
    staff?

H. Some church boards expect to play an exceptionally strong role in the selection of
    assistant ministers and other staff. Others expect the senior pastor to "hire the staff."
    How do you believe staff should be added to the church?

I. Do you make provisions or exceptions to the idea of the pastor's spouse serving on
    the paid staff at the church?

J. Over the past fifteen years which pastor's spouse do you believe has functioned in a
    most ideal way? Why?

IV. REFERENCES

A. Your current or most recent pastor (name and telephone number)

B. Immediately prior pastor (name and telephone number)

C. Prior pastor (name and telephone number)

D. Community person (someone familiar with your church, though not an attender)

E. Denominational or para-church official who knows your church (name and telephone
    number)

F. Recent special speaker who visited your church (name and telephone number)

3. David Ekstrom

David Ekstrom New Member