1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Resurrection teaching

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by freeatlast, Apr 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Yes if we turn off our brains it is easy, but you need to read what is true.

Dr. Charles Halff, Director of the Christian Jew Foundation, in writing "The Fallacies of Easter" states;
    Sometimes people ask, 'Didn't the Jews count part of a day as a whole day or part of a night as a whole night?' Let me say this, beloved. Whenever you have the expression 'day and night' mentioned together in the Hebrew Scriptures, it always means a full day and a full night. For instance, if you will turn to Esther 4:16; 5:1; 1 Samuel; 30:12-13, and of course Jonah 1:17, you will find the expression 'three days and three nights.' And in every instance it means full days and full nights - not part of a day and part of a night."

2. Servent

Servent Member

WOW

Thank you Jesus for loving me and paying the price for my sin, that I might live forever with you

3. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Okay FAL, tell when you plan to recognize Easter. Sunday, or on Monday?

Otherwise, I'm done with this thread. It's in a loop with no end in sight.

4. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

I am not sure why you asked me between Sunday or Monday, as I am not sure why anyone would celebrate the Lord's resurrection on Monday. I celebrate the Lord's resurrection on Sunday like the rest of the church, but I also do so with the understanding that His resurrection took place before the claim of an early Sunday morning.
    So what I am saying I celebrate the One resurrected, not the day and seek to teach the correct times of events leading up to the correct resurrection day.

5. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not sure myself because I am not sure the day of the ordinal number could be the same if you are speaking of in/on the third day being the same as after three days.

However it is a great question.

6. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not sure you can find anyone in the present day canon of the word that celebrated the resurrection so in reality that does not matter. Easter ( The feast of the Lords resurrection) progressed from something that stated "ye do show the Lords death til he comes" to what it is presently, not by scripture.

7. thegospelgeek

thegospelgeek New Member

OK. Hold on now ! This is REALLY complicated. Pay cloase attention. Humor me a pretend that jesus was crucified on Friday and rose on Sunday. I know it's hard, but just play along for a bit.

Now what was the FIRST day Jesus died? Thursday, no. Saturday, no. Friday. Ding Ding. I know you do not agree but just play along.

Next step. What was the second day. Satuday. Now you are catching on!

OK now the big Theological step that I spent years of study and training to understand, spent a small fortune in Educational expenses and nearly flunked out.

What would be the third day? OK Friday=first, Saturday=second, OHHHH my brain hurts but I'll guess Sunday.

Now it works backwards the say way.

OOps I forgot scripture.

8. thegospelgeek

thegospelgeek New Member

To be perfectly honest I could care less what day he died. Same thing as how many wise men or how old was Jesus when the magi came. Every Easter at least 5 people bring thi8s up and every Christmas the others. All this along with the evils of Easter Eggs and Christmas trees. Beleive what you want, divide the days however you beleive is correct, but know that he rose on the third day like scripture says.

9. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

I see why you nearly flunked. Scripture says three days and three nights and you cannot get that out of your formula.

10. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

if you don't care why are you reading and posting? Those who seek the truth care.

11. thegospelgeek

thegospelgeek New Member

Take a look at the number of time it says third day and then search on the 3 days and 3 nights. Without doing a search myself the numbers are very slanted. I know one place that Mark says 3 days, jesus reference to 3 days is mentioned along with a statement like 'As johnah was in the belly of the whale'. Since this reference can be somewhat vague and many Scholars feel that Marks staement should be translated as "on the third day" and there are many scriptures that refer to "the third day" and since 'on the third day" and after 3 days can not be the same. I lean towards the "on the tihrd day".

12. thegospelgeek

thegospelgeek New Member

Actually i graduated first in my class, summa cume somethin or other in Computer Engineering, so I think my logic is fairly sound.

13. thegospelgeek

thegospelgeek New Member

I'm bored. Sorry for being so brash. I apologize. It was rude of me.

But after 3 days and "on the third day" can not be equivelent terms. We must choose one or the other

14. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Dr. Charles Halff, Director of the Christian Jew Foundation, in writing "The Fallacies of Easter" states;
    Sometimes people ask, 'Didn't the Jews count part of a day as a whole day or part of a night as a whole night?' Let me say this, beloved. Whenever you have the expression 'day and night' mentioned together in the Hebrew Scriptures, it always means a full day and a full night. For instance, if you will turn to Esther 4:16; 5:1; 1 Samuel; 30:12-13, and of course Jonah 1:17, you will find the expression 'three days and three nights.' And in every instance it means full days and full nights - not part of a day and part of a night."

15. stilllearning

stilllearning Active Member

Hello thegospelgeek

You said..........
    Interesting.

So I guess if your Church held a Christmas play, and showed the angels & the shepherds & the magi, all coming to Jesus on the same night, you wouldn’t mind?
    --------------------------------------------------
    What I see here is simply a disrespect for Scripture.

16. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

Do you work for this guy? You've run this quote four times.

17. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

It seems that some cannot or do not read or have a short memory. The post is no doubt a problem as it throws a rock into the Friday crucifixion, but it is also evidence that needs to be presented over and over as some cannot hear. I can get several other Jewish scholars to confirm this if you like, but they say the same thing.
    Thank you for asking.

18. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

Not that I agree with you (for I do not), but I would be interested to know who these other scholars are that you mention.

19. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

20. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.