1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Rock Linux

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by Grand_Poobah, Apr 21, 2005.

1. Grand_Poobah

Grand_Poobah New Member

2. David Michael Harris

David Michael Harris Active Member

Not me I use SuSE and Novell Desktop 9, will take a look at rocklinux, first time I have heard of Christian software built in.

David

3. superdave

superdave New Member

Looks pretty good, I am using disk installed distros now, but tried knoppix. I use SuSE/Sun Java Desktop System.

I have been unsuccessful building E-Sword for JDS, library problems.

4. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    SuSE users. I installed it on a drive and didn't have time to deal with the learning curve so wiped the drive, but SuSE retained a portion of the drive. I've fdisked several times with complete formats and it is still there. It does not report on the drive but every now and then when booting it will hang and tell me it can't find something dealing with linix, reboot and it goes to windows.?????

Any ideas. not a big problem but a little aggravation at times.

While I have your attention, I've been told that you can run windows programs on linix. Is this true in a useable way or do the windows programs run a little clunky due to running within another program.

Can you run several windows programs at the same time?

thanks for any thoughts you might have.

5. superdave

superdave New Member

There are several programs that allow for Windows apps on Linux. Tarantella (now owned by Sun) makes some enterprise interoperability products, there is a program called Wine that allows windows apps to run on Linux. Check it out here
    One item of note is that it only works on X86 distros of UNIX, but it does work on BSD, Linux, and Solaris provided the hardware supports the X86 or X64 instruction set. So, no Sparc UNIX boxes can run Wine since it interfaces somewhat directly with the hardware at times just like many Windows apps do :eek: And Sparc has a much more defined Hardware Abstraction Layer in place to keep apps from having too much juice.

Have you tried re-installing windows on the drive where SuSE was? Windows install boot program usually wipes the MBR and wipes out any Linux partition on the drive when you run it. If I have to reload the Windows partition on my laptop, I just go ahead and plan on rebuilding the Linux and Solaris Partitions as well. Those two play nice when they get installed, so they go on second, they actually recognize the Windows partition and create mount points for it so the data can be accessed even when one of the UNIX partitions is booted.

6. Grand_Poobah

Grand_Poobah New Member

fdisk won't do it for SUSE; you'd use FIPS, which is a partition tool for Linux. Use FIPS to remove the undesired partition.

More on FIPS
    http://www.igd.fhg.de/~aschaefe/fips/

Windows apps are run in an emulator for windows called WINE (WINdows Emulator) that runs a few programs. Forget e-sword, although I've actually seen the splash screen. Essentially, more complicated programs won't work.

I hope that helps.

7. Grand_Poobah

Grand_Poobah New Member

If you have redhat linux, Disk Druid runs rings around fips for user friendliness.

8. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks gentlemen! Have been thinking of giving linix another whirl when I get some more time. I liked what I saw, but didn't have time to mess with it at the time.

Would need E-sword though :) or an IR to transfer from the ppc :)

9. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

I have just started using Ubuntu Linux. It even found my wireless network card. As they say at McDonalds, "I'm lovin' it!"

10. baptistteacher

Site Supporter

Is "Lindows" still available?

11. Grand_Poobah

Grand_Poobah New Member