1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Rod Bell no longer at his church

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Chick Daniels, Jan 14, 2004.

1. Chick Daniels

Chick Daniels Member

From what I have been told, Rod Bell, the president of the FBF, President of Tabernacle Baptist College, and the Pastor of Tabernacle Baptist Church of Virginia Beach, has left that ministry due to a scandal relating to his son who was being primed to take over that ministry. Does anyone have any more details about this?

Chick Daniels

(oops...probably should have posted this in the Fundamental Baptist page...maybe a moderator could move it for me. I haven't been on the board here in quite a while)

2. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Hey, my friend, good to see you back ... It's been a while.

It is true and for unfortunate reasons. Here is a link to the FF and a discussion there. It is easier than reprinting the info here. This was public knowledge and printed in Frontline, I am told, though I usually don't read it.

web page

3. Chick Daniels

Chick Daniels Member

Hi Pastor Larry, Its good to hear from you. I just haven't had time lately to do much posting. I don't really read Frontline either. I couldn't stomach an article a few years ago by Rod Bell on the blood of Christ. The implications of his position was that Christ was not fully a human being.

Best wishes,

Chick

4. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

I remember that article. It was from a series of editorials on the nature of Christ. That was a serious problem. I am told by someone on the FBF executive committee that a several years ago at a meeting of the big whigs (I don't think it was an FBF meeting but rather another one), the issue was brought up of why younger men are not joining the FBF. The answer was given by an elder statesmen who has since gone on to be with the Lord that what they were hearing from the leaders of the FBF such as Rod Bell was contradictory to what they were learning in their seminaries. This elder statesmen rightly pointed out the need to get our doctrine straight in the magazine and pulpits so that we don't drive men off unnecessarily. As I recall, this blood issue was one of the specific issues that was being discussed. It was a subject of conversation here on the board in the last week or so.

Drop me a PM if you get a chance and let me know what you are up to. Last I remember heaering from you (eons ago), it seemed that things were a little bit up in the air.

5. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    As I read the comments on the page referenced above, it confirmed my thoughts that there was more to the situation than what was printed in the Frontline editorial. However, that being said, I agree with those who observe that all things considered the affair was handled in a better fashion than others have been in the past. For those who think, Brother Bell will be back in a pulpit anytime soon, I doubt that very much, maybe five+ years down the track, but not any time sooner if ever. L'affair Hyles is to vivid a memory for many.

N.B. As of last November, he resigned from all of the boards of which was a member.

6. Chick Daniels

Chick Daniels Member

I didn't see the Frontline article. Did it mention the alcohol abuse? I thought it interesting that his statement of resignation didn't mention it.

7. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

I think it did, but I am not sure about that. I didn't see the article. Those who did told me about it but I don't remember what it said exactly.

8. aefting

aefting New Member

The Frontline article mentions an arrest for public intoxication. It gives the impression of a single event, but posts on the above mentioned message board seems to indicate that there were several events involved. Two things concern me about this situation. The first concerns the way in which these events came to light. My understanding is that a person saw wine on a receipt that Dr. Bell turned in for reimbursement. That person then went back over past receipts and found several other times in which the church paid for Dr. Bell’s alcohol. Wine or otherwise, what is the church doing paying for personal expenses like this? Isn’t that what a salary is for? The second thing is allegations that Dr. Bell may have misappropriated FBF funds. If there are rumors about this, then the FBF, if it is to have any future credibility at all, needs open its books and bring in an independent auditor to confirm their financial integrity. Personally, I hope than any financial shenanigans were limited to Dr. Bell’s church and not the FBF. I greatly respect many of the FBF board members, but there are real reasons why the FBF is dying. As Pastor Larry mentioned earlier, it has lost a lot of credibility among the younger set of fundamentalist pastors. Given the FBF’s long history, I think that is a shame.

Andy

9. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

I was as surprised as anyone to hear of Dr Bell's situation. All I know is what I have seen in Frontline and though my mission board. Dr Bell was a supporting pastor. I do not know what happened and really don't think any of us do. Lets me careful that we don't spread rumours that are just that. What he did do was bad enough without us adding to it.

Let's be ever mindful of "let he that standeth take heed less he fall"

This post is not intended to attack or anger anyone - just a reminder of our responsibilities as brothers.

10. Chick Daniels

Chick Daniels Member

Thanks for your comments Christ4Kildare, the very reason I opened this topic is to find out factually what happened. While some may argue that it is none of our business, I would argue that in part it is. I really don't care to know how many drinks, DUIs, and when, etc. That IS his business. But I think that someone with his clout who issues a resignation statement due to "sin in the camp" is behooved to at least indicate the nature of the sin. Such disclosure is wise, in that it would help diminish the potential for false rumors spreading.

Best wishes,

Chick

11. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

I appreciate your thoughts Chick, Dr Bell's action was sin , he admits in his letter that he is no longer blameless and therefore not qualified to be pastor. His sin being exposed should be a help to others. I just hope that all of us are careful before bringing railing accusation against him. I am not accusing anyone of doing so, but just want us to be careful.

12. Chick Daniels

Chick Daniels Member

It really is sad. I don't have any connection to brother Bell, but its always sad when these things happen. I was at Maranatha Baptist Bible College a few years ago when the president then had his wife leave him, and he had to step down. It is a reminder that we are all made of clay.

Chick

13. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

Just for clarification and not for defense of Bell ... Most pastors are covered by a business expense account. Many (such as myself) are also covered by flex accounts, a medical account set aside tax free at the beginning of the year against which medical expenses can be charged without the income being taxable. Both situations are generally reimbursement accounts for which receipts are required. So that situation, in and of itself, it not particularly concerning. The wine was recommended by a doctor and thus qualifies.

I never heard anything of this nature. Perhaps I missed it somewhere.

There were occasions of public drunkenness and even arrests for it. There was allegedly a coverup involving family members and deacons at the church. How much is true is probably not widely known and probably unnecessary to know. I think Paul's admonition in 1 Tim 5 is appropriate. When an elder falls into sin, he is to be publicly rebuked so that others may fear.

Recent occurrences in the life of Kirk Talley have also brought reproach on the name of Christ. Regardless of what you think of the music and ministry of the Talley's, this is a tragedy of great proportions.

Let these occasions strike fear into all of us, whether elders or laypeople. We are not above any sin that could be committed. There, but for the grace of God, we could be. Keep your spiritual fervency hot and refuse to give a foothold to the schemes of Satan. Tomorrow could be the beginning of the end for those who are not watchful. Do not let it be me or you. Surround yourself with faithful friends who are willing to wound you for the sake of your own spiritual well-being and truth; be willing to be a faithful friend who will lovingly wound others for the sake of their spiritual well-being and truth. Do not become an island unto yourself. Pursue and participate in legitimate accountability relationships.

14. aefting

aefting New Member

Yes, our church has something similar to that, but the expenses that are reimbursable are clearly defined and verified by the treasurer (me). Sometimes pastors get so powerful that they feel they can spend church money with no accountability whatsoever. If a pastor is going to use a medical spending account to purchase wine (and I would really try to find some other alternative), he ought to sit down with his deacons and staff and explain what he is doing and why so that there are no surprises, so that they can protect his name if people see him purchase the stuff, and for accountability.

Allegations of misappropriation of FBF funds appear in the FF discussion that you referenced earlier. If there were financial improprieties at his church (such as funding his alcohol addiction with church monies, and perhaps, as you cautioned, that didn’t happen), then the FBF should publicly demonstrate that Bell did nothing inappropriate with FBF funds.

Andy

15. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

Trust me, I am not defending him in the least. There should be good accountability on church funds and if something is amiss, there should be full information. If FBF funds were alleged to be misused, then the members should demand an audit.

To me, this is a prime case for why abstinence is the best policy. There are plenty of things to drink that don't involve this danger and the reproach to the cause of Christ it has brought.

16. Precepts

Precepts New Member

Proverbs 25:2 It is the glory of God to conceal a thing: but the honour of kings is to search out a matter.

Now why do you think God would inspire a man to write this?

Good admonition, Christ4kildare.

17. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

1 Timothy 5:19-20 19 Do not receive an accusation against an elder except on the basis of two or three witnesses. 20 Those who continue in sin, rebuke in the presence of all, so that the rest also will be fearful of sinning.

There is a biblical mandate for public exposure and rebuke.

18. Precepts

Precepts New Member

1 Timothy 5:19-20 19 Do not receive an accusation against an elder except on the basis of two or three witnesses. 20 Those who continue in sin, rebuke in the presence of all, so that the rest also will be fearful of sinning.

There is a biblical mandate for public exposure and rebuke.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Is this "Rod Bell" present? If he's not then this discussion is mere gossip. Also I see no local church authority present, just a bunch of backbiting.

What about:
    1 Corinthians 10:12 Wherefore let him that thinketh he standeth take heed lest he fall.
    1 Timothy 3:7 Moreover he must have a good report of them which are without; lest he fall into reproach and the snare of the devil.

I never even heard of this fellow until this appeared in BB. Though the downfall of many become the front page news, it would be better to cancel the subscription than to be caught up in slander. Your underwear could be next on the public "clothesline".

Admonition, not enraging banter.

19. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

Rod Bell is a nationally known figure in independent fundamental Baptist circles. He was long time president of the Fundamental Baptist Fellowship. He was a well-known conference speaker as well. There is a reason for public rebuke of public figures.

I would direct you to my comments on the first page where I addressed this very issue.

Rod Bell lost his "good report" through his sinful choices. Therefore, he is no longer qualified to be in the ministry.

But many people had heard of him and many were members of the organization of which he was president. He was the president of a long standing national organization. His sin cannot be swept under the carpet. It is public knowledge. There is no slander taking place.

I would advise that this information be viewed humbly because anyone of us could be caught in the trap of sin. One of the reasons Paul gives for public rebuke is that others may fear. We should be fearful, having seen what happened to an elder.

20. Precepts

Precepts New Member

Whew! Larry, you had me worried there, I thought you were disagreeing with the Bible, but I am IFB and we are not part of any association, and now that I read the posts concerning this guy, my heart goes out to him for falling into the snare of the devil.

On the part of his being a "public figure", well, society put him there, so society has the "right" to drag him across the splinters of glass, but God isn't within a hundred miles of it!

We like to remain as independent of society as we possibly can, We preach the devil out of the "society" that tries to form in our church and will continue to do so until Jesus comes, then society can have this dirt ball!

If you might learn something, I may be a hillbilly, and a backwoods rascal of a guy, but I am not unwise to the wiles of the devil. the devil has used this "high society" page to weaken the church of the Living God, and we will have no part of it.

I wouldn't place him in the likes of Bill Clinton, but since then my "picture" of him and Rod Bell have been both distorted, by those who seem more to point to a half-empty glass, expecting it to run out, instead of looking at the same glass, soon to be filled to overflowing.

I know this will get somebody's attention: this practice of "if they're willing to do it, I'm willing to tell about it" is also a practice of my dear friend, Bro. Kidd.

As far as the unconverted, like Clinton, I can see it's necessity, but in the case of the Brother in question, I think it best handled by his local church and kept out of the public eye. We all know too well how the media "runs" with this kind of thing, so why join a pack of dogs?

I'm not in league with society in this sordid practice, and it would do the Church of the Living God to abstain from this appearance of evil as well. [​IMG]