1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Rick Warren & Muslims???

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by SolaSaint, Feb 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Our brother here is correct.

I have some issues with Rick Warren myself, but the man tells you what he believes. If he directly states his opinion, I am going to accept that as his perspective unless I am given a compelling reason not to believe him.

An article that does not quote Warren and seems to make unwarranted assumptions about his beliefs, does not have the same level of credibility as a direct statement from the man himself.

Remember that lots of people (even in this forum) apparently don't know the difference between the love and respect of people with whom we disagree versus accepting their belief system as true and condoning their actions. They think you must hate people with whom you disagree.

2. SolaSaint

SolaSaint Well-Known Member

You are right Ann, I shouldn't have called him a Muslim, can I edit the title?

However I still feel he has allowed a heretical program (King's Way) to continue even when many have acknowledged it is heretical. Even though we don't have a direct quote from Warren that he believes we worship the same God, his silence is condemning.

Warren has aligned himself with some very scary people in the past and he still is at it. Can any Christian on the board really feel that his endorsement of Brian McLaren and other heretical new agers be correct? Warren has good intentions I'm sure, but I feel he is soooo deceived.

In the King's Way group they say they will not try to convert each other and just work on common beliefs. I wish Warren would state those beliefs publically. If they don't believe in the same God and don't trry to convert, are the Christians being true to the gospel of Christ? I think Warren has gone too far this time.

Do a little research on Warren and his connections with the Emergent folk, especially the ones trying to bring Protestants back into the Catholic fold and you will see some very worrisome stuff. FYI

3. SolaSaint

Good point Tom, and that is what has me worried.

4. SolaSaint

5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

You have been supplied a direct quote from Warren...yet maintain he's silent?

6. SolaSaint

Thanks for whoever changed the Title, it is more fitting. I was being crude.

Webdog, not sure what you are meaning? Please elaborate..Warren hasn't made a direct quote, it is only what others are saying he said.

#46 SolaSaint, Feb 28, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2012
  7. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

The Bible teaches us that those who deny the Son---also denies the Father!!!

Islam is a religion of deniel!!!

8. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Thank you for that. :)

9. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

10. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

That is an older quote - not one that is more recent responding to this new information.

11. SolaSaint

WebDog,

That was a quote from July 2011, I would like to see what he is saying about the recent accusations. There are about 3 sources now that state Warren claims Muslims and Christians serve the same God. I would like him to address that since it is his church that is promoting what has caused all this mess.

12. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

This is a comment from Pastor Warren about the article:
    “I deeply love my Muslim neighbors but this article contains multiple errors – factually and theologically that neither our dear friends in the Muslim Community nor the Christians at Saddleback Church would agree with.”

I'm always amazed at how fast people charge into these conversations with their fists up and expecting to find glory by beating up other ministries. We should never besmirch the ministry or name of a person based on poor information. Though I appreciate Pastor Warren's ministry, and believe it is Gospel centered, there are things that I don't necessarily agree with (which hopefully doesn't make me a mindless sycophant.) But here, shouldn't we give him the benefit of the doubt and await his reply before tearing down his ministry.

Right now our church is reaching out to the growing Muslim population in our region. I attend multiple interfaith conversations because they are important and we need to have them. We take groups of our people and go on a city wide tour of various places of worship (syangogue, Mosque, Hindu temple, etc) to expose our people to the various religions in our backyard. We then take the second step and equip them with how to lovingly respond to those outside of Christianity. Our next door neighbors are Muslim and we have eaten with them, enjoyed time with them, and even cut their grass while they're out of town. Too many believers think we can just hole up and pray for the rapture without actually engaging those outside the church. It is leading to our ruin.

Listen, I don't know everything about Saddleback's efforts or even what went on at this interfaith meeting. It isn't my place to savagely comment based on a less than charitable peice in a secular media source. Perhaps we can all step back and take a deep breath.

13. SolaSaint

P&J,

He still didn't solve the question by the statement you provided.

Do you really attend Muslim services or just take tours? Why? Do you really feel that is the way we are to evangelize? Is it scriptural to do that? I see nothing wrong with cutting a Muslim's grass or anything of that sort, but to attend a god worshipping service that worships a false god is beyond what I would do, be very careful my friend.

Also I hope you don't feel I'm a "Mindless sycophant".

14. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Lot of Warren haters on board... Most don't even know why, they just follow the herd.

The issue with Islam is called MISSIONS.

15. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Amen. First off, we can't minister to them if we don't understand them. When we discuss their faith, shouldn't we at least know it a little? I thank God for a wonderful missionary coming to our church and teaching a great class on it and clearing up many misconceptions about Islam for us. Then we need to know that these are people who need a Savior. They are people just like us who need a friend and as preachinginjesus does - need a lawn mowed!! When we can minister to them, we earn the right to be heard and just maybe, they will then begin to hear the Gospel. Let's not just decide they are evil and run away from them as if they have cooties. Let's understand them, love them and bring the Gospel to them!!

As for Rick Warren, I definitely don't agree with everything he does but goodness knows, he's not Satan incarnate. LOL

16. SolaSaint

If you are referring to me, please , you don't know me or my past experiences with Rick Warren. Me and my family and my church were burned pretty bad by a pastor who was sold out to Rick Warren and his Church Growth and marketing principles. I've also done a lot of research on him and he dabbles into false practices a little to much IMO. Scripture tells us to be united but not at the cost of truth, and that is where I feel Warren has crossed the line.

17. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

I've worked on doctoral level projects with some men who were former Muslims and who were/are working on the many issues that exist in Islamic missional advances. Most do not understand the various nuances involved in the discussion -- or that we can actually use the Koran (Q'ran) for Christian evangelism in much the same way we use tracts, for even in its severely perverted state it STILL points to ISA (Jesus) as the highest prophet and speaks about His life in ways that mirror the source document -- the OT and NT Scriptures.

Warren may be completely above board with this effort -- and likely is -- and yet just the fact that his name is mentioned in concert with Islam and he ends up reviled (again, what else is new).

About Warren in particular, I have not yet researched this latest issue so I have no informed opinion -- and from what I have seen here, neither does anyone else -- but in the tradition of the BB and of Baptist in general, if there are 3, there will be 5 opinions and a church split in the making. We're our own worst enemies on most days!

18. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

19. SolaSaint

Let's do a sample of what it might look like at a King's Way service. When the teacher/leader asks for people to open God's word, what will they open? The koran or the bible. I know this probably won't happen because seekers don't carry bibles to church and thus seeker Muslim's probably don't carry their korans either.

That was for laughs all you Warren sympathizers.:laugh:

20. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Jesus was mentioned as associating with tax collectors, etc. I was once told by a former seminary professor that if both sides are shooting at you then you are probably doing the right thing as Jesus did. Jesus was shot as by both sides when he was asked about a reason for divorce.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.