1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Rev 2:13 -- Satan's Throne in Pergamum

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Bismarck, Apr 20, 2007.

1. Bismarck

Bismarck New Member

In Revelations 2:13, the Messiah says that "Satan's throne" is in Pergamum, a city in western Anatolia (today called Asia Minor or Turkey). According to Strong's Concordance, the Greek word Thronos ("throne", or "seat" in KJV) indicates a seat of power, authority and government. Therefore, I believe that the simplest explanation for why the Messiah said "Satan's throne" is in Pergamum is because Pergamum was the Roman Capital -- to wit, the "seat of Roman Government" -- of Asia. Now, here is a map of the Roman province of Asia:

As you can see, the Roman province of Asia encompasses all "seven churches which are in Asia" (Rev 1:4). In fact, the Messiah seems to be using the Roman name of the region, "Asia". Thus, I propose that the reason why "Satan's throne" is in Pergamamum is because Pergamum was the Roman provincial capital -- the "seat of Rome's government" of the area.

After all, Revelations refers to Rome as "the great whore that sitteth upon many waters(17:1)" and as "BABYLON THE GREAT, THE MOTHER OF HARLOTS AND ABOMINATIONS OF THE EARTH (17:5)". Rome is clearly painted as the arch-enemy of God's designs, and that is satan. Therefore, Pergamum is called "Satan's throne" (Rev 2:13) simply because Pergamum was the provincial capital of Rome, the "great satan" of the first century CE.

2. Bismarck

Bismarck New Member

This is a good link about Pergamum in Revelations:

The author points out that twice in the letter to Pergamum (Rev 2:12-17), the Messiah refers to himself as having a sword. The author then adds:

This agrees with my argument above that "Satan's throne" refers to Pergamum as the Roman capital and seat of Roman government in that province. Again, Revelations calls the Roman government the mother of all whores and abominations, and as Babylon (cf. the Tower of Babel), clearly references to "satan".

3. skypair

skypair Active Member

Bismark

I have always read that the "mother-child" worship of Babylon was, at the time of John's writing, centered in Pergammum. That is why it was "Satan's seat."

The followon to this is that it moved to Italy under the title "(???) Mystery" religion. There Constantine adopted its feasts and rituals along with Christianity as his state religion and built many of its temples. It gravitated to Rome where it is found in The Revelation during the tribulation, Rev 17:18.

skypair

4. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

The "throne of Satan" is used because he exercised dominion there, not because he was physically there or headquarted there. It has to do with his rule over them.

For example, GW Bush is president and his "throne" extends to Guam, since it's a part of the US, but he's not physically there, neither is he headquarted there.

I also think you will find that the woman is not the RCC, but Islam. This is Scriptural. There is also much worldly evidence to support this, based upon Scripture.

However, I think the beast in Revelation 17 is the RCC. This is opinion, based upon worldly evidence that seems to line up with Scripture.

When the RCC and Islam signed their pact, they united half the world under one umbrella.

Constantine adopted many of its customs, but just because I adopt some of the customs of a Shaolin monk, does not make me a Shaolin monk.