1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Resources

Discussion in 'Baptist History' started by rsr, Sep 13, 2003.

1. Berean

Berean Member
    Site Supporter

Wow! What a wealth of information, thanks. I am particularly interested in information as to when the SBC began falling away or moving more from Particular Baptist to Regular Baptist Doctrine. From the limited ammount of documentation I have it looks as if the early churches were more Partcular Baptist with some members of the Regular Baptist sprinkled in. Today in my church it looks as this is reversed. Please pass along to me anything in referance to this along with your OP if you like.

2. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    The doctrinal differences between Regular and Separate Baptists were slight. The Regulars were indeed Calvinistic and largely descended from British and Welsh Baptists. The Separates were also Calvinistic but descended originally from the Congregationalist churches of New England; during and after the Great Awakening, some of the New Lights from Congregationalism left the fold (or Separated, hence their name) and became Baptists.
    The Regulars and Separates in the South, for the most part, became undistinguishable by the beginning of the 19th century, sometimes going under the label of United Baptists.

I have some references for your question that I can assemble.

#42 rsr, Mar 23, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2013
  3. Berean

Berean Member
    Site Supporter

Thanks for your prompt and courteous reply.

4. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Tom Nettles, a leader of the Founders movement (which seeks to re-emphasize the doctrines of grace, or however you wish to describe it) lays much of the blame at the feet of E.Y Mullins at Southern Baptist Theological Seminary.

http://www.founders.org/journal/fj19/article1.html

(BTW, Al Mohler deals with Mullins at length, and in a more nuanced manner, at
    http://www.albertmohler.com/2009/07/16/e-y-mullins-the-axioms-of-religion/.

Jim Maples has reviewed the literature in his doctoral thesis, "The Point of the Southern Baptists' Departure from the Doctrines of Calvinism.," which can be found at http://www.rts.edu/Site/Virtual/Resources/Student_Theses/Maples-Southern_Baptist_Departure.pdf. Worth the read.

#44 rsr, Mar 23, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2013