1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Rob Bell Interview

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by quantumfaith, Mar 17, 2011.

1. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I located a copy of the NBC broadcast from February!

Stay tuned for my transcript of Redeemer Presbyterian parishoner Martin Bashir's late night talk show discourse on the inerrancy of scripture.

2. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    money. agreed. the love of it makes the world go spinning round, even the "theological" and "Christian" world.

3. Osage Bluestem

Our pastor played this clip on the big screen on Sunday and explained to the congregation why it was wrong, then he boldly preached the gospel of salvation in no other name but Jesus.

4. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

It is actually good news to me that these guys come out for who they are. False teachers creed in unware. But eventually their folly is exposed.

Praise the Lord this man's folly is exposed.

5. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "False teachers creed in unaware"! False teachers sometimes slip in among you unnoticed, you mean.

Yes,I think this interview was excellent in that it exposed Mr.Bell for what he is. He was put under the light. No discerning Christian will fall for his stuff. He's been outed.

6. SolaSaint

SolaSaint Well-Known Member

Earth,

are you saying that Spong is agreeing that Bell is selling manure or that Spong has done it himself? Thanks for a reply, I'm interested in anything said by Spong.

7. PeterM

PeterM Member

Sad... genuinely sad.

Probably the thing that bugs me most is this notion that church is the place we go to "figure out" what the Bible says. Since when can I or anyone figure out what God's Word says? Am I not dependent on the Holy Spirit to illuminate me to the truth? And if I am dependent on God for revelation, restoration, and illumination my struggle is not in achieving those things, it is in my availing myself to the disciplines of "asking, seeking, and knocking" but then ultimately trusting that God will indeed answer, reveal, and open.

I guess the "cool factor" of wrestling with the things of God is lost on me, since God has so completely shown Himself in His Word.

8. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

i don't know that Spong has weighed in on the Rob Bell issue. Haven't seen anything from him in the press that I scan.

But, Spong is a problem in and of himself. A heretic of the first order. Doesn't really matter what he says or how he weighs in -- he is not one who's opinion should matter in the Christian world. The MSNBC reporter walks closer to God and asks better questions/responses than would Spong on this issue.

Edit: I did some poking around and found a blog dated to BEFORE Bell released his latest book that illustrates that some saw him moving in this direction a long time ago. the writer ties Bell and Spong, though not directly.

http://robrynders.com/2010/two-days-with-rob-bell-and-john-shelby-spong/#

#28 glfredrick, Mar 23, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2011
  9. ReformedBaptist

creep in is what I meant :thumbs:

Just saw an article where Brian McLaren is defending Rob Bell. Let them all be known for what they are.

10. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

It's pretty clear that the Emergent group has come full circle in their desire to re-reform the Church. They started with theological liberalism and have ended with it.

Honestly I was blown away by Brian McLaren's piece that went after Dr. Mohler. (It's available right here: http://brianmclaren.net/archives/blog/challenging-three-cherished-evan.html ) He basically comes out with a deconstructionist malaise that is channeling Kant's noumena in the phenomena. Now granted, McLaren discredited himself as an original theological thinker with his book A New Kind of Christianity a year or so ago.

Now Dr. Mohler has replied with this rather well put together post: http://www.albertmohler.com/2011/03...ion-worth-having-a-response-to-brian-mclaren/

I really hope that we can finally see the Emergent (note, this is not the same as emerging) leadership actually join together with biblical evangelicals in discussion instead of just talking to themselves. Perhaps this will allow all of evangelicalism to see an honest debate between the two sides. Maybe...

11. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Lately I've had several church members as me about the emergent movement. Being that the emergent movement is somewhat diverse and hard to pin down on anything of relevance I simply explained that the emergent movement is old time liberalism wearing a new set of threads. It led people to hell then and it's leading them to hell now.

12. ReformedBaptist

Excellent reply by Mohler.

13. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

From Mohler...

14. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here is a transcript of Redeemer Presbyterian parishoner/MSNBC host Martin Bashir's fascinating discourse on the inerrancy of scripture during his February appearance on the Jimmy Fallon Late Night talk show:

Sounds like Tim Keller's preaching is making quite an impression on him.

Thanks to Rippon for pointing out the connection:thumbs:

15. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Interviewer Bashir being interviewed about the interview:

http://www.godandculture.com/blog/msnbcs-martin-bashir-on-the-paul-edwards-program

Mr. Bashir also:

—disavowed personal connection to particular denominations' attacks on Rob Bell

—revealed that his own daughter attends an "emergent" church.

16. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

I appreciate this statement. I have yet to read his latest book, so I'll reserve comment, but I have always found Bell to be generous and honest, which is something we don't have from most Christian personalities. Much of his thought was fantastic, as well.

He also attended a fantastic school. Doesn't mean he's on top of everything, but it's still cool.

17. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

Bell's not emergent.

18. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

He actually is...

19. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Yeah I think he is. I know getting the Emergent fellows to stand up and all say "I am Sparatcus" is difficult at best, but he really does fall into the movement rather well.