1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Rick Warren speaks to unbelievers

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Beth, Feb 7, 2008.

1. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He did worse than not preach the Gospel, he told them a lie saying, "God smiles" when they just be themselves, when the truth is they're going to hell on a greased pole for just being themselves.

Yeah, mine and God's, 1 Cor. 3:11.

Others don't know the Scriptures as well as they should.

**Implied insult removed**

#81 Aaron, Feb 8, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2008
  2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

According to your theology, they are what God decreed...so why wouldn't He be smiling? Do you honestly think God frowns when the unrighteous treat others good (and I'm not talking about their works of righteousness counting as anything).

3. dan e.

dan e. New Member

#83 dan e., Feb 8, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2008
  4. standingfirminChrist

Psalms 7:11 God judgeth the righteous, and God is angry with the wicked every day.

Doesn't sound like God is smiling at them to me.

5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I don't believe God is angry when a lost person feeds the poor, nor does that verse imply doing so is wickedness.

6. christianyouth

christianyouth New Member

Even that good deed that the lost person does is sin in God's sight. Anything that does not spring forth from a desire to glorify God is sin. It's a crazy standard, but "all of our righteouss deeds are as filthy rags." Recgonizing God's standard for righteoussness as being THAT high, makes us appreciate Christ.

7. rbell

rbell Active Member

Um, the televangelists you mentioned earlier are "name it and claim it" charlatans who have bilked their followers out of millions--by promising that God will bless them if they give to their ministry.

You implied Warren does that. He doesn't. If you have issues with him, OK then...but don't lob accusations that aren't based in fact.

8. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I honestly believe what the Scriptures say. Without faith, it is impossible to please Him, Heb. 11:6.

The surprising thing about this is that one does not have to be a theologian to expose fundamental flaws in the talk. It was punctuated with secular humanism throughout, and the lie is exposed in the light of the sincere milk of the word. Even a babe in Christ should see it.

9. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have not seen anyone criticizing a lost person helping others. What is in error is to leave that lost person lost. But in the end scripture says just what Arron says it says. It is impossible to please God without faith. The actions of the lost have no eternal value. And Rw's ecumenicalism make everyone "OK" where they are at. That is another gospel.

10. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Sin is the breaking of God's Law. God commands us to love your neighbor as yourself. The unrighteous doing that is not sin. Your bolded above is in regards to justification, btw. I agree the unrighteous are not justified by doing good works, but they are not sin nonetheless.

11. christianyouth

christianyouth New Member

Hrm.. I was thinking about this and I think you are right. I do think the lost commit 'good deeds', but wouldn't you agree that even those good deeds are tainted by sin? To me, they certainly seem like good acts. Just not sure about this though.(note, apart from the atonement all that is left is wrath. That is why it was wrong for him to speak about God smiling on our good deeds like that).

I'm not sure which view is correct. I know that some teach that ALL that a lost person does prior to conversion is sin. Any thoughts?

12. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Break one commandment, and you're guilty of all 2:10. There's no pleasing God just here and there.

13. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    In the eyes of our Holy God, even the things we perceive as "righteous" are unclean.

In my eyes, though, a person might give $10,000 to my church and that is a "righteous" deed.

God sees the heart that is totally wicked and from a wicked heart no good thing can ensue. Bob? With that check in front of me, all I see are the Benjamins . . . :laugh:

14. dan e.

dan e. New Member

15. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

The gospel has always been preached to people from different "contexts" than the one when Jesus was on earth. As long as the message is true to Christ's teachings it makes no difference except it speaks to a new generation.

16. ShotGunWillie

ShotGunWillie New Member

Your right about one thing, the "claim it, name it" crew gets money for nothing. RW gets money for a self-help book that provides nothing but generic cliche rhetoric that leads people to search within themselves for the answers to life's questions, not seeking guidance from the One who has the answers.

Either way, both groups are leading people further astray.

17. ShotGunWillie

ShotGunWillie New Member

Did I say he should have preached a sermon? I didn't think I did.

If you are going to mention God and His word at least do it right or don't bother at all. If I don't have an answer to a question, I don't make one up to please the ears of the one asking.

Do you receive a merit badge for defending him so?

18. lbaker

lbaker New Member

What about Cornelius?

The angel answered, "Your prayers and gifts to the poor have come up as a memorial offering before God."