1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Revelation 1:7 and Partial-Preterism

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Nov 8, 2017.

1. asterisktom

asterisktom Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was not "forgetting" anything. I was trying to get you on a certain part of your verse. I don't know why I bother, though. You see what you want to see.

And why the Greek lesson? I know that. The same Jesus of Acts 1:11 is the same One who returned at the Parousia. He is the same Jesus of the Old Testament too. And the same Jesus of eternity past and eternity future.

Seeing that Jesus said, "Before Abraham was I AM" why are you even making this comment?

His sameness does not mean that because He was physical during the Incarnation that He will always be thus - or that He always was thus.

2. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Messiah will return and step upon the Mount of Olives, did that happen AD 70? was to be a great earthquake when that event happened also!

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't know why you bother either.
    His sameness means that he will be the same when He returns. If He returned as a Sprit, He would be different. Duh!
    "Behold My hands and feet, that it is I myself. handle Me and see....." (Luke 24:39). See what? That it was He Himself. That He was not a sprit. When the Lord Jesus comes again it will be He Himself. That is what Acts 1:11 says.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. asterisktom

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "If He returned as a Spirit He would be different." Really? Then when He came to Earth He was different also - according to your logic. The Jesus of the Old Testament was a different Jesus. Yet He said "Before Abraham was I AM".

Your twisted logic gives us two Jesus's. Jesus Pre-incarnate and Jesus Incarnate.

Think, man. Look at the verse I gave you and reevaluate what you are saying.

If my positing Jesus being now pure Spirit, having no physical body, is a different Jesus then, ergo, your Jesus would also be a different Jesus from the Old Testament (since - surely you agree, unless you are a Mormon - that Jesus had no physical body then. This puts the lie to three things (at least three):

1. The verse I quoted twice, which you ignored twice
    2. The whole doctrine of the Incarnation
    3. The whole doctrine of soteriology.

5. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of course He would be different, not in essence, but in form. He would not be 'That same Jesus' as I already proved by quoting Luke 24:39. If you were to die and return as a ghost, you would obviously be different-- you wouldn't have a body, would you? Sheesh!
    At the Incarnation, the Lord Jesus became something He had never been-- He took on flesh. Nowhere in Scripture does it say that He removed it.

Now, let's get to business.
    The Lord Jesus returned to heaven with a physical body. I suppose that you will not deny that. He will return in the same manner in which He left.
    He left visibly. 'While they watched.' Ergo, He will return visibly. Now you tell me who saw Him return in AD 70. That's right, no one. He will return 'in like manner,' that is, visibly.
    He left physically, unless you believe that He hung up the body He appeared with in Luke 24:36ff somewhere. He will return 'in like manner.'
    His leaving was eventually obscured by clouds. He will return with clouds; that is, clouds will part to reveal Him.

It is so clear a child could understand it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. asterisktom

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The usual insult. In lieu of actually addressing the points I raised. No sense quoting the verse a third time, or repeating my points. Your theology has hemmed you in so you are unwilling to see the true force of these verses.

The real Jesus is not summed up in a physical body. He always was and is God, before, during and after the Incarnation. Likewise, when we die we do not lose our sameness. We are still the persons we were. Otherwise the term eternal life would be a lie.

#66 asterisktom, Nov 11, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh, come on, man! At least read what I've written. The Lord Jesus Christ is the same in essence, 'yesterday, today and forever,' but at the incarnation, He took on human flesh-- and became different in form.
    And God forbid that I should be the same when the Lord Jesus returns: 'We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed-- in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye......' (1 Corinthians 15:51-52). If we shall all be changed, we shall not be the same QED. But when the Lord Jesus Christ returns, it will be the same Jesus who left, in the same body of 'flesh and bones' in which He left. The same Jesus; get it?

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. asterisktom

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, I tried. But, yes, I read everything you wrote. I don't skim over others' posts just to hurry back an answer. It is you, I believe, who did not duly consider my point.

9. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you're referring to your post #57, I have answered it, although I am not a 'futurist' as you seem to suggest.
    Acts 1:11 helps to explain the various 'coming with the clouds' verses. Just as clouds closed over the Lord Jesus to conceal Him from the apostles' sight, so at the end of time they will part to reveal Him so that 'every eye shall see Him.' The same Jesus will be returning in the same way.

10. asterisktom

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I didn't mean to pigeonhole you by the term "futurist". I realize that there are great differences between your view and, say, robycop3.

11. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

WE have the benefit of hindsight, with ALL of God's word to man in front of us. Now, while jesus spoke MILLIONS of words during His life as a man, He chose which ones were to be preserved forever and available to us.

Those words include certain prophecies He made, which MUST come to pass, EXACTLY, AS HE CAUSED THEM TO BE WRITTEN. And he spoke them in plain language that cannot be mistaken for anything else.

The mark of a cultist or false worshipper is to say, "Here's what this verse REALLY means..." or "That verse doesn't mean what it SEEMS to say..."

That's what preterism does! prets ask us to believe THEIR interps of certain Scriptures, reducing them to "figurative" language to fit their agenda. Well, the whole pret thingie is MAN-MADE & FALSE, phony as a Ford Corvette!

Preterists CANNOT prove one of their pro-pret statements!

12. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Revelation says the armies OF THE EARTH shall twice gather against Jesus, both at His return, and at the end of the millenium.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

ALL preterism is false. Matthew 24:29 nollies partial preterism. If the great trib had already occurred, Jesus is long-overdue!

And there have been meny worse events than the 70 AD siege of Jerusalem. But JESUS said the trib would be the worst-ever! I believe JESUS, not the pronouncements of men, made from imagination, conjecture, & guesswork.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Once again....

The preterist case is futile without ***PROOF/EVIDENCE/DOCUMENTATION*** that the events they SAY have occurred, HAVE actually occurred! And just SAYING they've occurred isn't PROOF!

Those events are completely absent from history. Given their huge size & profound nature, history would NOT have missed them!

Preterism is simply man-made hooey.