1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Right to Work in Colorado ?

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by carpro, Apr 10, 2008.

1. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_8873000

Right-to-work ballot battle builds
    Organizers file signatures despite officials' calls to drop dueling initiatives.

By Tim Hoover and Chris Osher
    The Denver Post

Organizers of a ballot initiative to make Colorado a right-to-work state filed signatures Wednesday to put the issue before voters in November despite pleas from Gov. Bill Ritter and others to stand down.

Snip

The initiative, which is backed by a group called A Better Colorado, would ask voters to amend the state constitution to say that union membership and the payment of union dues or fees could not be mandatory. Unions have opposed the measure and have filed their own ballot proposals.

2. billwald

billwald New Member

Wages to high in Colorado? More likely envious of state govt employees?

3. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your zing zanged. Wanna try again? :)

It's a proven fact that right to work laws are good for the economy of the states that have them.

4. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Isn't this like telling your surgeon you're not going to pay him before he does the operation?

Telling your lawyer you're not going to pay him as you walk in the court room?

Telling your pastor you're not going to tithe?? :laugh: :laugh:

5. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your examplles are ludicrous.

It's more like telling a union you're not going to be extorted to get opportunity to work and get no promised return of any kind for your "dues" or have any say in how your money is used.

6. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

Yea, it just hurts the workers who are forced to work for lower wages.

7. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Between 1995 and 2005, U.S. Department of Labor data show private-sector job growth in Right to Work states exceeded private-sector job growth in non-Right to Work states as a group by 79% and in Ohio alone by nearly 500%. Over the same period, inflation-adjusted U.S. Commerce Department data show real personal income growth in Right to Work states exceeded overall personal income growth in non-Right to Work states by 39% and exceeded Ohio’s meager increase by 142%. "

8. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

But you still expect their protection and negotiation on your behalf. If enough of you don't want to pay the union, vote them out. Otherwise it's a union job Complete with dues, grievances and picket lines if you strike.

9. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I expect nothing.

I live in a right to work state and have worked 40 years without ever being a member of a union. Not even once. Not even for a little while.

I have observed that they have done far more harm than good to their members, while the members paid for the privilege of being pawns in the union money and political influence game.

10. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

This means you didn't work at a union job. That is ones choice.

If you choose to work at a union job and don't want to pay dues then the right thing to do is vote the union out.

I generally don't like unions either but they are a company for hire and you must pay for their goods and services.

11. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wrong again.

I had a job once that was "served " by a union. I refused to join. They pressured and threatened this 18 year old continuously to join, but couldn't tell me what my money was going for. Just kinda vague, don't worry about it answers. I needed it worse than they did, I figured.

If I didn't like the job, the pay, or the benefits, I'd move on. That's the American way.

If Coloradans have any sense at all, they will give their economy a boost and vote to be a right to work state.

12. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

So you admit to being a freeloader. Taking the benefits of the union without paying your fair share.

13. billreber

billreber New Member

I work for a company that HAD a union. The local union contract was up for renewal, and at the proposal meeting, the union reps refused to discuss the one thing that almost everybody wanted discussed -- the rising costs of the medical plan. Nine months later, the union was voted out 2 to 1. That was 5 years ago. Our medical premiums went DOWN (and are still lower than what we were paying for the union plan), and we got a larger pay raise than the union was negotiating for us. And this was bad????? We think it was GREAT!

In those nine months, we found that the union was lying to us about many things, in order to try to keep getting our union dues. This included bringing in a speaker from out of town, to "prove" that getting rid of the union was worse for workers than was keeping the union. This speaker had worked for the same company we do, but was down-sized shortly after the union was voted out at their location. The company provided full tuition to retrain this speaker into another career path, which the speaker preferred to be in! And this was bad????

Unions have done many good things in the past (and SOME may be doing good things now), but my experience is that the unions want your dues money to line THEIR pockets, without really helping you. Colorado voters, vote for Right to Work!

Bill:godisgood:

14. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't know what the history of unions is in this country, but where I came from, there were only two types of unions, the leftist ones whose demands were so ridiculous the laborer would just as well forget about his job and go to the hills and fight government, and the management unions who liked to parade themselves as the true union, and put up token fights on behalf of the members, but end up selling out the members to management.

My daughter worked for a Japanese electronics company there back in the early 90's.
    She didn't join the union.
    She got better benefits than those who did join up with the union.
    She received 1 and a half sacks of rice each month, $50.00 worth of groceries, free unlimited and with pay health consultations at their company physicians' office, and free shuttle bus services (with security if her shift happened to be at night time), plus 15 days' vacation each year, and ten days' sick leave with pay accumulating, without prejudice to national holidays.
    By contrast, the union members almost always had their salaries cut in half because they were required to support strikes and pickets, and although their pay was higher than those who were non-union members that percentage of their pay lost half to union dues.
    Basically, both non-union and union members got almost the same benefits from the company, except for the higher pay and exclusion from termination at will.
    I say almost because the union members received only a 3/4 sack of rice each month, no groceries, and a limited number of consultations with the company physician that are without pay, 10 days' leave with pay and 10 days' sick leave with pay, non-accumulating.

That was the company's compromise to other union demands.

Unions are for the most part a pain in the butt for workers.

Not all, but most.

15. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

there was a time in our country, years ago, when the unions truely were needed. but now they are a thing of the past.

I am a welder, and have worked all over the country. I prefer a right to work state because, I feel that it is up to me to negociate my wages and benefits. I dont need to pay someone else to handle my business.

Also, the companys that I worked for that were non-union treated me like a person....a skilled person.....and the union companys were very rude and degrading. The whole attitude changes when you go from a non-union company to a union one. I have even seen union people check tools and clothing for "made in America" logos. In the unions, it is about time and senority, not skills or production. Most union workers that I have worked with are very bitter, and despise our government and even the company they work for.

This is just my personal experiences, and I am sure doesnt mean that every single union worker is hard to get along with.

AJ

16. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

What about Detroit? The most union-friendly city in america?

didnt the UAW put the auto workers out of work, and drive the price of cars way up?

When salary demands got so high that the auto makers couldnt pay, they moved production to right to work states and even mexico.

I wonder how many people in Detroit still love the unions now?

AJ

17. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Union labor rules also made the employees of the ATSF railroad so unproductive, it played a direct part in their closure.

18. billwald

billwald New Member

> I feel that it is up to me to negociate my wages and benefits.

That's fine if you intend to only work for small outfits. How would you go about negotiating with Boeing's personnel dept?

19. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I couldn't believe their health care was completely covered. That is unheard of in this day and age. I'm paying more for a car so an employee could have benefits like that?