1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Response to: "I have become an agnostic" thread

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Aaron, Oct 25, 2005.

1. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In reference to this thread:

http://www.baptistboard.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/10/5608.html

Well, that was a surprise to say the least.

And how else is one to feel when truly face to face with a righteous God? I have heard of thee by the hearing of the ear: but now mine eye seeth thee. Wherefore I abhor myself, and repent in dust and ashes. Job 42:5-6.

That is my experience. The more I learn of Christ, the more beautiful and lovely He is, and the more abhorent I become. This is the experience of everyone who truly learns of Christ. It seems you have the first part down. Now you just need the proper response. Repentance from dead works, i.e., your own works of righteousness (which you've seen aren't really lovely or worthy of any praise), and faith toward Christ.

BTW, thank you for the kind words.

[ October 25, 2005, 06:02 AM: Message edited by: blackbird ]

2. Travelsong

Travelsong Guest

I've learned from experience that this thinking is psychologically damaging.

The more you focus on your inadequacies, imperfections, shortcomings, self destructive desires, the more they become problems for you.

I am a guy doing the best I can. I am not perfect, but I am not evil. I will be the best father, husband, son, brother and citizen I can be without living in fear of some angry tyrant who will torture me for all eternity just to demonstrate his infinite benevolence.

I'm the same guy, subtract the endless self chastisement.

3. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

Travelsong,

Christianity isn't about self chastisement. It is about understanding that only with Christ can anyone reach their potential in terms of "best you can be."

It is about not struggling to be better "alone", and having an almighty God help you do the impossible.

No wonder you are tired and weary. Struggling to be God-like without God ~is~ impossible, depressing, self-defeating. Only Christ within you can give you the peace and joy and contentment that so many men seek.

You were approaching the equation incorrectly. Instead of "surrender to Christ, then seek to be like Christ," you were "seeking to be like Christ while rejecting Christ." That is the equivalent of saying, "Instead of baking the cake, and then mixing the ingredients, I'll bake the ingredients and then mix them."

4. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

Moderators: While this is an important topic, I need to ask why a person that has declared themselves to be agnostic is being allowed to post freely in a "Baptist" forum?

There are several other places that this thread could be placed.

5. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Good point. I will move this thread to the "Other Denominations Forum" for now.