1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Rise of Calvinism pt.2

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by Iconoclast, Jan 5, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The "classic: held view among Reformed and Calvinist Baptists is the penal substitutionary .

• Like Like x 1
  2. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Its growing among the SBC, for example!

3. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think you are making things up.

Perhaps Aulén's book started the title (it did "Christus Victor"), but that is not why I use the term. I use it because this is how I have seen it used in theological discussions.

Please provide a theological sources that speak of Penal Substitution Theory as the "Classic view" of Atonement.

4. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You and @davidtaylorjr seem to be making things up and taking an emotional position on a theological term. This is juvenile as it is the doctrine, not what the doctrine is called, that matters.

This is from the Alliance of Confessing Evangelicals

"Of course, the thrust of this "ransom" or "classic theory" of the atonement is to emphasize that the cross of Christ more than just a satisfaction of the penalty of sin; it is a mighty victory over the power of sin, death, and the devil--something that many of us confessional Protestants could emphasize a bit more."

(The Alliance is a coalition of pastors, scholars, and churchmen who hold the historic creeds and confessions of the Reformed faith)

5. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please provide the research to which you are referring. There is a difference between loud/ disruptive and growing.

6. Reformed1689

Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, but again, that means it is just an arbitrary term as I have already stated.

Are you going to retract your statement that the Barna research was a 2019 article?

7. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is not an arbitrary term (as you proved by referencing Liberty's use of the term, Aulén's use, and the Reformed quote I provided to speak of the same specific teaching).

No. I will not retract my statement. I read it in a 2019 article but went to the source (which was a 2010 report). I always try to go to the original sources when possible (something I learned in college and why I am not a Calvinist).

Do you have more recent research that shows Calvinism growing stronger in relation to other views?

8. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    It was arbitrarily assigned.

Then what article did you read? I asked you for the link to what you read (you claimed a 2019 article) and instead I got a link to 2010 research.... Do you see why that raises an eyebrow?

Again, I don't even know how you would quantify that. For example, I don't go to a Calvinist church, so does that mean I am contributing to the Arminian number? Attendance at a Church doesn't mean anything.

9. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The fact you find
    "The “classic view” (subjective theory) and the “Latin view” (objective theory) are two approaches to the Atonement. The “classic view” looks at atonement on the grounds of a change taking place in men rather than a changing God’s attitude towards men. The “Latin view” looks at God as the object of Christ’s atoning work via a reconciliation through satisfaction (in Penal Substitution Theory this is satisfaction to God’s justice, in Satisfaction Theory to God's honor, in Aquinas' Substitution Theory in the form of merit)." as arbitrary is odd. Seems rather specific.

You do know that" Calvinism" originally stood for "anti-Lutherism" in terms of communion.

What matters is doctrine, not what you want to call doctrine.

I think it is telling that you have not addressed any doctrine here but instead whined about my use of an accepted use of a theological term and cried that I provided an original source rather than the article that pointed me to the source.

10. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, that I pointed out that your post was misleading at best, deceptive at worst about the year that research was conducted.

11. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    So you have no more current data?

Interesting.

I think sometimes people are simply too willing to be misled. Sometimes they are fools and this can't be helped. But other times people just want a cause and a sense of perceived wrong to argue against. I think this is just smoke to hide their inability to grapple with opposing views.

And then, of course, there is the actual doctrines that separate our positions - something you, in your many posts, have not even addressed.

12. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm saying the data is faulty to begin with. It assumes that if someone is in an Arminian church they are themselves Arminian and same with Calvinism. It's bad from the start.

And the fact that you still won't acknowledge you were misleading in your post is telling.

13. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Remember the Young Restless Reformed book their hype man Collin Hansen put out?

He profiled such shooting stars as:

Mark Driscoll (we know how that turned out)
    CJ Mahaney ditto
    Timmy Brister (now selling insurance)
    Joshua Harris ahem

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How about is the prominent view held among both Reformed and Calvinistic Baptists?

15. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    But (aside from people attending churches that teach what they do not believe) what data have you offered to support the idea of Calvinistic growth. Looks like the same people saying the same thing for the same few decades while their churches are not growing.

16. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    the change of man is directly due to how God views that man, depending if now in Christ or still in Adam!!
    The wrath of God still needs to have an object for it, and its either going to be Jesus or us!

17. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is called "Penal Substitution Theory". It falls under the "Latin view" (objective theory). The reason is it approaches the Atonement as a work to appease God to change His attitude towards us (Christ is punished by God to satisfy God's wrath towards us).

18. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    the very heart of the Gospel is the Cross of Christ and his resurrection, and the very heart of that is His penal substitionary death!

19. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Pleaae provide a verse or if none exists the philosophy justifying this idea.

20. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Would you agree that it is the prominent view held by those 2 groups?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.