1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Rick Warren

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Reynolds, Aug 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Calminian

Calminian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Yes, he's been a pastor at MacArthur's church for many years.

2. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was confused, as I KNOW that he would be into tongue talking!

3. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I haven't mentioned my understanding of Scripture. I asked if, as she said, that what the bible teaches on the subject of spiritual gifts was not important why did God put it in the bible?

4. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Itis very important that we come to a valid understanding on just what the gifts in operation meant in Acts, and what they mean to us today!

5. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes. When someone posts a video to support his false assertions he has to expect the video to be critiqued.

I am not discussing the current SBC President, and have not appealed to the current SBC President to support my assertions.

6. Calminian

Site Supporter

I'm a cessationist and am very critical of the continuationist movement. But frankly I hate poisoning the well arguments. There are some good guys out there that are wrong on tongues. One of the best documentaries on the radical New Apolositic Reformation movement is by Andrew Strom. He's a Pentecostal, but has done more to expose the nonsense in the charismatic movement than most cessationists. I'll disagree with him on tongues, but I'd be a fool to dismiss the good work he's done. Poisoning the well is never a good argument. Among other things, it's lazy.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    One of the very best book written to expose the junk theology of tyhe WOF and pros[erity churches was by one who graduated ORU, belive was A Different Gospel. He was still a Charasmatic...

8. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes. You said:

9. KJVOBible

KJVOBible Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well I shouldn't have worded it that way, I apologize... of course Scripture matters, but what I WAS trying to say is that some things like futuristic events, and whether we have the Gifts or not is not a Salvational issue. An issue of whether one is saved or not is whether they believe on the true Jesus Christ of the Bible, we are to believe in our heart, and confess with our mouth. The Bible never says that we must get everything right, that we must understand things pertaining to what I said, but it does tell us that we must get the Gospel - the GOOD NEWS right, which is that Christ died for us, and without Him we are doomed to hell for ALL eternity.

When it comes to RW, he makes it seem like there are many paths to God, well that is just not Biblical.

Anyway back to my point, again some things in Scripture we cannot refute or we will cease to be a Christian, like the Trinity! I know people can be confused, but ultimately a saved person will just get it that God consists of Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, anything else is weird and heretical. Likewise if someone said I believe in Christ, but I believe in gandhi, allah, muhammed, buddha, etc. etc. I would believe they were never saved to begin with. There is only ONE way to the Father! and the Bible says if someone tries to reach the Father another way they are a thief and a robber and none of those types can enter into Heaven! We must be blood washed and redeemed and we can be that if we place our faith solely in Christ.

A person who is methodist, presby, pentecostal, whatever CAN be saved if they place their faith in Jesus Christ ALONE for their salvation! whether they believe they can speak in tongues, heal the sick, cast out devils still or not. The Bible never says if anyone continues to believe on or do these things (talking about the Gifts here) that they are not saved anymore, and to say they are unsaved because they believe in those things would be insane because it's by faith in Jesus Christ ONLY. This is outright different than saying I can be a witch and be a Christian too, I can do my yoga squats, sip on my lattees and listen to budhist mantras and teachings and still be saved. NO! that is NOT how it works! can a Christian be confused, YES! but ultimately God wants us to KNOW the Bible and what it says, JESUS IS THE ONLY WAY!

10. Calminian

Site Supporter

You mean "not be"?

11. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, I am sure it would be hard for you to make the case that The SBC President is not a Baptist.

12. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Was the content critiqued? The majority of what I saw was an attack on the messenger, not a critique of the message.

13. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes!

14. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes. All assertions but no evidence to support those assertions.

15. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am of the opinion that a lot of SBC people are not baptists in my understanding of the historic definition. But that is not what we are discussing.

And why would I want to make such a case? Who has proffered the SBC President as evidence of their assertions?

16. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We must not be talking about the same video. Video of Rick Warren saying something. Video of Rick Warren denying he said it. I didn't care about the commentary; Warren spoke for himself.

#116 Reynolds, Aug 20, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. KJVOBible

KJVOBible Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have personally seen, heard, and read enough of RW's stuff to know how I feel about the guy. The proof is in the pudding, it's sad that the proof is being rejected. So you are absolutely right, RW showed his true colors.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You make the not so subtle inference that those who believe in tongues are not Baptists. The SBC President disagrees with you.

J.d. says:
    The Holy Spirit and The Gift of Tongues – Summit Life with J.D. Greear

• Like Like x 1
  19. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    So what?

20. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So, by your logic the Southern Baptist President is not a Baptist.
    How does that work?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.