1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Romans 3:10-18 - All people or just some?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Andy T., Mar 24, 2006.

?
  1. The passage describes everyone in their fallen, lost condition

88.2%
  2. The passage does not describe everyone - only certain bad people like atheists, etc.

11.8%
  3. I have another view (please explain in a post).

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Calvibaptist

Calvibaptist New Member

But you've still haven't shown me why we can dismiss v. 16. Out of this entire discourse with the disciples, why are we supposed to dismiss this one sentence? </font>[/QUOTE]And I would say that John 15:16 is also a personal reminder to the disciples of what Jesus and the Bible had stated publicly to all people before. The Bible is full of verses that describe God choosing particular people (Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Pharaoh, Moses, Jews, Prophets, David, Mary, Elizabeth, the Apostles, the elect) for a particular purpose, sometimes judgement, sometimes for a historical purpose, sometimes salvation.

The selection is always because God decides to favor someone with His grace, and not because of anything in that person. These physical examples are all meant to point us to the spiritual reality. (DID YOU READ THAT LAST SENTENCE ME4HIM?? You should understand it.)

2. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Apparently you haven't read much of the Bible.

"I hope they go the whole way and cut themselves off."

"I'm here because of the resurrection." (A brilliant way to turn the hearing into a mockery by starting a "let's you and him fight" battle between the Pharisees and Sadducees.)

"One of them, a prophet of their own, said, “Cretans are always liars, evil beasts, lazy gluttons.” This testimony is true.

...and so on...

3. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Jesus was demonstrating that he would NOT give away all and follow Him. This was a self-centered person who actually thought he followed all the commandments from his youth and was righteous of his own doing. Jesus exposed his character by asking him to do something he'd never do.

4. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

Notice the results of the poll. That is about what I expected. I'm a little disappointed that only 16 have voted. I suspect that many non-Calvinists abstained from voting because they know the right answer and its implications...