1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Response to Rick Warren trying to ordain women

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Bible Thumpin n Gun Totin, Mar 17, 2023.

1. Bible Thumpin n Gun Totin

Bible Thumpin n Gun Totin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Scripture tells us that a pastor must be blameless, the husband of one wife,

Now, if a woman has a wife - then - well that's another story!

Wait - is it possible for a woman to be a husband

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not know if the snippets of Pastor Warren's argument for ordaining women to exercise authority accurately reflects his actual argument, but the snippets put forth an absurd argument.

It is one thing to accept that all church members, male and female are to engage in the ministry of Christ, and another to select leaders (Elders) according to scripture. Jesus using women to convey messages provides absolutely no support for selecting anyone to leadership.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not care what Rick Warren says... I follow scripture and its not tradition or any other thing... Its scripture... So the word of God lies?... Brother Glen:)

1 Timothy 3: 1 This is a true saying, If a man desire the office of a bishop, he desireth a good work.

2 A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach;

3 Not given to wine, no striker, not greedy of filthy lucre; but patient, not a brawler, not covetous;

4 One that ruleth well his own house, having his children in subjection with all gravity;

5 (For if a man know not how to rule his own house, how shall he take care of the church of God?)

6 Not a novice, lest being lifted up with pride he fall into the condemnation of the devil.

7 Moreover he must have a good report of them which are without; lest he fall into reproach and the snare of the devil.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't mean to hog the conversation but I remember a country preacher facing the situation of women preachers... And this what he said... After a sermon had ended and the final prayer was said and the church dismissed... He saw this woman come up to him urgently and said, I believe the Lord has called me to preach... He just said... Is that so!... The boys and girls were running around after church chasing each other as kid do, raising an unruly ruckus... He turned her around a little and pointing at the kids with a stern look on his face said loudly, WELL... WOMEN THERE'S YOUR CONGREGATION!... That didn't sit to well as she stormed off... Brother Glen:)

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually we should care what Warren said.
    1) We need to know why he changed his belief - so we can be prepared if such a situation comes up locally
    2) If a church that is in cooperation with your church were planning to ordain a female - what action.
    3) we need to teach our people what the Bible teaches - so we can instruct our churches.

Is there anything I forgot?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Useful Useful x 2
  7. Bible Thumpin n Gun Totin

Bible Thumpin n Gun Totin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'd say we should also care because Saddleback was big in the SBC. Last I heard the SBC was trying to kick him out of the convention because of this. Not sure what the outcome of that was.

His position seems to be that Jesus had women tell men things (such as telling the apostles that Jesus was risen) and that therefore Jesus didn't mind women preaching, and that the restrictions on women exercising authority was confined to only certain Churches. That's more than a stretch, it's a tear haha.

8. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    • Informative Informative x 3
  9. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
  10. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Saddleback church still lists SBC groups on its home page:
    Strategic Partners

Why would they do so if they are going against a major item of the BF&M

11. RighteousnessTemperance&

RighteousnessTemperance& Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good point. I wonder what their influence is in those entities. It may be quite extensive.

12. RighteousnessTemperance&

RighteousnessTemperance& Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Long ago, I was told very privately that women were likely ordained in the early church, and that if I mentioned this, it would be denied ever being said. There was no discussion, nor any suggestion that women would have had teaching authority over men.

13. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    1 Timothy 3:1 (interpretive translation)
    It is a trustworthy statement: if anyone aspires to supervision, the person is desiring useful work.

Here we have a translation stripped of the male designations supplied traditionally by translators. Note that "office of bishop or overseer" is not actually found, just a word referring to supervision.

However, a leader must be the husband of one wife seems to designate that church leaders are to be male.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  15. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Who told you that?!? Never mind, I withdraw the question. ;)

• Like Like x 1