1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Righteousness Credited to faith but no Salvation

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by The Biblicist, Apr 24, 2019.

1. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Was Abraham, and other Old Testament saints credited righteousness because of faith that had no gospel connection? Was that justification part and parcel with experiential salvation?

2. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I have been taught that never in the word of God is salvation. .BECAUSE OF FAITH
    It is always said to be by, or through faith.
    Faith is a grace gift and instrumentality.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Reformed1689

Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, faith is given before it can be exercised.

4. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I do not believe the Bible teaches anywhere at anytime that ABSTRACT righteousness is credited by faith which does not have its object the gospel of Christ.

The righteousness imputed by faith is Christ's righteousness and the faith that imputes his righteousness is in the gospel of Christ.

There is no other kind of righteousness that justifies sinners any time and there is no other kind of faith that imputes righteousness but faith in the gospel of Christ.

• Like Like x 1
  5. PastoralMusings

PastoralMusings Active Member

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yep!
    John 8:56. 'Your father Abraham rejoiced to see My day, and he saw it and was glad.'

• Like Like x 1
  7. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Expansionism is where something that may be intended to have limited scope or range is interpreted as having extensive or maximum scope and range. It is a faulty practice of interpretation.

Galatians 3:8 says God preached part of the gospel to Abraham, that his seed would bless all nations. To claim this verse supports the preaching of other parts of the gospel to Abraham is a bridge too far.

Similarly, John 5:39 certainly says the OT taught of the Jesus, the coming Messiah, but Christ was a mystery revealed in the New Testament.

Abraham saw (relying on the promised Messiah) "my day" from afar and rejoiced.

Or you can embrace expansionist theology and expand scripture to fit your doctrine.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. PastoralMusings

No, actually inspired Scripture shows us the sensus plenior ...

9. Danthemailman

Danthemailman Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I find it interesting that in Ephesians 3:1-9, we read - For this reason I, Paul, the prisoner of Christ Jesus for you Gentiles--if indeed you have heard of the dispensation of the grace of God which was given to me for you, how that by revelation He made known to me the mystery (as I have briefly written already, by which, when you read, you may understand my knowledge in the mystery of Christ), which in other ages was not made known to the sons of men, as it has now been revealed by the Spirit to His holy apostles and prophets: that the Gentiles should be fellow heirs, of the same body, and partakers of His promise in Christ through the gospel, of which I became a minister according to the gift of the grace of God given to me by the effective working of His power. To me, who am less than the least of all the saints, this grace was given, that I should preach among the Gentiles the unsearchable riches of Christ, and to make all see what is the fellowship of the mystery, which from the beginning of the ages has been hidden in God who created all things through Jesus Christ.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Expansionist advocacy by any name is still reading between the lines, deriving doctrine from what scripture does not actually say. Speculation is the mother of false doctrine.

11. PastoralMusings

Whatever expansionist advocacy is, I simply know that Jesus showed that the Scriptures spoke of Himself Luke 24:25-27.

Paul stated that the seed is Christ. Galatians 3:16

Furthermore, Scripture is a unity, a thematic whole.
    Genesis 3:15 the seed is promised
    Genesis 12:1-3 the seed promised through Abram
    Genesis 21:12 the seed called in Isaac
    Genesis 25:23 in Jacob
    Genesis 49:10 in Judah
    2 Samuel 7; Isaiah 9:6-7 in David
    And fulfilled in Jesus the Christ Luke 1&2; Galatians 4:4-5;Hebrews 2:14;Romans 16:20;Revelation 20:1-15

Regardless of the name one calls it, Bible believing people understand and accept the fact that Scripture’s purpose is to reveal God to us, and to show us the way of redemption in His Son. To claim that leads to false doctrine is an incorrect and unjust statement that absolutely contradicts the very words of Jesus in Luke 24:25-27 and John 5:39. Paul attested to this as well in Romans 15:8-13, where he tells us Christ fulfills the promises to the fathers that we might have hope in Christ and give God glory.